Pawn Sacrifice (Bobby Fischer film)

Discuss anything you like about chess related matters in this forum.
Christopher Kreuzer

Pawn Sacrifice (Bobby Fischer film)

Post by Christopher Kreuzer » Sat Dec 12, 2015 9:15 am

Does anyone know if the Bobby Fischer film 'Pawn Sacrifice' has gone on general release in the UK? I saw scheduled dates of 4 December, but haven't seen it listed anywhere yet? Bit worrying. I know there have been advance showings in the UK and reviews, but have I managed to miss it or has it just been delayed? I hope it hasn't been put on limited release, as then it would be a case of 'blink and you miss it'. :(

Ian Kingston

Re: Pawn Sacrifice (Bobby Fischer film)

Post by Ian Kingston » Sat Dec 12, 2015 10:08 am

It was officially released in the UK on 4 December 2015. According to Filmdates.co.uk, its last showing in a UK cinema was on 7 November 2015, which suggests that it's been completely ignored.

John Collins

Post by John Collins » Sat Dec 12, 2015 11:31 am

Greetings from Nottingham, Ian. You'll just have to buy it in DVD when it's available (like me ).

MJMcCready

Post by MJMcCready » Sat Dec 12, 2015 11:38 am

Or download it if you can't wait. I did manage to get half-way through, it's not really for chess fans tbh.

Ian Kingston

Post by Ian Kingston » Sat Dec 12, 2015 11:42 am

John Collins wrote:Greetings from Nottingham, Ian. You'll just have to buy it in DVD when it's available (like me ).
Hi John!

No firm release date yet for the DVD, but expected Q2 2016 according to the page cited earlier. Not holding my breath.

MJMcCready

Post by MJMcCready » Sat Dec 12, 2015 12:52 pm

I wouldn't, its a struggle to watch.

Geoff Chandler

Post by Geoff Chandler » Wed Dec 16, 2015 3:55 am

Hi,

A quick fleeting visit. I still cannot navigate this new look.

I saw the film. Good and the girl who downloaded it for me.
(a non-player also liked it.) You lot that demand exactness in your lives,
your games and your entertainment are simply too hard to please.

"it's not really for chess fans tbh."

Of course it is. (and what does 'tbh mean. 'Tomorrow Brings Happiness')
I get it, tomorrow you are going to see that piffling tripe. Star Wars. 'The Force Awakens'.

Huh!

Yes there are few (OK more than a few) errors but who cares?
There are that many lies, myths and legends about Fischer no one will know the truth.

What I'm really surprised at is nobody mentioned the Petrosian - Lombardy
game and the analysis in the film .(If they have I've missed it).

Here is my take on it and my recreation of the Petrosian-Lombardy game from the film.

http://www.redhotpawn.com/chess-blog/li ... ogpost.281

It's there unkibitzed across at chessgames.com and I'm just about
to pop over there and yank their chains.

http://www.redhotpawn.com/forum/only-ch ... o-5.166684

John McKenna

Post by John McKenna » Wed Dec 16, 2015 9:58 am

Geoff Chandler wrote:Hi,

A quick fleeting visit. I still cannot navigate this new look.

I saw the film. Good and the girl who downloaded it for me.
(a non-player also liked it.) You lot that demand exactness in your lives,
your games and your entertainment are simply too hard to please.

"it's not really for chess fans tbh."

Of course it is. (and what does 'tbh mean. 'Tomorrow Brings Happiness')
I get it, tomorrow you are going to see that piffling tripe. Star Wars. 'The Force Awakens'.

Huh!

Yes there are few (OK more than a few) errors but who cares?
There are that many lies, myths and legends about Fischer no one will know the truth.

What I'm really surprised at is nobody mentioned the Petrosian - Lombardy
game and the analysis in the film .(If they have I've missed it).

Here is my take on it and my recreation of the Petrosian-Lombardy game from the film.

http://www.redhotpawn.com/chess-blog/li ... ogpost.281

It's there unkibitzed across at chessgames.com and I'm just about
to pop over there and yank their chains.

http://www.redhotpawn.com/forum/only-ch ... o-5.166684

[The Flying Scotsman (made in England) streaks past on his way from RHP to C.c via ECf.]

Geoff, there are three kinds of fan related to this topic - chess, film and Fischer.

You, I think, tick all 3 boxes but in old-school fashion - fashions change.

Thanks for the review and the reminder about Petrosian-Lombardy.

Trivia question for you (or any kibitzers) -

Who won a brilliancy prize playing against William Lombardy in 1974?

Jon Mahony

Post by Jon Mahony » Wed Dec 16, 2015 1:58 pm

I’ve been trying to track down any sort of release date on this, details seem very sketchy and have done for the past year really. Toby Maguire is a medium big draw name thanks to Spiderman, so you would expect some sort of general release for the film. I’ve got a suspicion like “Bobby Fischer against the World” It’ll be a wait for the endlessly delayed DVD job.

I’m not massively holding my breath for the quality of the film to be honest, I saw a trailer on YouTube where Fischer is shouting to Spassky on a beach "I'm coming for you!! You hear me?! I'm coming for YOU!!!" something which Fischer never did, and would never have done - yes he did rant Anti-Semitic vitriol later in life, but he had the utmost respect for Spassky. After all, if relations hadn’t been good, Spassky would never have agreed to the ‘92 rematch (something he could have probably well done without, and mainly did to get Fischer back in the public eye).

If the whole film is full of such moments it will be over dramatized pap, but we'll wait and see.
"When you see a good move, look for a better one!" - Lasker

MJMcCready

Post by MJMcCready » Wed Dec 16, 2015 5:10 pm

Over dramatized pap it is. If you want entertainment that is chess related but not very convincing then you'll enjoy it. It was too dumbed down for my liking.

Jon Mahony

Post by Jon Mahony » Wed Dec 16, 2015 9:47 pm

MJMcCready wrote:Over dramatized pap it is. If you want entertainment that is chess related but not very convincing then you'll enjoy it. It was too dumbed down for my liking.
I was personally looking forward to Heath Ledger's direction of Walter Tevis's novel "The Queen's Gambit" a book universally slagged off by chess players. Yes okay chess wise it's full of errors, and cringe worthy moments especially the part where Beth, by all accounts a super GM hates the endgame and avoids them ugh, yes it's clearly written by a class C player telling the story (Tevis was a very mediocre player) but for god sake it's a great story. It's not AS good as The Hustler (personally I preferred the book to the film, and the sequel "The colour of Money" is far superior to the film counterpart) because Tevis knew a lot more about pool and cards, than chess, but it's a close second. "The man who fell to Earth" is also well worth a read, but I've not seen the film.

Sadly ledger died and the project doesn't seem to have been picked up. Ledger was also going to star in the film (As Beltik or the Bobby Fishcer clone?) we'll never know now :(

Mark Ashley

Post by Mark Ashley » Thu Dec 17, 2015 10:51 am

Christopher Kreuzer wrote:Does anyone know if the Bobby Fischer film 'Pawn Sacrifice' has gone on general release in the UK? I saw scheduled dates of 4 December, but haven't seen it listed anywhere yet? Bit worrying. I know there have been advance showings in the UK and reviews, but have I managed to miss it or has it just been delayed? I hope it hasn't been put on limited release, as then it would be a case of 'blink and you miss it'. :(
I was at the movies last night/ this morning to watch the new star wars movie at a cinema in East London, and the 'Pawn Sacrifice' trailer was playing before the movie. I expect it will be shown at cinemas in the new year.

Jon Mahony

Post by Jon Mahony » Thu Dec 17, 2015 11:55 am

Mark Ashley wrote:
Christopher Kreuzer wrote:Does anyone know if the Bobby Fischer film 'Pawn Sacrifice' has gone on general release in the UK? I saw scheduled dates of 4 December, but haven't seen it listed anywhere yet? Bit worrying. I know there have been advance showings in the UK and reviews, but have I managed to miss it or has it just been delayed? I hope it hasn't been put on limited release, as then it would be a case of 'blink and you miss it'. :(
I was at the movies last night/ this morning to watch the new star wars movie at a cinema in East London, and the 'Pawn Sacrifice' trailer was playing before the movie. I expect it will be shown at cinemas in the new year.
Good news :) And more importantly was The Force Awakens worth the wait? :D

Christopher Kreuzer

Post by Christopher Kreuzer » Thu Dec 17, 2015 12:02 pm

Please, no spoilers!! :!: (for both films, but more for the Star Wars one)

Jon Mahony

Post by Jon Mahony » Thu Dec 17, 2015 12:04 pm

Christopher Kreuzer wrote:Please, no spoilers!! :!: (for both films, but more for the Star Wars one)
Indeed, goes without saying!! I shall be letting the crowds die down, not like 1999 when me and my school mates cued up to see the first showing of Phantom Menace for 4 hours :roll: Was it worth it? Well 3 words Jar Jar Binks :lol: