Playing against the Sicilian defence as white… Nxc6 move

Discuss anything you like about chess related matters in this forum.
Kevin O'Rourke

Playing against the Sicilian defence as white… Nxc6 move

Post by Kevin O'Rourke » Fri Jan 15, 2016 12:04 pm

Hi I wonder if anyone can explain why White often takes Black’s Knight on c6 in the Sicilian defence?

At first glance I thought that White’s knight is on a nice central square (d4) while Black’s has only moved once (to c6) I even saw Carlsen do it so it must be right (compared to my ability anyway :D )

It doesn’t even double Black’s pawns since the c pawn is gone.

Any insight would be appreciated

Thanks
kevin

MartinCarpenter

Re: Playing against the Sicilian defence as white… Nxc6 move

Post by MartinCarpenter » Fri Jan 15, 2016 12:22 pm

Depends when you mean? The main time that its done fairly often is when black has gone b5 - then Nxc6 can slow his attack up a few moves by putting some of his pieces on slightly odd squares. Also gives the c3 knight somewhere to go after it gets hit by b4 (round to d4!).

Its much rarer when black can still go bxc6, but sometimes the knight isn't stable on d4 and retreating it to b3 (or f3/e2 etc) is hardly optimal either, so :) A few lines where white does try it of his own accord, I think mostly associated with black having dark squared weaknesses. So lines e6/a6 in say, or that line in the Rauzer where white can then hit d6, forces d5 and can fix the center on c6/d5/e6.

Roger de Coverly

Re: Playing against the Sicilian defence as white… Nxc6 move

Post by Roger de Coverly » Fri Jan 15, 2016 12:43 pm

Kevin O'Rourke wrote:Hi I wonder if anyone can explain why White often takes Black’s Knight on c6 in the Sicilian defence?
I'm not sure it's that often in systems where Black has played d6 as well. If he hasn't, you have access to the d6 square and can play e5. So it's most often seen where Black has not moved either the e7 or d7 pawns, or just has played .. e5.

Systems where it would be considered wimpy at best would be
normal Dragon ( sometimes it's played in the Accelerated)
Richter Rauser
Sozin
any of the .. e5 systems
Scheveningen

So it's really only part of mainstream theory in the e6 systems, Kan, Paulsen, Taimanov, Four Knights and a couple of lines in the Accelerated Dragon.

It is however a tactical hit sometimes.

Black now has to find .. Nd7 to avoid marginal or serious disadvantage.