Greatest English Chess Players

Discuss anything you like about chess related matters in this forum.
Joey Stewart

Greatest English Chess Players

Post by Joey Stewart » Mon Mar 21, 2016 2:28 pm

You know there are often "lists" online of the greatest of all time, but I just typed in greatest English players and found that nobody has ever attempted to create such a list. Since this is the English chess forum, it seems only right that we should try and put forward some names to make a top 10 best English players who ever lived.

To get the ball rolling, I have a candidate list of successful players who might be considered our best....

1. Michael Adams
2. Jonathan Penrose
3. Nigel Short
4. Howard Staunton
5. Joseph Blackburne
6. Jon Speelman
7. Tony Miles
8. Henry Ernest Atkins
9. Julian Hodgson
10. Gawain Jones
Last edited by Joey Stewart on Mon Mar 21, 2016 5:57 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Lose one queen and it is a disaster, Lose 1000 queens and it is just a statistic.

JustinHorton

Re: Greatest English Chess Players

Post by JustinHorton » Mon Mar 21, 2016 2:33 pm

Not sure I'd rank all of those above Jon Speelman, who participated in a Candidates series.
"Do you play chess?"
"Yes, but I prefer a game with a better chance of cheating."

lostontime.blogspot.com

Joey Stewart

Post by Joey Stewart » Mon Mar 21, 2016 3:17 pm

Well some of them are kind of hard to qualify because they are so old, but they did have great success in their time and deserved a mention.
Speelman could well be a candidate for the list, though I am not sure I would be brave enough to put him number one. The top 3 of the list also got into candidate series.
Lose one queen and it is a disaster, Lose 1000 queens and it is just a statistic.

NickFaulks

Post by NickFaulks » Mon Mar 21, 2016 3:33 pm

England's first GM at 8 is ridiculous.
If you want a picture of the future, imagine a QR code stamped on a human face — forever.

Mick Norris

Post by Mick Norris » Mon Mar 21, 2016 3:41 pm

Joey Stewart wrote:You know there are often "lists" online of the greatest of all time, but I just typed in greatest English players and found that nobody has ever attempted to create such a list. Since this is the English chess forum, it seems only right that we should try and put forward some names to make a top 10 best English players who ever lived.

To get the ball rolling, I have a candidate list of successful players who might be considered our best....

1. Michael Adams
2. Jonathan Penrose
3. Nigel Short
4. Howard Staunton
5. David Howell
6. Julian Hodgeson
7. Henry Ernest Atkins
8. Tony Miles
9. Gawain Jones
10.Luke McShane
Julian's surname hasn't got an e

Is this list in order?
Any postings on here represent my personal views

Joey Stewart

Post by Joey Stewart » Mon Mar 21, 2016 3:44 pm

NickFaulks wrote:England's first GM at 8 is ridiculous.
Well miles really didnt actually acomplish a whole lot, yeah he got that win against karpov with a dodgy opening but can anyone remember many other great successes of his? He deserves a place on the list, nevertheless, but I think those above him would do a little better if you threw them all into a big tournament. Plus, from what I hear, penrose was effectively a grand master level player but chose not to pursue the title.

Joey Stewart

Post by Joey Stewart » Mon Mar 21, 2016 3:47 pm

Mick Norris wrote:
Julian's surname hasn't got an e

Is this list in order?
Fixed that now, I never realised it was spelled without an e - it doesnt quite look phonetically right but I guess it is up to him how he spells his name.

It is in a bit of an order, but these things are quite subjective so could easily change if somebody puts a strong case for their favourite master.

JustinHorton

Post by JustinHorton » Mon Mar 21, 2016 3:55 pm

Joey Stewart wrote:
NickFaulks wrote:England's first GM at 8 is ridiculous.
Well miles really didnt actually acomplish a whole lot, yeah he got that win against karpov with a dodgy opening but can anyone remember many other great successes of his?
World Junior Champion for instance. The win against Karpov was also a sensational result.
"Do you play chess?"
"Yes, but I prefer a game with a better chance of cheating."

lostontime.blogspot.com

Mick Norris

Post by Mick Norris » Mon Mar 21, 2016 4:00 pm

JustinHorton wrote:World Junior Champion for instance. The win against Karpov was also a sensational result.
Agreed on both counts

How many English players have won a world title?
Any postings on here represent my personal views

PeterFarr

Post by PeterFarr » Mon Mar 21, 2016 4:01 pm

Blackburne would surely make the list?

Alexander maybe? - though perhaps not strong enough or English enough?

Joey Stewart

Post by Joey Stewart » Mon Mar 21, 2016 4:04 pm

JustinHorton wrote: World Junior Champion for instance. The win against Karpov was also a sensational result.

I think everybody on the list has a win against a world champion to their name so it is not quite enough to elevate miles much higher.

Although you mentioned Jon Speelman earlier and, after looking up some of his games I have to say I am leaning towards making space for him somewhere - his creative play is amazing, it is a real pleasure to watch some of the genius attacks he comes up with.

Matt Mackenzie

Post by Matt Mackenzie » Mon Mar 21, 2016 4:05 pm

Yes, I would have Blackburne and Speelman in for Jones and Hodgson - perhaps Nunn for Atkins too?
"Set up your attacks so that when the fire is out, it isn't out!" (H N Pillsbury)

AustinElliott

Post by AustinElliott » Mon Mar 21, 2016 4:07 pm

Of the players of earlier eras, Blackburne surely has to be a massive omission, and one could make a case for Yates (good enough to have beaten Alekhine, Rubinstein, Reti and Tarrash, among others).

Edit: spotted this previous thread, which touches on similar issues, and where someone makes an argument for 'making it into the world's top 10', or something analogous. There may well be other threads too.
Last edited by AustinElliott on Mon Mar 21, 2016 4:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Joey Stewart

Post by Joey Stewart » Mon Mar 21, 2016 4:07 pm

Who is this blackburn guy? Not heard of him before.

Roger de Coverly

Post by Roger de Coverly » Mon Mar 21, 2016 4:11 pm

Joey Stewart wrote:Who is this blackburn guy? Not heard of him before.
There's a book about him.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Joseph-Henry-Bl ... 0786474734