Prizes Then And Now

Discuss anything you like about chess related matters in this forum.
Brian Towers

Re: Prizes Then And Now

Post by Brian Towers » Tue Dec 01, 2015 5:24 pm

Nigel_Davies wrote: Of course the question still remains as to why someone would want to work on their chess (maybe 5,000 hours for IM, 10,000 for GM !?) without any financial support or hope of much income in the future, when they could do something else where the rewards are much greater.
I worked out he answer to this tangentially about 10 years ago. My eldest son could give me a good game but was nowhere near getting a draw. I told him that if he joined my local club's junior section, which would involve 2 hours after school 3 or 4 days a week, then by the age of 16 he would be beating me comfortably. I hoped to appeal to his strong Oedipus complex but to no avail.

That got me thinking. The junior coach is about 2150. The club also has a GM and an IM who both do private 1-1 coaching. That is one GM more than the whole of the UK had when I was growing up. Surely if I'd had the opportunities modern kids have I'd have been at least an IM if not a GM? Then I thought, Tony Miles, who was a year older than me, became one of the top players in the world with no GM coaching (and possibly no IM coaching either). Miles went to Sheffield University to study maths. I went to Oxford University to study maths. I'm pretty sure I was more "intelligent" than Miles yet he became one of the best players in the world and I became a good club player (IMHO;-)).

So, what was the difference between us that made all the difference? Then, in "It's Only Me" I read that when Miles learnt to play "he played every day for a year" and I had the answer. He loved chess. Full Stop. I knew the feeling. I loved maths. At the age of 12 or 13 I stopped spending my pocketmoney on Biggles books and started buying maths books. For fun! I still have the first one I every bought - "Riddles in Mathematics" by Eugene P. Northrop - for one shilling from the second hand bookshop that used to be opposite the Priestman Building of Sunderland Polytechnic.

So, there you have it. "All you need is love" as the Beatles sang. If you want further confirmation it has been supplied by the American superstar basketball player, Kobe Bryant. I understand him perfectly. And so would Miles.
Ah, but I was so much older then. I'm younger than that now.

John McKenna

Post by John McKenna » Tue Dec 01, 2015 6:43 pm

Apologies to Brian, above, but here's some breaking news-

"Murray lashes out at LTA over state of British tennis."

https://uk.sports.yahoo.com/news/murray ... 33874.html

Just as well the England chess teams never struck gold at the Euros - who knows what the leading players may have said?

Brian Towers

Post by Brian Towers » Tue Dec 01, 2015 7:03 pm

John McKenna wrote:Apologies to Brian
None needed.

The answer for both the LTA and the ECF is to try and give as many kids as possible the chance to try your sport and see if they love it so much they end up "playing every day for a year".

That way you have the best chance of unearthing another Miles or Murray.

John McKenna

Post by John McKenna » Tue Dec 01, 2015 7:53 pm

That sounds to me remarkably like something Phil Ehr might say, or have said.

Brian Towers

Post by Brian Towers » Tue Dec 01, 2015 8:20 pm

John McKenna wrote:That sounds to me remarkably like something Phil Ehr might say, or have said.
Should I shoot myself?
Or apply for the vacant post? (Only kidding with this one, just in case anybody takes me seriously. Poisoned chalice and all that, more painful death than a bullet in the brain.)

John McKenna

Post by John McKenna » Tue Dec 01, 2015 8:56 pm

I think we should shoot the pianola, Brian.

The men who wrote the original music are long gone but the refrain remains the same -

The eastern world it is exploding
Violence flarin', bullets loadin'
You're old enough to kill but not for votin'
You don't believe in war but what's that gun you're totin'?
And even the Jordan River has bodies floatin'

But you tell me
Over and over and over again my friend
Ah, you don't believe
We're on the eve of destruction...

Think of all the hate there is in Red China
Then take a look around to Selma, Alabama
You may leave here for a few days in space
But when you return it's the same old place
The pounding of the drums, the pride and disgrace
You can bury your dead but don't leave a trace
Hate your next door neighbor but don't forget to say grace...

And tell me
Over and over and over and over again my friend
You don't believe
We're on the eve of destruction

Here's an ad break -

http://www.pianola.net/