Claims by C.J. de Mooi

Discuss anything you like about chess related matters in this forum.
Julie Denning

Re: Claims by C.J. de Mooi

Post by Julie Denning » Fri Sep 23, 2016 12:01 pm

NickFaulks wrote:
John Upham wrote:
[i]The Guardian[/i] wrote: and keep a charged mobile phone with him at all times.
How is he going to play chess?
Nick,

According to the grading database, he hasn't been graded since 2005, so I doubt this will be an issue for him.

Leonard Barden

Post by Leonard Barden » Fri Sep 23, 2016 12:29 pm

From the Streatham and Brixton blog, November 2015:

Frits Fritschy said...
"Much like CJ's statements while President of the ECF, this is not believeable." Well, that might be right, but see this Dutch newspaper report from yesterday (the story also made it to Dutch tv news): http://www.ad.nl/ad/nl/1041/Amsterdam/a ... dood.dhtml. A 36-year old junkie, by the name of Norbert Dichtl, was found dead in an Amsterdam canal in 1988; he had been hit and was still alive before entering the water. The murder has never been solved.
The quoted newspaper is not known for checking-to-death a nice story, but I thought I should mention it, not knowing whether this detail is known at your side of the sea.
Tue Nov 10, 10:09:00 pm 2015
ejh said...
Well, thanks very much: I can't view your link but the story, with an OK English translation, is here. I'll remain totally sceptical unless and until there are further developments, but if CJ ends up in the dock I'll happily apologise to everybody who's had more faith in the story than I have. It'd be worth it.
Wed Nov 11, 08:13:00 am 2015

Will Justin now do a Gary Lineker?

Roger de Coverly

Post by Roger de Coverly » Fri Sep 23, 2016 12:30 pm

Julie Denning wrote: According to the grading database, he hasn't been graded since 2005, so I doubt this will be an issue for him.
He played some rapid play games whilst President.

Julie Denning

Post by Julie Denning » Fri Sep 23, 2016 12:44 pm

Roger de Coverly wrote:
Julie Denning wrote: According to the grading database, he hasn't been graded since 2005, so I doubt this will be an issue for him.
He played some rapid play games whilst President.
I stand corrected, although even rapidplay he hasn't had a recorded game since 2011 / 12

JustinHorton

Post by JustinHorton » Fri Sep 23, 2016 12:52 pm

Leonard Barden wrote:From the Streatham and Brixton blog, November 2015:

Frits Fritschy said...
"Much like CJ's statements while President of the ECF, this is not believeable." Well, that might be right, but see this Dutch newspaper report from yesterday (the story also made it to Dutch tv news): http://www.ad.nl/ad/nl/1041/Amsterdam/a ... dood.dhtml. A 36-year old junkie, by the name of Norbert Dichtl, was found dead in an Amsterdam canal in 1988; he had been hit and was still alive before entering the water. The murder has never been solved.
The quoted newspaper is not known for checking-to-death a nice story, but I thought I should mention it, not knowing whether this detail is known at your side of the sea.
Tue Nov 10, 10:09:00 pm 2015
ejh said...
Well, thanks very much: I can't view your link but the story, with an OK English translation, is here. I'll remain totally sceptical unless and until there are further developments, but if CJ ends up in the dock I'll happily apologise to everybody who's had more faith in the story than I have. It'd be worth it.
Wed Nov 11, 08:13:00 am 2015

Will Justin now do a Gary Lineker?
Perhaps I shall have to write my next blog piece in my underwear.
"Do you play chess?"
"Yes, but I prefer a game with a better chance of cheating."

lostontime.blogspot.com

MJMcCready

Post by MJMcCready » Fri Sep 23, 2016 1:37 pm

JustinHorton wrote:
MJMcCready wrote:
NickFaulks wrote: Having punched an assailant senseless, is it reasonable to continue the process of self defence by tipping them into a canal, which he claims he did? Anyway, that it for the courts to decide.
Well he says the guy was 'high', which if he was aware of that before he tipped him in the canal, that's murder surely as he must know anyone whose just been smacked in the face a few times and thrown into cold water to swim whilst they are 'high' hasn't got a chance of making it.
Also, you know, if you see somebody drown, I suspect you are supposed to report this to the police
Are you sure that's Dutch law?

MJMcCready

Post by MJMcCready » Fri Sep 23, 2016 1:41 pm

Christopher Kreuzer wrote:
NickFaulks wrote:
Joshua Gibbs wrote: Oh wait he deserves anonymity. But doesn't CJ too? I hate the legal system.
For pity's sake give it a rest. Please wishing to stay away from the glare of publicity don't write autobiographies in which they claim to have committed murders.
It seems a pretty high price to pay for a publicity stunt.

From the article in The Guardian:

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/201 ... etherlands
[i]The Guardian[/i] wrote: De Mooi was bailed with a security of £5,000 until a full extradition hearing could be held on 28 November. He was also banned from international travel, has to sleep every night at his home address and keep a charged mobile phone with him at all times. A case management hearing has been scheduled for 24 October.
Though having said that, two months before this is resolved isn't too bad.
I don't know, what about the damage to his reputation?

MJMcCready

Post by MJMcCready » Fri Sep 23, 2016 1:42 pm

Kevin Thurlow wrote:"Interestingly I believe a well known English chess fugitive was last heard of in the Netherlands."

My sources suggest he moved to Thailand after that.

On topic, CJ did not claim he murdered anyone - he said he defended himself, er... quite successfully apparently. The Dutch police may be trying to tie up loose ends, unless they have one or more prosecution witnesses.
Could you PM me on your sources please. I've never heard that claim made before.

Kevin Thurlow

Post by Kevin Thurlow » Fri Sep 23, 2016 1:58 pm

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... im-be.html

I note they have stolen the joke which I stole from Max Miller.

My sources wish to remain anonymous on the other matter, but it is a logical proceeding to travel to such areas.

JustinHorton

Post by JustinHorton » Fri Sep 23, 2016 2:10 pm

MJMcCready wrote:
JustinHorton wrote:
Also, you know, if you see somebody drown, I suspect you are supposed to report this to the police
No, hence my use of the term "I suspect".
"Do you play chess?"
"Yes, but I prefer a game with a better chance of cheating."

lostontime.blogspot.com

John Moore

Post by John Moore » Fri Sep 23, 2016 2:36 pm

Gary Kenworthy wrote:The full name is actually Brian Ratcliffe Eley, some said it was Russell. (shades of Booby Fischer's change of name).
I saw Brian R Eley arguing till the cows come home that he had no middle initial and no middle name. He went around getting it expunged (one of his favourite phrases) from all records and tournament boards, pairing cards etc. He made quite a point on that.
Also making sure he was never filmed, not appearing on Yorkshire TV in 1972. Ducked, literally, every camera shot. The picture of him taking the 1972 Championship Trophy away in CHESS is well remembered. (supposedly the last known picture (it is not!).
BTW: At school his nick- name was My Favourite Martian - after the US TV children's show. Some chess organisers really loved that!
Anymore details needed to identify him?
rgds GK
Interesting on the Brian Eley photo situation. I think that it was originally intended that there should be photos in the main body of the book on the European Team Championship, Bath 1973, but there is a paste over at the foot of the Contents page. Nothing sinister about that - Batsford probably just changed their minds, possibly on the grounds of cost. But it looks like some of the pictures - of the England team, at least, - migrated to The Chess Players' Bedside Book, published by Batsford in 1975. I have only just sold a copy but I do recall that there was a picture of Brian Eley which is well worth reproducing if somebody has a copy of the book and can scan it.

NickFaulks

Post by NickFaulks » Fri Sep 23, 2016 3:54 pm

MJMcCready wrote: I don't know, what about the damage to his reputation?
Surely this can only augment it. Many of us assumed that his autobiography gilded some parts of his cv, but it now appears that it may not have done.
If you want a picture of the future, imagine a QR code stamped on a human face — forever.

NickFaulks

Post by NickFaulks » Fri Sep 23, 2016 4:00 pm

MJMcCready wrote:
JustinHorton wrote: Also, you know, if you see somebody drown, I suspect you are supposed to report this to the police
I can't claim to be sure, but it's certainly the way I would bet. I lived there shortly before this murder took place, and would have assumed that.
If you want a picture of the future, imagine a QR code stamped on a human face — forever.

John Upham

Post by John Upham » Fri Sep 23, 2016 4:12 pm

John Moore wrote:
Interesting on the Brian Eley photo situation. I think that it was originally intended that there should be photos in the main body of the book on the European Team Championship, Bath 1973, but there is a paste over at the foot of the Contents page. Nothing sinister about that - Batsford probably just changed their minds, possibly on the grounds of cost. But it looks like some of the pictures - of the England team, at least, - migrated to The Chess Players' Bedside Book, published by Batsford in 1975. I have only just sold a copy but I do recall that there was a picture of Brian Eley which is well worth reproducing if somebody has a copy of the book and can scan it.
Did you mean
vintage-photo-of-portrait-of-brian-ratcliffe-eley-colin-davey-876c78d53a5db63b247b96011d64874c.jpg
or
eley.jpg
or
01ASRV0C.jpg
perhaps?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
British Chess News : britishchessnews.com
Twitter: @BritishChess
Facebook: facebook.com/groups/britishchess :D

Christopher Kreuzer

Post by Christopher Kreuzer » Fri Sep 23, 2016 4:14 pm

NickFaulks wrote:
MJMcCready wrote:
JustinHorton wrote: Also, you know, if you see somebody drown, I suspect you are supposed to report this to the police
I can't claim to be sure, but it's certainly the way I would bet. I lived there shortly before this murder took place, and would have assumed that.
Um, you shouldn't call it a murder. Nothing has been definitively established yet.