British Knockout Championship

Discuss anything you like about chess related matters in this forum.
Mick Norris

Re: British Knockout Championship

Post by Mick Norris » Thu Dec 10, 2015 2:32 pm

John McKenna wrote:Very good of GM Nick Pert to comment, above, on his participation in the match
Yes, very honest and interesting comments and very gracious in defeat (a lesson for many chess players, albeit some of us have much practice :oops: )

Would be good to hear from some of the other participants in due course
Any postings on here represent my personal views

MartinCarpenter

Post by MartinCarpenter » Thu Dec 10, 2015 3:10 pm

Definitely very interesting.

I don't think all that many chess players get exposed to the same sorts of cumulative stress. Even when you do play an event longer than a weekender, there's rarely any chance of actually winning it. Of course even the strain of one long/tense game is hard for some!

The schedule for the first couple of days of the British K/O event must have used massive amounts of nervous energy. 5 high pressure games in a day?

Kevin Thurlow

Post by Kevin Thurlow » Fri Dec 11, 2015 12:09 pm

" In chess this is a major issue as I am generally unable to finish big tournaments strongly, and this is very important in swiss events, when the results of the later rounds are far more important. I don't know if anyone else suffers from this?"

Karpov? He was usually so far ahead it didn't matter of course, but he did lose a lot of weight in long matches.

Stewart Reuben

Post by Stewart Reuben » Mon Dec 14, 2015 5:59 am

Nick Pert, at 18, did indeed draw a 6 game match against Murray Chandler. It was sponsored by Terry Chapman and was held in my living room.
We have been trying to put together a match for David Howell against a foreign 2700 player for about a year, but it has proven impossible to arrange so far.
There were a few challenge matches between US and British Champions.
For two years I held weekend events where each player met his opponent 4 times, 2 games Saturday and 2 Sunday. These were held after the Lloyds Bank Masters and English juniors were matched up against foreign IMs. We didn't get many paying entries and finished that project.
Probably the least known match is Anand v Jonathan Levitt before Vishy had won the World Junior. Vishy won 2.5-1.5.
Apart from the British Championship playoffs, there have been a few matches held in Britain over the years. I even played one in New York in 1964 and drew 2-2 against Leon Zukoff.

Written on a cruise ship on the way to Peru.