how long many years do grade calculations take into account

Discuss anything you like about chess related matters in this forum.
Joshua Gibbs

how long many years do grade calculations take into account

Post by Joshua Gibbs » Sat Dec 19, 2015 11:11 pm

Hi I am an improving chess player who has played less than 30 games this season.

I read here http://www.sccu.ndo.co.uk/1011%5Cgrad.htm
that games from over three years ago won't be taken into account when calculating grading -

could somebody confirm whether this is true please?

Ian Thompson

Re: how long many years do grade calculations take into account

Post by Ian Thompson » Sat Dec 19, 2015 11:30 pm

Joshua Gibbs wrote:Hi I am an improving chess player who has played less than 30 games this season.

I read here http://www.sccu.ndo.co.uk/1011%5Cgrad.htm
that games from over three years ago won't be taken into account when calculating grading -

could somebody confirm whether this is true please?
It's explained on the ECF website here - http://www.ecfgrading.org.uk/new/menu.php#hist.

Yes, the SCCU website is right.

Michael Flatt

Post by Michael Flatt » Sun Dec 20, 2015 9:45 am

The ECF website should always provide the most up-to-date information on ECF grades and their method of calculation.

However, when using the ECF grading website you will need to be aware that the menu items shown in left hand panel comprise buttons rather than hyperlinks. Consequently, it is not possible to create a link to a particular page by simply copying the page address unless the "bookmark" item is selected first.

I would suggest that the grading "Help" page provides all the information you seek: http://www.ecfgrading.org.uk/new/menu.php?file=help&

Jon Mahony

Post by Jon Mahony » Mon Dec 21, 2015 12:44 pm

I notice the ECF grading page didn't get it's November update, still on october. I assume it will all be done for the new grade in Jan now.
"When you see a good move, look for a better one!" - Lasker

John Upham

Post by John Upham » Mon Dec 21, 2015 2:48 pm

Jon Mahony wrote:I notice the ECF grading page didn't get it's November update, still on october. I assume it will all be done for the new grade in Jan now.

On the 19th of November 2015 a message was sent by the ECF Office to various persons:
Richard was admitted into hospital last week to undergo some tests. Whilst he remains in hospital, he is fine in himself, and has been in contact with the office and with Howard and Brian. He is most keen to reassure you all that rumours of his demise being the fault of the Arbiter-Controller Nexus for not approving their reports, are, he believes, without any substantial foundation.

This note is to let you know therefore that the next update due to take place on 25th November will not take place, and at present files are not being processed. A decision will be taken by the grading team on the 25th as to when the next update will take place, and how best we can clear the backlog of games that has accrued.
British Chess News : britishchessnews.com
Twitter: @BritishChess
Facebook: facebook.com/groups/britishchess :D

LawrenceCooper

Post by LawrenceCooper » Mon Dec 21, 2015 3:14 pm

John Upham wrote:
Jon Mahony wrote:I notice the ECF grading page didn't get it's November update, still on october. I assume it will all be done for the new grade in Jan now.

On the 19th of November 2015 a message was sent by the ECF Office to various persons:
Richard was admitted into hospital last week to undergo some tests. Whilst he remains in hospital, he is fine in himself, and has been in contact with the office and with Howard and Brian. He is most keen to reassure you all that rumours of his demise being the fault of the Arbiter-Controller Nexus for not approving their reports, are, he believes, without any substantial foundation.

This note is to let you know therefore that the next update due to take place on 25th November will not take place, and at present files are not being processed. A decision will be taken by the grading team on the 25th as to when the next update will take place, and how best we can clear the backlog of games that has accrued.
He responded very promptly to two recent e-mails from me so hopefully all is now well.

Jon Mahony

Post by Jon Mahony » Mon Dec 21, 2015 3:37 pm

I'd totally missed that message, I hope all is well with Richard :)
"When you see a good move, look for a better one!" - Lasker

MartinCarpenter

Post by MartinCarpenter » Mon Dec 21, 2015 4:04 pm

Definitely :) I've had nothing but respect for any volunteer grader since I saw John Griffith one year with a huge pile of results to type in.....

Just to be strictly pedantic, there is an effect from games going back further than three years - yes, they're not used in the direct calculation but you do normally get the odd game where you're graded at +-40 vs your existing grade every season. A portion of that existing grade will then include games from a bit further back.

Typically entirely tiny, although I suppose you could get it noticeable if you really worked at dreaming up an appropriate scenario.