Compulsory membership for rapidplays

Discuss anything you like about chess related matters in this forum.
Roger de Coverly

Compulsory membership for rapidplays

Post by Roger de Coverly » Mon Apr 11, 2016 6:58 pm

Should rapidplay organisers make ECF Silver membership compulsory for all entrants? At least one organiser thinks so.

http://www.ecforum.org.uk/viewtopic.php ... 04#p178423

MartinCarpenter

Re: Compulsory membership for rapidplays

Post by MartinCarpenter » Mon Apr 11, 2016 8:20 pm

Surely just sane down south? Can't imagine anyone doing it in Yorkshire for the obvious reason.

Sean Hewitt

Post by Sean Hewitt » Mon Apr 11, 2016 8:43 pm

Roger de Coverly wrote:Should rapidplay organisers make ECF Silver membership compulsory for all entrants?
The alternative is for the organiser to get involved in collecting fees for playing on behalf of the federation. The reality is that this only affects players who player congress chess only, and only play one or two events per year. This is enough of an edge case to justify the stated policy.

Brian Towers

Post by Brian Towers » Tue Apr 12, 2016 12:19 am

Roger de Coverly wrote:Should rapidplay organisers make ECF Silver membership compulsory for all entrants?
I think it depends what level competitions they're running.

For very young (say U8), weak juniors I think it doesn't make much sense to send games off for grading or to penalize them for illegal moves, for that matter. When they're a bit older and stronger it's another matter, although surely you would just surcharge them the fiver or whatever it is?
Ah, but I was so much older then. I'm younger than that now.

Adam Raoof

Post by Adam Raoof » Tue Apr 12, 2016 3:47 pm

Personal answer: no. ECF Membership for rapid chess is not compulsory, and there is the marginal possibility that players who are new to the tournament scene might be put off.

Practical answer: some organisers (CCF) prefer to make it obligatory because it saves the hassle of collecting and passing on the pay-to-play fee, as Sean said.

Experience says: if you are likely to get a lot of new players and want to make them as welcome as possible, as well as maximising the number of entrants - do the paperwork!
Adam Raoof IA, IO
Chess England Events - https://chessengland.com/
The Chess Circuit - https://chesscircuit.substack.com/
Don’t stop playing chess!

Andy_Stoker

Post by Andy_Stoker » Tue Apr 12, 2016 4:56 pm

Despite having a reasonable theoretical strength (last quickplay grade was 192 - but that's a significant over-estimate of my strength) I play at most one or two tournaments a year (none since 2013) ... make me have to become an ECF member and it's not going to happen at all... and people won't start playing tournaments if they are penalized like that.