Future England Grandmasters?

Discuss anything you like about chess related matters in this forum.
Alistair Campbell

Re: Future England Grandmasters?

Post by Alistair Campbell » Sat May 14, 2016 6:39 pm

Christopher Kreuzer wrote:Anyone want to speculate on future IRL (Ireland), WLS (Wales) and SCO (Scotland) IMs and GMs?
IM Jack Rudd wrote:My guesses for Scotland's next GM and IM would be Andrew Greet and Clement Sreeves.
Next GM will be Andrew Greet, or the next foreign GM who settles in Scotland. I'm not sure the next Scots-born GM has actually been born yet.

Next IM? I think Neil Berry has the norms and just needs the rating. I think Alan Tate is in a similar situation although I can't see evidence. Next one might be Iain Gourlay, since he has the rating and seems to be playing well enough. Other than those, maybe Clément as stated.

Next FM? Maybe Calum McQueen. Maybe Joe Redpath. Maybe Murad Abdulla. Maybe they haven't been born yet either :shock:

There have been plenty of players with the talent or ability, but they get to 2200 and then seem to run into a brick wall. Lack of international opportunities is often given as a reason - the longevity of the 50-something generations is one factor here.

Alistair Campbell

Post by Alistair Campbell » Thu Jul 27, 2017 2:13 pm

Alistair Campbell wrote:
Alistair Campbell wrote:
Christopher Kreuzer wrote:Anyone want to speculate on future IRL (Ireland), WLS (Wales) and SCO (Scotland) IMs and GMs?
IM Jack Rudd wrote:My guesses for Scotland's next GM and IM would be Andrew Greet and Clement Sreeves.
Next GM will be Andrew Greet, or the next foreign GM who settles in Scotland. I'm not sure the next Scots-born GM has actually been born yet.

Next IM? I think Neil Berry has the norms and just needs the rating. I think Alan Tate is in a similar situation although I can't see evidence. Next one might be Iain Gourlay, since he has the rating and seems to be playing well enough. Other than those, maybe Clément as stated.

Next FM? Maybe Calum McQueen. Maybe Joe Redpath. Maybe Murad Abdulla. Maybe they haven't been born yet either :shock:

There have been plenty of players with the talent or ability, but they get to 2200 and then seem to run into a brick wall. Lack of international opportunities is often given as a reason - the longevity of the 50 something generations is one factor here.

Apologies for resurrecting an old thread, but I recalled this when Murad became Scottish Champion the other day, having achieved the FM title in midweek - a benefit of having a K-factor of 40 (and the Edinburgh Premier weekender being FIDE rated).

Where are we with the rest of my predictions?

Andrew Greet has come close to GM norm a couple of times (from few opportunities). In the Dundee 150, he was a bit unlucky being on 5.5/8 going into the final round - had they been using the May rating list (I think) then 6.5 would have been a GM norm, but a decline of a few points in other ratings had edged the requirement up to 7. In the event he drew a long game (K+R+N v K+R+R) under the 50 move rule (but won the tournament).

I think Iain Gourlay has 2 IM norms - not sure how he is fixed for the 3rd. Alan and Neil still need the rating - frustratingly Alan gets close then has a bad couple of results and drifts away again. It'll come.

I think Joe came within a half point of the FM title at the SNCL - a draw rather than a win. But he'll get that soon, I would guess.

How are others' predictions doing?

(PS further apologies for my editing issues - not sure what happened back then)

LawrenceCooper

Post by LawrenceCooper » Tue Oct 17, 2017 5:59 pm

Daniel Fernandez has had his title confirmed http://www.fide.com/component/content/a ... urkey.html