1993 Short V Kasparov Archives

Discuss anything you like about chess related matters in this forum.
Kevin O'Rourke

1993 Short V Kasparov Archives

Post by Kevin O'Rourke » Wed Nov 25, 2015 12:05 pm

Hi just wondering if anyone has recorded archive footage of this match?

On youtube you can get games 6, 8 and 16 on the BBC format with Bill Hartson, Peter Snow etc.. and game 10 of the much better channel 4 coverage with Carol Vordaman, Speelman etc.. Not sure how easy it to transfer it from the old VHS to current format.

I did e mail channel 4 to ask but they didn’t have it as a recognised archive so it would have to be requested and fees of over £100 would incur – that’s if they could even do it at all.

Cheers
Kevin

Kevin O'Rourke

Re: 1993 Short V Kasparov Archives

Post by Kevin O'Rourke » Thu Nov 26, 2015 9:26 pm

https://www.facebook.com/iChessnet/phot ... =3&theater

found this. not sure how easy it is to get hold of.

Angus French

Post by Angus French » Fri Nov 27, 2015 1:05 am

Possibly also of interest:
- The Inner Game by Dominic Lawson - I've not read this but believe it's well regarded;
- Trap, Dominate, F***, an essay by Julian Barnes - an outsider's take on the match. I have read this and think it's excellent. It can be found in Letters From London and in Granta 47 (or it's available in the online archive if you have a subscription to Granta).

Roger de Coverly

Post by Roger de Coverly » Fri Nov 27, 2015 1:15 am

Angus French wrote:Possibly also of interest:
-The Inner Game by Dominic Lawson
Dominic's book is a good read, although possibly a worked example of how not to organise a support team for a world championship.

The Carlsen model is that you travel solo, or near solo, with your seconds and advisers based at home with communication via Skype.

Never mind footage of the 1993 match, does anything survive from 1972? I think the BBC always had an in house presenter, but otherwise you had a relatively youthful Leonard Barden as well as extremely youthful Ray Keene, Bill Hartston, Andrew Whiteley, David Levy and no doubt others.

Kevin O'Rourke

Post by Kevin O'Rourke » Sat Nov 28, 2015 11:04 am

AustinElliott

Post by AustinElliott » Sat Nov 28, 2015 4:51 pm

Kevin O'Rourke wrote:Hi just wondering if anyone has recorded archive footage of this match?

I did e mail channel 4 to ask but they didn’t have it as a recognised archive so it would have to be requested and fees of over £100 would incur – that’s if they could even do it at all.
Now there's a project I wouldn't mind the ECF spending a bit of my membership subscription money on - trying to find/license/collate the available media footage of the match to produce, say, a nice DVD with perhaps added commentary / reminiscences from Nigel and others involved in organising it?? Might even sell some copies - I'd buy one.

Kevin O'Rourke

Post by Kevin O'Rourke » Sat Nov 28, 2015 6:49 pm

AustinElliott wrote:
Kevin O'Rourke wrote:Hi just wondering if anyone has recorded archive footage of this match?

Now there's a project I wouldn't mind the ECF spending a bit of my membership subscription money on - trying to find/license/collate the available media footage of the match to produce, say, a nice DVD with perhaps added commentary / reminiscences from Nigel and others involved in organising it?? Might even sell some copies - I'd buy one.

Did you watch the youtube ones? quite good. We were spoiled for coverage but didn't know it at the time. This was back in the day where a lot of people only had 4 tv channels in their house.

Stewart Reuben

Post by Stewart Reuben » Sat Nov 28, 2015 7:26 pm

I do have available quite a lot about Nigel's progress to the World Championship Match. I have it mainly on DVD, but some possibly solely on VHS.

World Champ. 1991
GM Video Kasparov intrviewed by Plaskett.
Candidates Semis, Short v Karpov. {Suely the pinnacle of Nigle's career.
Candidates Final, Short v Timman.
Introduction to World Champ. 1993
Kasparov's Winning moves simul 1993.
On the line 1993, Pre-match report.
World Champ. 1993. Full match distillation of Channele 4. All 20 games 145 minutes. This is what Austin Elliott wants. Doing reminiscences over 20 years later is not going to happen. Fischer-Spassky has taken over 40 years to get made.
Channel 4 K+S v the Commentators. A consultation match. Chess has never been done better than in this long programme.
Channel 4 Kasparov v Short speed games.
Channel 4 Kasparov v Short speed games + Summary.
Kasparov Interview.

At that time I was not manic about collecting everything on chess on tape. Much of the Channel 4 and BBC material was rather boring, especially the one hour programme at the begining of each game.

I am not willing to copy material only to find it later on youtube, not following copyright protocol.

Kevin O'Rourke

Post by Kevin O'Rourke » Sun Nov 29, 2015 11:24 am

Stewart Reuben wrote:I do have available quite a lot about Nigel's progress to the World Championship Match. I have it mainly on DVD, but some possibly solely on VHS.

World Champ. 1991
GM Video Kasparov intrviewed by Plaskett.
Candidates Semis, Short v Karpov. {Suely the pinnacle of Nigle's career.
Candidates Final, Short v Timman.
Introduction to World Champ. 1993
Kasparov's Winning moves simul 1993.
On the line 1993, Pre-match report.
World Champ. 1993. Full match distillation of Channele 4. All 20 games 145 minutes. This is what Austin Elliott wants. Doing reminiscences over 20 years later is not going to happen. Fischer-Spassky has taken over 40 years to get made.
Channel 4 K+S v the Commentators. A consultation match. Chess has never been done better than in this long programme.
Channel 4 Kasparov v Short speed games.
Channel 4 Kasparov v Short speed games + Summary.
Kasparov Interview.

At that time I was not manic about collecting everything on chess on tape. Much of the Channel 4 and BBC material was rather boring, especially the one hour programme at the begining of each game.

I am not willing to copy material only to find it later on youtube, not following copyright protocol.
thats what i was looking for. How easy is it to obtain from you? ive never loaded anything onto youtube in my life.

Paul Dargan

Post by Paul Dargan » Sun Nov 29, 2015 11:43 am

I remember the consultation game well ... that's where I learned to play d5 without chopping on d4 first. I occasionally get to play that line to this day.

Paul

Stewart Reuben

Post by Stewart Reuben » Sun Nov 29, 2015 5:28 pm

Kevin O'Rourke >How easy is it to obtain from you? <

Not at all easy for the next 3 months. I am very busy.
After that, one of the main problems is getting me to find the time to copy the material. I owe two people material already.
I haven't looked, but I wonder is 'Kasparov Short - The Inside Story' is available on Amazon?
It was GM Video Magazin Number 9 GMV603. Narrated by Keene and King.
It is possible that it is copyright protected. It is also possible that it has been published on DVD by Impala. I have quite a number of the GM Video Magazines on VHS.

Kevin O'Rourke

Post by Kevin O'Rourke » Mon Nov 30, 2015 10:30 am

Hi. Are you converting it from VHS to a DVD? I’m not technically minded but that will mean you have to play the whole lot and record it to the new format. No easy task but I guess some can be done overnight perhaps? If it can be done and it’s not too much trouble I’d be greatful – even after 3 months.

Thanks
Kevin

Stewart Reuben

Post by Stewart Reuben » Mon Nov 30, 2015 11:01 am

Kevin
Each VHS, or DVD has to be recorded in real time to my machine. Then it has to be copied in real time to a blank DVD.
I don't even know how to do that with my complicated new equipment.
Of course I don't have to look at the material while this process is going on.
A much quicker process is to get the material re-recorded professionally. Obviously there is a cost. Also some, perhaps all, commercial copiers may not be willing to record copyright material. All of this is.
To get me to do the work would require a substantial donation, perhaps to Hastings International Chess Congress or The Friends of Chess.

I have just thought. Virtually all these DVDS are in the ECF National Library collection which is in storage. They were probably never played while at Hastngs Library as they were worried about copyright. Nor did they advertise their possession of them.

Kevin O'Rourke

Post by Kevin O'Rourke » Mon Nov 30, 2015 11:19 am

Thanks.

I got a private message from David saying he has them all on a DVD in a cupboard in his house so I think that would be the best route. Thanks for your offer though much appreciated.

David Lettington I have replied to your message, sorry if you got it twice. 

Kevin

Stewart Reuben

Post by Stewart Reuben » Mon Nov 30, 2015 11:28 am

If you are referring to David Lettitngton. He does not have them all on one DVD!
But whatever he has, going back to 1970, would be a treasure trove.