Chess Openings

Discuss anything you like about chess related matters in this forum.
soheil_hooshdaran

Chess Openings

Post by soheil_hooshdaran » Sat Jan 16, 2016 6:02 am

Hello.
Is there any in-depth, free material, possibly video,s on specific openings

Barry Sandercock

Re: Chess Openings

Post by Barry Sandercock » Wed Jan 20, 2016 11:15 am

Don't worry about the openings too much. Just develop your pieces and control the centre and you won't go far wrong.

Niall Doran

Post by Niall Doran » Wed Jan 20, 2016 12:34 pm

Yes. The internet is full of material, there are lots of good quality videos on Youtube, just type in the name of the opening you're looking for.

Regarding openings, this is a good site, with lots of openings covered : http://www.kenilworthchessclub.org/articles/

Exeter Chess Club have good suggestions for a beginner's opening repertoire, just download the .pdf or .pgn file. http://exeterchessclub.org.uk/content/f ... repertoire

soheil_hooshdaran

Post by soheil_hooshdaran » Thu Jan 21, 2016 7:06 am

Thank you

soheil_hooshdaran

Post by soheil_hooshdaran » Thu Jan 21, 2016 7:10 am

Barry Sandercock wrote:Don't worry about the openings too much. Just develop your pieces and control the centre and you won't go far wrong.
:D
American players also seem to have abandoned the opening phase or taken it lightly, and I increased my Elo rating by more than 40 points so far.
I also increased my USCF rating by more than 250 points, having won two NMs

John Upham

Post by John Upham » Thu Jan 21, 2016 10:24 am

Barry,
Following your excellent advice I am recommending developing rooks via a3 and h3 and bringing them to d3 and e3 so developing pieces and controlling the centre: many thanks! :D
British Chess News : britishchessnews.com
Twitter: @BritishChess
Facebook: facebook.com/groups/britishchess :D

Brian Towers

Post by Brian Towers » Thu Jan 21, 2016 1:14 pm

John Upham wrote:Barry,
Following your excellent advice I am recommending developing rooks via a3 and h3 and bringing them to d3 and e3 so developing pieces and controlling the centre: many thanks! :D
John,
I don't think you have quite understood the concepts of "developing pieces" and "controlling the centre". You cannot control the centre with pieces alone, Tartakower and Reti notwithstanding. You need to occupy it with pawns to have some control.
While you were playing the 6 moves a4, h4, Ra3, Rh3, Rad3, Rhe3 your opponent was playing e5, d5, Nf6, Nc6, Bc5, Bf5 after which he has developed 4 pieces to your 2 and has an iron grip on the centre. Your opponent is crushing you!
Ah, but I was so much older then. I'm younger than that now.

John Upham

Post by John Upham » Thu Jan 21, 2016 1:47 pm

Oh yes, I hadn't considered that: thanks for your help Brian!
British Chess News : britishchessnews.com
Twitter: @BritishChess
Facebook: facebook.com/groups/britishchess :D

Roger de Coverly

Post by Roger de Coverly » Thu Jan 21, 2016 1:50 pm

Brian Towers wrote: You need to occupy it with pawns to have some control.
The beginner's rook development can sometimes work, particularly if there already have been some pieces exchanged.

From one of my recent games after White's move 14

after move 15

and at move 16

The King had been to d7 and back, so O-O is not legal and White has an advantage in development.

Later in the game, a more normal structure ensued.
at move 26

Brian Towers

Post by Brian Towers » Thu Jan 21, 2016 4:39 pm

Roger de Coverly wrote: The beginner's rook development can sometimes work, particularly if there already have been some pieces exchanged.
Really, Roger, I don't think there is any call for such pejorative language as " beginner's rook development"! In all the more progressive middlegame books the manoeuvre is referred to as a "rook lift".

Matt Mackenzie

Post by Matt Mackenzie » Thu Jan 21, 2016 6:10 pm

I recall the late D B Pritchard's chess primer telling us that developing the rooks in that fashion was "invariably bad".

You can see why he made that claim, but it wasn't really true then and certainly ain't now......
"Set up your attacks so that when the fire is out, it isn't out!" (H N Pillsbury)

soheil_hooshdaran

Post by soheil_hooshdaran » Sat Jan 23, 2016 4:18 am

you can go say that's not development-it is re-deployment, however meaningless that change of words would be

Brian Towers

Post by Brian Towers » Sat Jan 23, 2016 12:19 pm

Matt Mackenzie wrote:I recall the late D B Pritchard's chess primer telling us that developing the rooks in that fashion was "invariably bad".

You can see why he made that claim, but it wasn't really true then and certainly ain't now......
Are modern coaches more tolerant?

Mark Dvoretsky's first coach, Alexander Roshal, wasn't:
Mark Dvoretsky in part 1 of his autobiography 'For Friends & Colleagues' wrote:In one of the first category tournaments I lost an upsetting game. In the next round I was playing against a friend, Ilya Khaslavsky, who later tragically died in the army; he became one of the numerous victims of hazing. After the loss I was upset and began my game with Khaslavsky with the move 1.a4. Roshal disapprovingly looked at me but did not interfere. Ilya cast a surprised look at the board and moved my pawn back to a2. [obviously no arbiters in those days] I returned it to a4. At this point Roshal lost it and shouted "That's it! I'm done with you. Let Simagin suffer with you!"
Follow up question: "Are modern juniors as cheeky?"
Mark Dvoretsky wrote:After the game (which ended in a draw) Vladimir Pavlovich [Simagin] started to explain to me that advancing the rook pawn was against opening principles and tha a game should not be started this way. I, of course, understood that myself but argued for the sake of being contrary. I said that I played the King's Indian Attack and there that move, a4, was usually useful. Simagin showed me setups for Black where this move was unnecessary. This discussion ended up being a little bit ridiculous.