Court case

Discuss anything you like about chess related matters in this forum.
Neil Graham

Court case

Post by Neil Graham » Sun Sep 20, 2015 10:04 pm

The court case against the ex-BCF Director and Coulsdon Christian Fellowship pastor is now ongoing - I add no link as it is being well covered by all the national dailies.

Kevin Thurlow

Re: Court case

Post by Kevin Thurlow » Wed Sep 23, 2015 1:25 pm

And now it has stopped...

http://www.croydonadvertiser.co.uk/Tria ... story.html

Presumably CPS sealed a move.

They have had well over a year to prepare already. It seems the CPS and police are using the usual delaying tactics which were going to be outlawed (but obviously haven't been).

John Upham

Post by John Upham » Wed Sep 23, 2015 1:42 pm

Thankfully reports of this on-going case no longer make reference to chess. The early ones did.
British Chess News : britishchessnews.com
Twitter: @BritishChess
Facebook: facebook.com/groups/britishchess :D

JustinHorton

Post by JustinHorton » Wed Sep 23, 2015 2:06 pm

Phew!
"Do you play chess?"
"Yes, but I prefer a game with a better chance of cheating."

lostontime.blogspot.com

David Robertson

Post by David Robertson » Wed Sep 23, 2015 2:07 pm

Neil Graham wrote:The court case against the ex-BCF Director and Coulsdon Christian Fellowship pastor is now ongoing - I add no link as it is being well covered by all the national dailies.
I've scoured the Financial Times but with no success. I did find one story, headlined "Arm needs to secure long-term strength". But that made no mention of a spanking vicar. Or chess

Peter D Williams

Post by Peter D Williams » Thu Sep 24, 2015 2:11 pm

Kevin Thurlow wrote:And now it has stopped...

They have had well over a year to prepare already. It seems the CPS and police are using the usual delaying tactics which were going to be outlawed (but obviously haven't been).
Well said Kevin
I feel sorry for Marilyn his wife.I used to chat to her when Peter was playing chess at coulsdon and she is a really nice lady kind and thoughtful very supportive to juniors who wish to play chess.I have a lovely picture of Marliyn giving Peter his prize for winning a chess tournament at coulsdon. Very few people i would speak up for but Marilyn i would.I am not religious in case any one was wondering.
when you are successful many losers bark at you.

Neil Graham

Post by Neil Graham » Thu Sep 24, 2015 2:35 pm

Peter D Williams wrote:
Kevin Thurlow wrote:And now it has stopped...

Well said Kevin
I feel sorry for Marilyn his wife.I used to chat to her when Peter was playing chess at coulsdon and she is a really nice lady kind and thoughtful very supportive to juniors who wish to play chess.I have a lovely picture of Marliyn giving Peter his prize for winning a chess tournament at coulsdon. Very few people i would speak up for but Marilyn i would.I am not religious in case any one was wondering.
Without being at the case it is quite impossible to draw any conclusions (other than the usual comments about the CPS); as I understand it from the local paper, the case has now been listed for a pre-trial review in December and a new trial will start in February 2016.

Neil Graham

Post by Neil Graham » Fri Mar 18, 2016 6:34 pm

The four week trial has now finished and the summing up by prosecution & defence is now taking place. The jury will be out next week when a verdict can be expected. There is extensive coverage in the Croydon Guardian & Advertiser should people wish to read what has occurred in the hearings.

David Sedgwick

Post by David Sedgwick » Sat Mar 19, 2016 8:56 am

Neil Graham wrote:The four week trial has now finished and the summing up by prosecution & defence is now taking place. The jury will be out next week when a verdict can be expected. There is extensive coverage in the Croydon Guardian & Advertiser should people wish to read what has occurred in the hearings.
I think you mean that the giving of evidence has finished. The trial itself is ongoing.

The closing speeches by counsel concluded yesterday (Friday) and the judge will begin summing up on Monday morning. He expects to take two days, as a lot of evidence has been heard.

That leaves two days for the jury to consider their verdicts before the Easter holiday. They have a total of fifteen charges to consider. It won't surprise me at all if they need to continue their deliberations after Easter.

I wouldn't consider the press coverage to have been extensive. Important evidence has been heard on days when no reporters have been present.

I think we can expect a blaze of publicity at the end of the trial, whatever the verdicts.

John Upham

Post by John Upham » Sat Mar 19, 2016 9:09 am

I believe that Mike Gunn has accepted the task of being spokesperson on behalf of the SCCU should any chess related queries arise.

Not sure if the ECFs Press Officer has been briefed. Maybe MG will handle the situation for the ECF also?
British Chess News : britishchessnews.com
Twitter: @BritishChess
Facebook: facebook.com/groups/britishchess :D

Mike Gunn

Post by Mike Gunn » Sat Mar 19, 2016 10:11 am

No comment.

David Sedgwick

Post by David Sedgwick » Sat Mar 19, 2016 10:23 am

John Upham wrote:I believe that Mike Gunn has accepted the task of being spokesperson on behalf of the SCCU should any chess related queries arise.

Not sure if the ECFs Press Officer has been briefed. Maybe MG will handle the situation for the ECF also?
Did you mean Surrey County Chess Association (SCCA) rather than the Southern Counties Chess Union?

Michael Mkpadi

Post by Michael Mkpadi » Sat Mar 19, 2016 11:08 am

I thought this was about the Agon court case lol Can an admin kindly change the title of this thread to be more specific for idiots like me :)
Chess is a conversation. At Chess Club Live everyone can join that conversation whatever your elo rating. :D
http://social.chessclublive.com

NickFaulks

Post by NickFaulks » Sat Mar 19, 2016 11:33 am

Michael Mkpadi wrote:I thought this was about the Agon court case lol Can an admin kindly change the title of this thread to be more specific for idiots like me :)
I think the opening post is clear enough. So far as I can tell, no connection between the Coulsdon Christian Fellowship and Agon has been alleged.
If you want a picture of the future, imagine a QR code stamped on a human face — forever.

Michael Mkpadi

Post by Michael Mkpadi » Sat Mar 19, 2016 12:06 pm

NickFaulks wrote: I think the opening post is clear enough. So far as I can tell, no connection between the Coulsdon Christian Fellowship and Agon has been alleged.
Yeh it is but shouldn't the topic title be also? I dunno you are the masters of this forum I'm just a newbie, what do I know.
Chess is a conversation. At Chess Club Live everyone can join that conversation whatever your elo rating. :D
http://social.chessclublive.com