British Knockout Championship

Discuss anything you like about chess related matters in this forum.
Chris Rice

Re: British Knockout Championship

Post by Chris Rice » Tue Dec 01, 2015 9:55 pm

Armageddon it is. Let's get ready to rrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrumble

Richard Bates

Post by Richard Bates » Tue Dec 01, 2015 9:56 pm

6 mins vs 5 mins with 3secs per move from move 61!? Is this a common time control for these things? How the hell do you know when you can stop blitzing and start building some time up again (since it's a bit difficult to count moves)?

Roger de Coverly

Post by Roger de Coverly » Tue Dec 01, 2015 10:01 pm

Richard Bates wrote:6 mins vs 5 mins with 3secs per move from move 61!? Is this a common time control for these things?
Adams had one in the World Cup, though I think that might have been 5 v 4. In any event, he won both on time and position at around move 30.

I would suspect having increment from move 1 makes it too easy for the draw seeker, whilst not having an increment at all may give the arbiter potential Appendix G claims to rule on.

Richard Bates

Post by Richard Bates » Tue Dec 01, 2015 10:01 pm

Pretty surprised Jonathan didn't choose black.

Carl Hibbard

Post by Carl Hibbard » Tue Dec 01, 2015 10:10 pm

Ouch
Cheers
Carl Hibbard

Roger de Coverly

Post by Roger de Coverly » Wed Dec 02, 2015 12:55 am

Simon Ansell wrote:Just tuned in to the playoff, not exactly what you want with White in a must draw situation
Nick giving a Simon Williams impersonation. According to the chess24 engine, White was busted once he took on g4 allowing the open h file. That was far from obvious to the spectators, where it looked as if White could pocket all the pawns and survive.

Stewart Reuben

Post by Stewart Reuben » Wed Dec 02, 2015 1:10 am

I am pretty convinced all Armageddon games favour black. Draw odds are quite considerable. 6-4, with an increment with draw odds might be fairer.
I like the Vardapetian concept of 'First Blood'. The players play with equal time. Player 1 has white in game 1. Player 2 has white in games 2 and 3. Player 1 then has white in games 4 and 5. This continues until there is a winner, which may of course come after game 1. That could be FIDE Rated.
The problem of course is how long should you let that continue. The Isner match at Wimbledon which continued for 3 days was ridiculous and I am surprised that the rules weren't changed.
'First Blood' has never caught on. An increment is necessary, even in Armageddon, otherwise an absurd situation like K+N v K+N can occur, as it did in the Women's World Championship.

Jesper Norgaard

Post by Jesper Norgaard » Wed Dec 02, 2015 3:26 am

Richard Bates wrote:Pretty surprised Jonathan didn't choose black.
Exactly, after 2-0 for Black in the two Rapid games between them, should be a big hint. Besides 6-5 is advantageous for black, because Black can use any advantage to kill all life in the position, instead of trying to win.
Stewart Reuben wrote:I am pretty convinced all Armageddon games favour black. Draw odds are quite considerable. 6-4, with an increment with draw odds might be fairer.
One option is to let the 2 players bet on black, the lowest bet wins. If one bets 6-4 and another bets 6½-3½ then the latter will get black and 3½ minutes, the other will get white with 6½ minutes. That seems better than making the organizer guess what are the right odds.
Stewart Reuben wrote:I like the Vardapetian concept of 'First Blood'. The players play with equal time. Player 1 has white in game 1. Player 2 has white in games 2 and 3. Player 1 then has white in games 4 and 5. This continues until there is a winner, which may of course come after game 1. That could be FIDE Rated.
The problem of course is how long should you let that continue. The Isner match at Wimbledon which continued for 3 days was ridiculous and I am surprised that the rules weren't changed.
Isner is a pretty good counter argument against 'First Blood' in chess. I'm surprised too that Wimbledon didn't embrace tiebreaks after the Isner marathon.
Stewart Reuben wrote:'First Blood' has never caught on. An increment is necessary, even in Armageddon, otherwise an absurd situation like K+N v K+N can occur, as it did in the Women's World Championship.
Agreed. Besides K+N vs. K+N should always be a draw even after flag fall IMHO, as in ICC and USCF. Nobody will play helpmate in that kind of position - we know it because it never happened in the history of chess.

In my view a lone knight or a lone bishop should never win (by flag fall) against any material unless the arbiter considers there is a realistic chance for the minor piece to checkmate, like in Stamma's mate (w:Kc2,Nc1 b:Ka1,a3 - 1...a2 2.Nb3#). It is also possible to ask that it is a draw at flag fall unless there is a forced win - but that requires somebody to confirm or deny that there is a forced win, and the arbiter is not always a strong enough player to be able to judge this.

In 1% of all games one player ends up with a lone knight or a lone bishop, and in all these games a flag fall of the opponent is a win for the minor piece according to FIDE. I found 12 games with a lone knight or a lone bishop in my 1200+ games collection.

Mick Norris

Post by Mick Norris » Wed Dec 02, 2015 10:24 am

Roger de Coverly wrote:
Richard Bates wrote:6 mins vs 5 mins with 3secs per move from move 61!? Is this a common time control for these things?
Adams had one in the World Cup, though I think that might have been 5 v 4. In any event, he won both on time and position at around move 30.

I would suspect having increment from move 1 makes it too easy for the draw seeker, whilst not having an increment at all may give the arbiter potential Appendix G claims to rule on.
Yes, the World Cup rule was that White had 5 minutes and Black had 4 minutes, with an increment of 3 seconds/move starting from move 61

Last 16 - Naka beat Nepo with black in 56 moves
Last 32 - Mickey beat Laznicka with white in 27 moves
1st round - Sargissian drew with black against Bartel
Any postings on here represent my personal views

Mick Norris

Post by Mick Norris » Wed Dec 02, 2015 10:40 am

Richard Bates wrote:6 mins vs 5 mins with 3secs per move from move 61!? Is this a common time control for these things? How the hell do you know when you can stop blitzing and start building some time up again (since it's a bit difficult to count moves)?
I think it has developed over the years, looking at this 2008 article
John Saunders

I have read that 6v5 favours black and 5v4 is fairest, both with increments from move 61, but I haven't seen any proper stats - some would depend on style of play, who your opponent is etc

Mick Norris

Post by Mick Norris » Wed Dec 02, 2015 10:45 am

Sem-finals game 1 underway
Howell-Jones
Pert-McShane

Any predictions? Other than Howell getting into time trouble :lol:

Barry Sandercock

Post by Barry Sandercock » Wed Dec 02, 2015 10:48 am

My prediction is David Howell will win the final.

LawrenceCooper

Post by LawrenceCooper » Wed Dec 02, 2015 10:50 am

Mick Norris wrote:Sem-finals game 1 underway
Howell-Jones
Pert-McShane

Any predictions? Other than Howell getting into time trouble :lol:
Luke will also be in time trouble :lol:

Roger de Coverly

Post by Roger de Coverly » Wed Dec 02, 2015 11:04 am

Mick Norris wrote: Any predictions?
Howell v Jones has followed the same idea in the Kings Indian Petrosian system as Rowson v Jones yesterday. It's a line Mark Hebden has been employing for twenty years or more.

The idea is that you regain the piece with f5 and f4. If you regard positions with the blockading Knight on e4 against a Kings Indian Bishop as favourable to White, it looks a very poor idea, but Mark and others including Gawain have made it work. The combination of being at move 19 with a clock time reading 1:28 would suggest some pre-game preparation by David.

MartinCarpenter

Post by MartinCarpenter » Wed Dec 02, 2015 11:18 am

Mick Norris wrote:Other than Howell getting into time trouble :lol:
I'm starting to doubt this slightly(!). He's got to move 21 with 1:27 left and an edge on the clock...... No doubt he'll find a way :)