British 2015 Round by Round

Discuss anything you like about chess related matters in this forum.
Tim Harding

Re: British 2015 Round by Round

Post by Tim Harding » Fri Aug 07, 2015 6:27 pm

Stockfish said Rxe3 instead of Nxe3 was winning for R. Pert. Not that obvious.

Australia lost their 7th wicket a couple of minutes ago. Off for bad light.
Tim Harding
Historian and FIDE Arbiter

Author of 'Steinitz in London,' British Chess Literature to 1914', 'Joseph Henry Blackburne: A Chess Biography', and 'Eminent Victorian Chess Players'
http://www.chessmail.com

Jonathan Bryant

Post by Jonathan Bryant » Fri Aug 07, 2015 6:35 pm

Double rook ending now in Howell - Hebden. Hopefully will become a proper rook ending sharpish.

Not that I can see how that’s going to happen. Has Hebden just blundered his passed pawn?

(Edit: apparently so and the rook’s are off. Yay for that but didn’t want it to happen this way)

JustinHorton

Post by JustinHorton » Fri Aug 07, 2015 6:38 pm

He has. What drama.
"Do you play chess?"
"Yes, but I prefer a game with a better chance of cheating."

lostontime.blogspot.com

Carl Hibbard

Post by Carl Hibbard » Fri Aug 07, 2015 6:39 pm

Hebden losing this R&P now.
Cheers
Carl Hibbard

NickFaulks

Post by NickFaulks » Fri Aug 07, 2015 6:39 pm

Disaster after he had played very well.
If you want a picture of the future, imagine a QR code stamped on a human face — forever.

Jonathan Bryant

Post by Jonathan Bryant » Fri Aug 07, 2015 6:41 pm

JustinHorton wrote:He has. What drama.
Chess24 has frozen for me. Presumably Howell has not lost on time a pawn up in a rook ending.

LawrenceCooper

Post by LawrenceCooper » Fri Aug 07, 2015 6:49 pm

NickFaulks wrote:Disaster after he had played very well.
Echoes of round 11 last year when they played albeit then Heb was also playing for 1st=

Mick Norris

Post by Mick Norris » Fri Aug 07, 2015 6:50 pm

Jonathan Bryant wrote:
Chess24 has frozen for me. Presumably Howell has not lost on time a pawn up in a rook ending.
According to the commentary, which has just stopped until Bournemouth 2016, game not stopped and Howell will win the ending
Any postings on here represent my personal views

Jonathan Bryant

Post by Jonathan Bryant » Fri Aug 07, 2015 6:53 pm

NickFaulks wrote:Disaster after he had played very well.
Yup but credit to Chris Kreuzer a couple of pages back for this:-
Christopher Kreuzer wrote:My observation is that Hebden sometimes seems to get nervous when at the business end of a tournament like this.

Also credit to Howell for inducing the blunder with sustained pressure. I’m quite sure that Hebden wouldn’t have blundered like that against me (assuming that I’d get that position in the first place which of course I wouldn’t).

Tim Harding

Post by Tim Harding » Fri Aug 07, 2015 6:55 pm

Mick Norris wrote:
Jonathan Bryant wrote:
According to the commentary, which has just stopped until Bournemouth 2016, game not stopped and Howell will win the ending
If you reload Chess24 it will show the correct position though, as usual it cannot cope with the time added on after move 40,
Howell is winning according to its engine. He is having a big think about move 42.
Tim Harding

Author of 'Steinitz in London,' British Chess Literature to 1914', 'Joseph Henry Blackburne: A Chess Biography', and 'Eminent Victorian Chess Players'

Tim Harding

Post by Tim Harding » Fri Aug 07, 2015 6:58 pm

Akshaya's board seems to have frozen at move 36. Does anyone know what's happening there? She could finish on 7?
Tim Harding

Tim Harding

Post by Tim Harding » Fri Aug 07, 2015 7:00 pm

Or maybe Howell's board has frozen again? Have they switched off and gone home?

If there's a play-off tomorrow will there be any coverage? I seem to recall an Adams-Short playoff a few years ago did have commentary?
Tim Harding

Jonathan Bryant

Post by Jonathan Bryant » Fri Aug 07, 2015 7:01 pm

Tim Harding wrote: If you reload Chess24 it will show the correct position though, as usual it cannot cope with the time added on after move 40,
Howell is winning according to its engine. He is having a big think about move 42.
That’s what it’s showing for me. I’m not convinced Howell has really been thinking for 20 minutes here actually.

Also, FWIW, I’m not sure I’d necessarily trust an engine assessment of a rook and pawn ending as much as other types of positions, but this one does look nasty for Black.

Tim Harding

Post by Tim Harding » Fri Aug 07, 2015 7:03 pm

Jonathan Bryant wrote:
Tim Harding wrote: If you reload Chess24 it will show the correct position though, as usual it cannot cope with the time added on after move 40,
That’s what it’s showing for me. I’m not convinced Howell has really been thinking for 20 minutes here actually.

Also, FWIW, I’m not sure I’d necessarily trust an engine assessment of a rook and pawn ending as much as other types of positions, but this one does look nasty for Black.
Looks like technical cock-up time again. When will they deign to let the world know what has happened?
Tim Harding

Mick Norris

Post by Mick Norris » Fri Aug 07, 2015 7:04 pm

Jonathan Bryant wrote:

I'd trust your assessment more than the engine :wink:
Any postings on here represent my personal views