The share of the Event Host

Discuss anything you like about chess related matters in this forum.
soheil_hooshdaran

The share of the Event Host

Post by soheil_hooshdaran » Thu Oct 08, 2015 10:06 pm

Hi.
Why is it that the Host of a national event receives 0% of the monetary gains?

Thanks for your participation

Roger de Coverly

Re: The share of the Event Host

Post by Roger de Coverly » Thu Oct 08, 2015 11:34 pm

soheil_hooshdaran wrote: Why is it that the Host of a national event receives 0% of the monetary gains?
I think you will have to give some context. It's going to depend on what financial deal has been reached, particularly as to who shares any monetary losses.

There was a curious tournament in England last year, where the ECF contributed directly or indirectly £ 1,000 to the prize fund. With a shortfall of entrants, the organiser reduced the distributed prizes to £ 500 and £ 300. As to what happened to the balance, "organisational expenses".

soheil_hooshdaran

Post by soheil_hooshdaran » Fri Oct 09, 2015 11:50 am

The chess association of my province intended to host women's league, but on the news that the entry fees was to be taken by the federation, they refused to do so.

NickFaulks

Post by NickFaulks » Fri Oct 09, 2015 11:55 am

soheil_hooshdaran wrote:The chess association of my province intended to host women's league, but on the news that the entry fees was to be taken by the federation, they refused to do so.
That does seem contrary, but it is difficult for this forum to comment on problems with overseas federations. We have enough trouble with our own.

On that general topic, I believe there are events worth following in Ireland this weekend.
Last edited by NickFaulks on Fri Oct 09, 2015 1:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
If you want a picture of the future, imagine a QR code stamped on a human face — forever.

Roger de Coverly

Post by Roger de Coverly » Fri Oct 09, 2015 12:24 pm

NickFaulks wrote: On that general topic, I believe there are events worth following in Ireland this weekend.
Although the current Irish directors and officers appear to consider it toxic, the chess discussion section of the more general "Irish issues" website, boards.ie at
http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=417
seems a reasonable place to view what their internal conflicts seem to be about and who is fighting.

It's better not to say too much, as Carl is adverse to having Irish, Scottish and Welsh fights and disputes spilling over to ecforum.

soheil_hooshdaran

Post by soheil_hooshdaran » Fri Oct 09, 2015 1:29 pm

And you know I am hundreds of miles away from Ireland, England, or Wales.

Stewart Reuben

Post by Stewart Reuben » Fri Oct 09, 2015 3:21 pm

Soheil >The chess association of my province intended to host women's league, but on the news that the entry fees was to be taken by the federation, they refused to do so.<

The only reason for the scenario you describe that I can think of is:
That the federation was taking on the burden of the prize money and administrative expenses and this was expected to exceed the income.

Your original question >Why is it that the Host of a national event receives 0% of the monetary gains?<
Possibly the organiser was taking all the risk in exchange for the entry fee surplus - if any.