British Knockout Championship

Discuss anything you like about chess related matters in this forum.
Mick Norris

Re: British Knockout Championship

Post by Mick Norris » Tue Dec 01, 2015 10:33 am

Simon Ansell wrote:Does anyone know if they'll be live commentary of this event, or at least if the games will be transmitted live? Couldn't find anything on the Classic website.
LCC website
Any postings on here represent my personal views

LawrenceCooper

Post by LawrenceCooper » Tue Dec 01, 2015 10:35 am

Roger de Coverly wrote:
Tim Harding wrote: I am not aware that there is anyway currently any Northern Irish player who could compete in an event of this kind. The strongest N.I. players are 50+ seniors: IM Mark Orr (who lives in Scotland) and Keith Allen (who I believe lives on the Isle of Man).
Brian Kelly (2480 inactive) is from Northern Ireland, is he not? If active, he would be the second highest Irish player behind Baburin at 2490.

The highest rated Welsh player is Nigel Davies at 2494, but also inactive.

Rowson is 2569 (inactive). The second Scottish player is Matthew Turner at 2493.
Brian has been based in Hong Kong for about ten years and no longer plays. It's a shame as I'm sure he would have become a GM had he carried on playing. He made his first (only?) GM norm at the event I co-hosted with David Anderton in Lichfield in 2000.

LawrenceCooper

Post by LawrenceCooper » Tue Dec 01, 2015 10:36 am

Mick Norris wrote:
Simon Ansell wrote:Does anyone know if they'll be live commentary of this event, or at least if the games will be transmitted live? Couldn't find anything on the Classic website.
LCC website
Not that I know of. Alternative live coverage (currently ahead of chess24) is here: http://api.livechesscloud.com/live/f2f1 ... 68839a1f91

Barry Sandercock

Post by Barry Sandercock » Tue Dec 01, 2015 11:19 am

Simon Ansell wrote:
Couldn't find anything on the Classic website.

Chess24 live seems to be a good website.

Mick Norris

Post by Mick Norris » Tue Dec 01, 2015 11:23 am

LawrenceCooper wrote:
Mick Norris wrote:
LCC website
Not that I know of. Alternative live coverage (currently ahead of chess24) is here: http://api.livechesscloud.com/live/f2f1 ... 68839a1f91
It is working on the link I gave on the LCC website, as well as chess24live
Any postings on here represent my personal views

Roger de Coverly

Post by Roger de Coverly » Tue Dec 01, 2015 11:32 am

http://live.londonchessclassic.com/brit ... t-2015.php is working.

David Howell already cultivating a time disadvantage, and they haven't reached move 10.

Carl Hibbard

Post by Carl Hibbard » Tue Dec 01, 2015 11:43 am

Mick Norris wrote:
LCC website
The classic start times are very late for a visit next week.
Cheers
Carl Hibbard

Barry Sandercock

Post by Barry Sandercock » Tue Dec 01, 2015 2:10 pm

Nice finish in the Luke McShane game. Luke won.

John McKenna

Post by John McKenna » Tue Dec 01, 2015 2:19 pm

Pert,N 1/2 Hawkins,J - QGD that lasted 26 moves.

Jones,G 1/2 Rowson,J - Slav lasted 30 moves.

Howell,D - Zhou,YF - QID, now in an endgame at move 47...

Edit: Howell 1-0 Zhou - won at move 57 (both players were short of time).
Last edited by John McKenna on Tue Dec 01, 2015 2:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

MartinCarpenter

Post by MartinCarpenter » Tue Dec 01, 2015 2:32 pm

Bit of a tragic end to that Howell - Zhou game :(

John McKenna

Post by John McKenna » Tue Dec 01, 2015 2:38 pm

Yes but, no but... Howell was already in the mood for the quickplay finish endgame - having been short of time since the end of the opening. That's not unusual - Zhou needed to play in a way that took advantage of his opponent's time handling.

Jonathan Rogers

Post by Jonathan Rogers » Tue Dec 01, 2015 2:49 pm

well, the game had levelled out before the blunders at the end. Fair to say that Yang-Fan generally took the game to his opponent and did not deserve to lose, though.

I can see Hawkins v Pert going to a play-off; but if there is to be a "surprise" winner at the end of the day, then on the basis of game one you would think it would be Rowson, who I should think is quite a shrewd match player and would make the most of having a week or more to prepare for his opponent.

Jonathan Rogers

Post by Jonathan Rogers » Tue Dec 01, 2015 4:42 pm

Am not much taken by Hawkins' position, I must say.

Tim Harding

Post by Tim Harding » Tue Dec 01, 2015 5:17 pm

Roger de Coverly wrote:
Tim Harding wrote: I am not aware that there is anyway currently any Northern Irish player who could compete in an event of this kind. The strongest N.I. players are 50+ seniors: IM Mark Orr (who lives in Scotland) and Keith Allen (who I believe lives on the Isle of Man).
Brian Kelly (2480 inactive) is from Northern Ireland, is he not? If active, he would be the second highest Irish player behind Baburin at 2490.

Rowson is 2569 (inactive). The second Scottish player is Matthew Turner at 2493.
I don't think Brian Kelly has been active for many years - the only time I played him was the 1995 Irish championship and I think his rating dates from that era.
CORRECTION: Judging by the Irish Chess Union game database he last played the 2008 olympiad and 2007 Irish championship.
Tim Harding
Historian and FIDE Arbiter

Author of 'Steinitz in London,' British Chess Literature to 1914', 'Joseph Henry Blackburne: A Chess Biography', and 'Eminent Victorian Chess Players'
http://www.chessmail.com

Richard Bates

Post by Richard Bates » Tue Dec 01, 2015 5:36 pm

Tim Harding wrote:
Roger de Coverly wrote:

I don't think Brian Kelly has been active for many years - the only time I played him was the 1995 Irish championship and I think his rating dates from that era.
He was good, but he wasn't that good! ;)