ACP Grand Survey 2016

Discuss anything you like about chess related matters in this forum.
Brian Towers

Re: ACP Grand Survey 2016

Post by Brian Towers » Mon Feb 29, 2016 4:06 pm

Stewart Reuben wrote:I am always willing to help with re-drafting a Law where desirable.
There are 3 or 4 areas of the Laws which I find confusing / contradictory / ambiguous. Do you prefer these be raised with you via PM or in the forum?
Perhaps if in the forum a new thread or threads would be better than rat-holing this one.
Ah, but I was so much older then. I'm younger than that now.

Stewart Reuben

Post by Stewart Reuben » Mon Feb 29, 2016 6:33 pm

Brian I suggest you start a new thread and draw my attention to it.
Put the current law.
Then what you find confusing.
Then your suggested amendment, if any.
Of course the death of Sevan Muradian, who was secretary of the commission, has set us back. But the FIDE Congress now starts in early September. We will want to circulate our proposed amendments with the Agenda. We may not be able to afford to meet live in advance.

E Michael White

Post by E Michael White » Fri Mar 25, 2016 11:08 pm

Stewart Reuben wrote:E Michael White >Most chess players of all playing levels that speak to me would like the laws to be clear that only one hand may be used when playing a castling or any other move.<

Laws of Chess 4.1. Each move must be made with one hand only.
3.8b. by 'castling'. This is a move of the king and either rook... {It is NOT two moves}
6.2b. A player must press his clock with the same hand with which he made his move.

I think this is unambiguous. Please explain. I am always willing to help with re-drafting a Law where desirable.
The problem arises in the US because they do NOT necessarily play according to the FIDE Laws in their non-FIDE-Rated events. This works to the disadvantage of people playing in the US. Until quite recently thy did not even play according to the FIDE Laws in their FIDE-Rated events.
Just noticed this. it's not that the laws on castling are ambiguous it's just that they don't say what you think they do! I guess I will put in a request for a change as players are now invited to do that if they wish, according to this link http://rules.fide.com/ I have until 16 June which shouldn't be too onerous.

A while back I mentioned to you about the 75 move law which is being corrected but is anything happening on he other two laws I mentioned. Are these the laws that Alex H is being asked to rewrite?

Stewart Reuben

Post by Stewart Reuben » Sat Mar 26, 2016 2:04 pm

Michael > it's not that the laws on castling are ambiguous it's just that they don't say what you think they do!<

I think they state: castling is a move and counts as a king move.
A consequence of this is that castling must be made with one hand only.
You think they mean something else. But, if you don't state what they actually mean in your opinion, how can one make any progress?

>A while back I mentioned to you about the 75 move law which is being corrected but is anything happening on he other two laws I mentioned. Are these the laws that Alex H is being asked to rewrite?<
I can't remember the discussion about this.