Dramatic changes in congress performances

Discuss anything you like about chess related matters in this forum.
Michael Renshaw
Posts: 3
Joined: Mon Oct 26, 2015 6:33 pm

Dramatic changes in congress performances

Postby Michael Renshaw » Mon Oct 26, 2015 8:18 pm

Just back from Scarborough and another excellent congress. Well done to Lara & the team. On the playing side a personal low for me scoring a lowly 1 out of 5. Just hope that I can show the same bouncebackability as this player (source ECF grading list).

31/7/15 British Championship (Yates) 5/5 Winner (£150)
21/8/15 Manchester Summer 0.5/4
5/9/15 CCF Late Summer 0/5
11/9/15 Leek Congress 0/4
25/9/15 Hull Congress 0.5/4
17/10/15 Witney Congress 1/5
23/10/15 Scarborough 4.5/5 Joint winner of section (£300)

Statistically most players end tournaments with a score between 1.5 and 3.5.

Andrew Bak
Posts: 828
Joined: Sun Jan 02, 2011 11:48 am
Location: Bradford
Contact:

Re: Dramatic changes in congress performances

Postby Andrew Bak » Mon Oct 26, 2015 8:30 pm

I have a feeling a lot of the Congress regulars will know exactly who you are referring to ;)

Angus French
Posts: 1334
Joined: Thu May 15, 2008 1:37 am
Contact:

Re: Dramatic changes in congress performances

Postby Angus French » Mon Oct 26, 2015 8:46 pm

I take it the reference is to Stephen Crockett whose results look very inconsistent. Could there be a reason for that?

John Upham
Posts: 4021
Joined: Wed Apr 04, 2007 10:29 am
Location: Cove, Hampshire, England.
Contact:

Re: Dramatic changes in congress performances

Postby John Upham » Mon Oct 26, 2015 9:08 pm

Angus French wrote:I take it the reference is to Stephen Crockett whose results look very inconsistent. Could there be a reason for that?


Do you have any suggestions for the reason(s)?

Angus French
Posts: 1334
Joined: Thu May 15, 2008 1:37 am
Contact:

Re: Dramatic changes in congress performances

Postby Angus French » Mon Oct 26, 2015 9:16 pm

John Upham wrote:
Angus French wrote:I take it the reference is to Stephen Crockett whose results look very inconsistent. Could there be a reason for that?


Do you have any suggestions for the reason(s)?

I have absolutely no idea. A medical condition maybe? I was hoping that someone "in the know", like you perhaps, might be able to throw some light.

David Blower
Posts: 400
Joined: Wed Feb 08, 2012 11:01 pm
Contact:

Re: Dramatic changes in congress performances

Postby David Blower » Mon Oct 26, 2015 9:18 pm

Well that players prize winnings is £450. How much would it have cost to enter all the congresses?

Michael Renshaw
Posts: 3
Joined: Mon Oct 26, 2015 6:33 pm

Re: Dramatic changes in congress performances

Postby Michael Renshaw » Mon Oct 26, 2015 9:46 pm

You can go back further and the prize money adds up (Rhyl, Nottingham, Cotswolds etc). I take your point though that the player is only making enough to cover the cost of all congresses winning and losing, accommodation and travel etc. However this is more than the rest of us can hope for. There is a probability attached to finishing outside the main rump of 1.5 to 3.5 and if that probability is timed by itself with every event then the odds are truly astronomical.

User avatar
Michael Farthing
Posts: 1309
Joined: Fri Apr 04, 2014 1:28 pm
Location: Morecambe, Disunited Kingdom

Re: Dramatic changes in congress performances

Postby Michael Farthing » Mon Oct 26, 2015 9:59 pm

Surely this is the essence of the game? A queen sacrifice that captures the king: it's just taken a step further - a queen sacrifice that captures the king in the next game - or congress.

Nick Grey
Posts: 583
Joined: Thu Dec 01, 2011 12:16 am

Re: Dramatic changes in congress performances

Postby Nick Grey » Tue Oct 27, 2015 12:41 am

Too much chess.

MartinCarpenter
Posts: 2242
Joined: Tue May 24, 2011 10:58 am

Re: Dramatic changes in congress performances

Postby MartinCarpenter » Tue Oct 27, 2015 10:03 am

Quite plausible as a cause, yes. Leads to reduced internal motivation for each game then naturally losing interest unless there's a chance of winning something.

If it were purposeful grade sabotage all those byes involved would be a bit odd.

Mick Norris
Posts: 6241
Joined: Tue Apr 17, 2007 10:12 am
Location: Harwood, Greater Manchester
Contact:

Re: Dramatic changes in congress performances

Postby Mick Norris » Tue Oct 27, 2015 10:09 am

He has won the Midlands U150 Grand Prix a lot
2014-15

2013-14

2012-13

2011-12
Any postings on here represent my personal views and should not be taken as representative of the Manchester Chess Federation www.manchesterchess.co.uk

Barry Sandercock
Posts: 1197
Joined: Tue Sep 11, 2012 10:52 am

Re: Dramatic changes in congress performances

Postby Barry Sandercock » Tue Oct 27, 2015 8:28 pm

Angus French wrote:
Could there be a reason for that ?

These things happen. Last year at Northwick Park Congress, I scored 0/4. At my next congress Blackpool, I scored 4.5/5. Reason ? possibly a change of openings.

Jonathan Bryant
Posts: 2947
Joined: Sun May 11, 2008 3:54 pm

Re: Dramatic changes in congress performances

Postby Jonathan Bryant » Tue Oct 27, 2015 8:39 pm

Barry Sandercock wrote:Angus French wrote:
Could there be a reason for that ?

These things happen. Last year at Northwick Park Congress, I scored 0/4. At my next congress Blackpool, I scored 4.5/5. Reason ? possibly a change of openings.


Aside from very much doubting your change of openings hypothesis, you’re missing the point. A bad performance one tournament and a good tournament the next is normal. Consistently scoring only very bad or very good performances over a long period isn’t.

Barry Sandercock
Posts: 1197
Joined: Tue Sep 11, 2012 10:52 am

Re: Dramatic changes in congress performances

Postby Barry Sandercock » Tue Oct 27, 2015 8:48 pm

Yes. I see what you mean.

Michael Renshaw
Posts: 3
Joined: Mon Oct 26, 2015 6:33 pm

Re: Dramatic changes in congress performances

Postby Michael Renshaw » Wed Oct 28, 2015 5:53 pm

My final word on this thread. The £450 quoted previously is just a snapshot. He also bagged a further £150 from the British (U125 Rapidplay) plus £100 from the Stockport Rapidplay. Outright winner at Rhyl would have given him in the region of £200 and presumably more cheques would have winged over to him via Nottingham 4.5/5 and the Cotswolds 5.5/6. There are also a few 4/5`s knocking around that may have bagged him some more. We could be talking a grand here and its still October.
A prolific prizewinner deserves applause but this guy wins off the same mark year on year and according to Mick Norris’s post he’s been doing this for a while. He can only do this by neutralising 4.5/5`s with 0.5/5’s. Whatever the reason nobody should gain an advantage by playing poorly. I can’t even decide if any rules are being broken but something needs to be done or the integrity of congress chess will be damaged.


Return to “General Chat”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests