How to play better chess

Discuss anything you like about chess related matters in this forum.
Kevin Thurlow

How to play better chess

Post by Kevin Thurlow » Fri Apr 15, 2016 9:37 am

BBC programme last night called "How to Stay Young" included a visit to a USAF facility where they were improving powers of memory and concentration by running a 1 - 2 milliamp current though electrodes on the head. It apparently improved performance by about 30 %. This was useful for people watching footage from drones and they could decide whether to shoot people or not.

Such a device could also help you play chess... It might infringe 11.1 and 11.5, but it is not a "communication device", so maybe it's legal!

NickFaulks

Re: How to play better chess

Post by NickFaulks » Fri Apr 15, 2016 10:18 am

Kevin Thurlow wrote: Such a device could also help you play chess...
As described, it sounds guaranteed to do so, and by quite a lot.
If you want a picture of the future, imagine a QR code stamped on a human face — forever.

JustinHorton

Post by JustinHorton » Fri Apr 15, 2016 10:43 am

Kevin Thurlow wrote:they were improving powers of memory and concentration by running a 1 - 2 milliamp current though electrodes on the head.
We need a volunteer
"Do you play chess?"
"Yes, but I prefer a game with a better chance of cheating."

lostontime.blogspot.com

stevencarr

Post by stevencarr » Fri Apr 15, 2016 11:00 am

Kevin Thurlow wrote:BBC programme last night called "How to Stay Young" included a visit to a USAF facility where they were improving powers of memory and concentration by running a 1 - 2 milliamp current though electrodes on the head. It apparently improved performance by about 30 %. This was useful for people watching footage from drones and they could decide whether to shoot people or not.

Such a device could also help you play chess... It might infringe 11.1 and 11.5, but it is not a "communication device", so maybe it's legal!
I would certainly remember if somebody did this to me , and I would concentrate carefully to see if they planned to do it again.

So it must work!

Mick Norris

Post by Mick Norris » Fri Apr 15, 2016 11:05 am

JustinHorton wrote:
Kevin Thurlow wrote:they were improving powers of memory and concentration by running a 1 - 2 milliamp current though electrodes on the head.
We need a volunteer
Maybe a retired GM?
Any postings on here represent my personal views