A thought about a tournament organization utility

Discuss anything you like about chess related matters in this forum.
Michael Flatt

Re: A thought about a tournament organization utility

Post by Michael Flatt » Fri Aug 21, 2015 12:53 pm

IM Jack Rudd wrote:Last year's results
Jack, its no use telling me. It needs to be made easy for prospective entrants to find.

By the way, the link on the ECF calendar to the Jessie Gilbert events goes to the page of past events not the 2015 event. Again the colours are too garish.

I would suggest that more effort needs to put into website so that potential players can easily find the specific information they want. Don't force them to follow a series of links - they just wont bother.

Roger de Coverly

Post by Roger de Coverly » Fri Aug 21, 2015 6:09 pm

Michael Flatt wrote: Where are last years results and what prizes were paid?
The English Seniors last year was not run by CCF.

These are the results and prize winners

http://www.e2e4.org.uk/sunningdale/Apr2014/seniors.htm
http://www.e2e4.org.uk/sunningdale/Apr2 ... /index.htm

John Reyes

Post by John Reyes » Mon Aug 24, 2015 5:33 pm

i was saying this in our meeting, the whole point to help chess, is to get players playing for Norm events!!

How many players in the Uk has a chance of getting an Norm, other then the 4ncl and British??
Any postings on here represent my personal views only and also Dyslexia as well

Roger de Coverly

Post by Roger de Coverly » Mon Aug 24, 2015 5:45 pm

John Reyes wrote: How many players in the Uk has a chance of getting an Norm, other then the 4ncl and British??
There are at least four other sizeable tournaments registered with the ECF which would allow players to gain Norms if they play well enough. These are the Isle of Man Poker Stars coming up fairly soon, the FIDE Open at the London Classic, the Hastings Masters and the Gibraltar Masters.

Marinel Miu

Post by Marinel Miu » Tue Aug 25, 2015 7:17 am

IM Jack Rudd wrote:This is not, as it happens, a proposal for the latest piece of tournament management software. It is a proposal for something else: something to help make the tournaments viable in the first place.

One of the things I've noticed while trying to find players for the Jessie Gilbert International is that there seems to be no systematic way of doing so. You can advertise on forums and Facebook and other such stuff, but it's a bit hit-and-miss. What I'm thinking is this: how about a site where people interested in playing in norm tournaments can sign up, and people interested in organizing tournaments can also sign up... and there be some way of "match-making" the two?

I don't know how exactly it would work, but I'd welcome the input of those who have some idea how to make it happen.
This is a great idea Mr Rudd and I can see it happening in the future. It will work both ways. For the palyers and organisers. If this site/ platform would exist chess tournaments and norms will be created out of the blue.
Imagine a database where players can submit their availability for a potential tournament, their budget (entry fee) and other requirements like slow or rapidplay, graded or ungraded, expected prizes and so on. As an organiser you can see who is available and when and put up a tournament based on demand.

Paul Dargan

Post by Paul Dargan » Tue Aug 25, 2015 8:53 am

It should be relatively straightforward ... a colleague built a platform for those wanting and offering crane's and JCB type equipment which operated as a kind of marketplace with bids and offers ... not at all complex in this day and age

Paul

IM Jack Rudd

Post by IM Jack Rudd » Tue Aug 25, 2015 10:50 am

Paul Dargan wrote:It should be relatively straightforward ... a colleague built a platform for those wanting and offering crane's and JCB type equipment which operated as a kind of marketplace with bids and offers ... not at all complex in this day and age
This sounds promising. Could you contact your colleague and ask how this sort of thing could be done?