Atticus Chess Club Row

Discuss anything you like about chess related matters in this forum.
Michael Flatt

Re: Atticus Chess Club Row

Post by Michael Flatt » Fri Nov 27, 2015 1:09 pm

Roger de Coverly wrote: From a league perspective I doubt the issue has really gone away. What happens when the original poster joins another club and turns up at Atticus or Aigburth for an away match?
In practice, it might be an uncomfortable occasion for those individuals who might be unwilling to forgive and forget. Such an encounter would be subject to the league rules or other competition controller.

Michael Flatt

Post by Michael Flatt » Fri Nov 27, 2015 1:23 pm

Joshua Gibbs wrote:Michael - I am the "originator"

My original point was that because I thought (with a great degree of justification) that Atticus was Lottery funded, they shouldn't be able to behave like they did with me. I thought some "higher power" should tell them off.

I now say that in my opinion the club should never have had lottery funding for their website as they are not a Community Organsiation, and that I find the idea they are frankly absurd.

My new point is that I know many at Atticus want to get the club charitable status as it is " profitable". If they have this status there is no way they can behave like they behaved with me.

I hope to expose a minority, a vast minority, of bullying children in adult bodiess in the Atticus Committe by publicizing their appalling behaviour. I am not defaming them, I am exposing them.
I don't see that funding from the Lottery has any bearing on the matter. Provided the funds are used for the intended purpose, i.e. developing a website, there can be no grounds for complaint.

Joshua Gibbs

Post by Joshua Gibbs » Fri Nov 27, 2015 1:35 pm

Michael and Roger

This is basically what happened in my opinion and I doubt anyone would argue against it

1: The individual, who I shall not name, deliberately wound me up by 'phoning me at two in the morning when I had work the next dat, insulting me to my face, telling me I was useless at chess (I am but why does he need to tell me that?), telling clubland doormen he was my friend when they asked him why he was vandalising property in a night club, winding me up for having "BNP friends". Yes, one of my friends is a racist, but I openly criticize his views and my friends are almost exclusively from ethnic backgrounds. He also denigrated other members of Aigburth Chess Club behind their backs, knowing that such behaviur would upset me. He did all of the following to wind me up. He may have seen it as laddish, banter, but wind me up it sure did.

2. I shouted at him and was agressive after others had left the chess club and later sent him a variety of emails criticizing him. I did this because he provoked me. I know I shouldn't have behaved like this.

Aigburth said I could not come, though the guy in charge of the club sent me an email reading

"Nothing has split or threatened to split the club so much as the events of last year between you and (name deleted)."

I think this shows people at the club know I was prevoked even if I did react in a way I shouldn't. It wasn't a case of "its all your fault"

This is in no way "an ongling conflict with Aigburth Chess Club" as The Atticus Committee said...

Roger - A fellow at Aigburth who I shalln't name said I couldnt come to away games at Aigburth. I accepted this.

I turned up for two away matches at Atticus and I just turned up played chess like an idiot and went to eat pizza. There was no other incident and I spoke to my friends at Atticus

Michael - with regards to your latest post it should be a COMMUNITY website

Joshua Gibbs

Post by Joshua Gibbs » Fri Nov 27, 2015 1:49 pm

Andrew Zigmond wrote:I wonder why he chose to post on the one that is clearly less used (unless of course it did find its way on to here and Carl and Jack pounced).
I registered an account on here with the username Hellspawn (I love the ambiguity so much) and waited for it to be activated.... I'm not psychic so I didn't know the unwritten rule you had to use your own name....

Alan Walton

Post by Alan Walton » Fri Nov 27, 2015 1:51 pm

I think it might be a good time to end this thread; some of the comments are becoming very public/personal and I don't think this forum is the best place for it

Michael Flatt

Post by Michael Flatt » Fri Nov 27, 2015 1:54 pm

Joshua,

I would suggest that you edit your last post to remove the specific details of the incident.

The Lottery board that allocated the funding have accepted that the chess club is a legitimate applicant and made an award. In my view there is no conceivable benefit in disputing the award.

I agree with Alan Walton's suggestion.

Joshua Gibbs

Post by Joshua Gibbs » Fri Nov 27, 2015 2:01 pm

Alan Walton wrote:I think it might be a good time to end this thread; some of the comments are becoming very public/personal and I don't think this forum is the best place for it
this is exactly the place for it. I haven't named the person who wound me up, so how is it very personal?

People, I.E. the Chess-playing public, need to know how the Atticus Committee banned me for something I didn't do and behaved like a group of kids.

For the record one member of the Atticus Committee emailed me saying he and one other member of the committee disagreed with the committee's actions and apologised to me in person.

Please note that Atticus nor noone from Atticus has replied to the thread. They don't because they know I am right, and their continued silence just proves I am right. They thought they could get away with their childish bullying behaviour and they haven't because I exposed them.
Last edited by Joshua Gibbs on Fri Nov 27, 2015 2:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Alan Walton

Post by Alan Walton » Fri Nov 27, 2015 2:05 pm

I suspect the majority of the chess-playing public actually don't really care about all this as it doesn't directly affect them, but that's my personal view

Joshua Gibbs

Post by Joshua Gibbs » Fri Nov 27, 2015 2:07 pm

Alan Walton wrote:I suspect the majority of the chess-playing public actually don't really care about all this as it doesn't directly affect them, but that's my personal view
I know in Merseyside a great many people dislike Atticus because of the actions of the committee

Carl Hibbard

Post by Carl Hibbard » Fri Nov 27, 2015 2:11 pm

Joshua Gibbs wrote:
Alan Walton wrote:I suspect the majority of the chess-playing public actually don't really care about all this as it doesn't directly affect them, but that's my personal view
I know in Merseyside a great many people dislike Atticus because of the actins of the committee
This thread has perhaps gone far enough Joshua you have clearly made your point.
Cheers
Carl Hibbard

Joshua Gibbs

Post by Joshua Gibbs » Sun Jan 31, 2016 2:00 am

Tellingly, this thread has been up for three months and nobody from Atticus has taken the time to try to retort my comments about their club. I think their silence shows that they, the Atticus Committee, and one member I shall not name, thought they could get rid of me because they didn't like me and that I would just back down, when I publicized their actions on this great forum they simply didn't reply because I was in the right. I write these comments in my own name, not hiding behind a pseudonym.

I know Atticus is seeking charity status and I for one would be disgusted if they got it in their current despotic form.

Carl Hibbard

Post by Carl Hibbard » Sun Jan 31, 2016 8:44 am

Carl Hibbard wrote:
Joshua Gibbs wrote:
I know in Merseyside a great many people dislike Atticus because of the actins of the committee
This thread has perhaps gone far enough Joshua you have clearly made your point.
Perhaps best if another one comes to a close then.
Cheers
Carl Hibbard