Adjournments, Quickplay Finishes RIP (2017)?

Discuss anything you like about chess related matters in this forum.
NickFaulks

Re: Adjournments, Quickplay Finishes RIP (2017)?

Post by NickFaulks » Sun Mar 27, 2016 1:00 pm

Christopher Kreuzer wrote:Of course there are still leagues that use adjournments.
The Surrey League has adjudications, too. Quite handy in a way, since computer analysis will normally lead one side to abandon, although I cannot accept this as a proper way to end a game.

If you want quaint, they also have this.

"Where digital clocks are offered, either player may insist on the use of an analogue clock".
If you want a picture of the future, imagine a QR code stamped on a human face — forever.

Joey Stewart

Post by Joey Stewart » Sun Mar 27, 2016 1:03 pm

Just to help slow progress, what a great rule....
Lose one queen and it is a disaster, Lose 1000 queens and it is just a statistic.

Alex Holowczak

Post by Alex Holowczak » Sun Mar 27, 2016 2:21 pm

NickFaulks wrote:"Where digital clocks are offered, either player may insist on the use of an analogue clock".
Some local teams, when they visit our club, have made up the existence of a similar rule in my local leagues. As you might imagine, the last captain who tried that on against my team got fairly short shrift... :oops:

J T Melsom

Post by J T Melsom » Sun Mar 27, 2016 2:39 pm

The first season of digital clocks being used in the Bucks league is drawing to a close. Apart from confusion caused by unfamiliarity, the only objection raised has been the issue of delay in adding the time after the first time control, so that you don't automatically have your exact remaining time displayed. I have some sympathy but it is hardly sufficient to deny the use of digital. I suspect that the alternatives of all the moves in a single time period, or fixed time plus increment would be more contentious.

The Surrey rule may have been well intentioned, but any new club is hardly likely to invest in analogue clocks, and a club should not be discouraged from buying digital by leagues limiting their use.

Kevin Thurlow

Post by Kevin Thurlow » Sun Mar 27, 2016 3:15 pm

"Where digital clocks are offered, either player may insist on the use of an analogue clock".

That was because the club that first got them was very unpopular and very successful (the second being not entirely unrelated to the first). I think it dates back about ten years when a few 19th Century die-hards were insisting that QP finishes were evil and so were digital clocks. So there was a great deal of randomness in Surrey rules. Actually, there still is, but at least digital clocks are now commonplace.

I played Bogdan Lalic in the Surrey League (Division 2!) last week, and we went through the usual ritual where the away player offers two means of finishing the game, (out of the three adjournment, adjudication, QP) actually he only offered QP, but that's what I wanted. Surrey has the sub-option for QP of having Fischer timing so I suggested that, and he declined, which was interesting. He still won.

Alex Holowczak

Post by Alex Holowczak » Sun Mar 27, 2016 5:18 pm

Kevin Thurlow wrote:Surrey has the sub-option for QP of having Fischer timing so I suggested that, and [Bogdan] declined, which was interesting. He still won.
If you were aware of his Facebook activity, asking Bogdan if he wanted to play a game with increment - or, as he calls it, "excrement" - couldn't be more trolling if you tried.

That's probably why you didn't receive a draw offer from him on move 10. :wink:

Kevin Thurlow

Post by Kevin Thurlow » Sun Mar 27, 2016 6:32 pm

"If you were aware of his Facebook activity, asking Bogdan if he wanted to play a game with increment - or, as he calls it, "excrement" - couldn't be more trolling if you tried.

That's probably why you didn't receive a draw offer from him on move 10. :wink:"

I wasn't aware... I wondered why he castled opposite sides and went g4 and h4 - he must have been a bit cross! He still seemed quite affable though.

Thanks for the tip - I'll remember that for next time.

Joey Stewart

Post by Joey Stewart » Mon Mar 28, 2016 12:39 am

I dont see anything wrong with a little increment, sure it means that you are not likely to swindle your opponent on time in a losing position but you wouldnt have thought a player of his level would be in that situation very often anyway.
Big increments can be annoying - like at 4ncl watching Mark Campbell missing a winning endgame against a team mate of mine and then proceeding to play on over 50 moves of spite to ensure neither team could go out to eat before 9pm.
Lose one queen and it is a disaster, Lose 1000 queens and it is just a statistic.