British Championship 2017

Discuss anything you like about chess related matters in this forum.
Stewart Reuben

Re: British Championship 2017

Post by Stewart Reuben » Thu May 26, 2016 12:35 pm

Lee Bullock >ok apologies if this has already been suggested but is it a crazy idea to have 2 rounds in 1 day for the 1st 2 days? <

It is not crazy, but highly undesirable. See the discussion elsewhere about biorhythms - if nothing else. People want there to be an event where players can seek to play at their best. It would not be until the 6th round at the earliest that players will have settled down.

The main way in which the rest of the Home Countries leave the ECF to get on with it is financial. The ECF takes the risk and benefits from any surplus. I did think of a separate company being set up. This would have the modest advantage of avoiding VAT on the entry fees. It is modest because there is claim-back, e.g. hotel costs for the arbiters.

Of course it is nonsense to issue a questionnaire, never to reveal the results and yet make decisions based on the answers. To some considerable extent the event is a cooperative. The ECF is a major player as it provides funds from such as the John Robinson money. But Council, apart from stating what suplus/deficit it is aiming for, is a minor player. It can, however, provide valuable input. It is very difficult to obtain the views of players who might play were the conditions different.

Are the objectives of running this, or any other event, considered from time to time? See Page 11 of the Third edition of my book. That section is available on the ECF website.

NickFaulks

Post by NickFaulks » Thu May 26, 2016 12:41 pm

Michael Flatt wrote: Lee Bullock's idea of doubling up the early rounds rather than compressing the later rounds seems worth pursuing. It is in the nature of Swiss Events that results in the later rounds are more critical in determining the prizewinners.
This is inseparable from the question of time controls. It is difficult to find a single time control that is suitable for both one and two rounds per day. If you are wedded to 30 second increments, then in my opinion it becomes impossible.
If you want a picture of the future, imagine a QR code stamped on a human face — forever.

Roger de Coverly

Post by Roger de Coverly » Thu May 26, 2016 12:57 pm

NickFaulks wrote: It is difficult to find a single time control that is suitable for both one and two rounds per day. If you are wedded to 30 second increments, then in my opinion it becomes impossible.
The British is now using the 90/40 + 30 move rate with 30 second increments, which can be used for a double round day and is so at many tournaments including the Saturday double round at the London Classic FIDE Open. Other than to facilitate a double round day, I don't see the logic of choosing this move rate for the British as opposed to the 4NCL rate of 40/100 + 50 with increment, or even what it used to be of 40/100, 20/50 + 15 with increment.

Stewart Reuben

Post by Stewart Reuben » Thu May 26, 2016 1:29 pm

Roger >The British is now using the 90/40 + 30 move rate with 30 second increments, which can be used for a double round day and is so at many tournaments including the Saturday double round at the London Classic FIDE Open. Other than to facilitate a double round day, I don't see the logic of choosing this move rate for the British as opposed to the 4NCL rate of 40/100 + 50 with increment,<

In my opinion, 90/40 + 30 + 30 second increments is too dangerous for two rounds per day. Say you start at 10am and 4pm, the percentage probabiliy of the first game running too close to the second is too great. Thus 2 rounds per day, settle on 90 for all + 30 seconds per move.

The 4NCL 40/100 + 50 with increment seemed OK for one round per day. BUT, I now wonder for players of considerable mature years after my experience in March at the 4NCL. It happened to me after 5 hours play. Thus stick to 90/40 + 30 + 30 second increments which is very widely used.

Roger de Coverly

Post by Roger de Coverly » Thu May 26, 2016 1:56 pm

Stewart Reuben wrote: In my opinion, 90/40 + 30 + 30 second increments is too dangerous for two rounds per day. Say you start at 10am and 4pm, the percentage probabiliy of the first game running too close to the second is too great. Thus 2 rounds per day, settle on 90 for all + 30 seconds per move.
The e2e4 tournaments use 90 30 with start times of 10 am and 3 pm. It's not unknown for games to overrun. Pairings are done using software, so can be available within minutes of the last game to finish being completed. Those involved in late finishing games are given the option of a late start to the afternoon round. I don't believe it has created any disputes.

LawrenceCooper

Post by LawrenceCooper » Thu May 26, 2016 2:35 pm

NickFaulks wrote:
Michael Flatt wrote: Lee Bullock's idea of doubling up the early rounds rather than compressing the later rounds seems worth pursuing. It is in the nature of Swiss Events that results in the later rounds are more critical in determining the prizewinners.
This is inseparable from the question of time controls. It is difficult to find a single time control that is suitable for both one and two rounds per day. If you are wedded to 30 second increments, then in my opinion it becomes impossible.
Space might also be an issue at some venues as there are a number of events taking place in the morning.

Stewart Reuben

Post by Stewart Reuben » Thu May 26, 2016 2:36 pm

I am sure the e2e4 format would not meet with universal support for the British. People take preparation between rounds much too seriously.
I have the ambition to have a an 8 day Swiss. With 2 rounds played each day and one rest day. One game with White and one with Black against the same opponent on the same day. Thus the pairings would be based only on score and rating, not colour. 14 games in total against 7 opponents.
That might become a highly successful system, but be totally inappropriate for the British.

Roger de Coverly

Post by Roger de Coverly » Mon Jul 04, 2016 5:56 pm

Players at last weekend's North Wales Open in Llandudno were given advance information that the location of the tournament "Venue Cymru" would be hosting the 2017 British Championship Congress. Dates given were Friday 28th July to Sunday 6th August 2017.

Venue Cymru is a Conference Centre, Theatre and Arena complex in Llandudno opened in 2007. It's on the seafront and there are numerous hotels within level walking distance. There's a retail park inland on the other side of the car park and it's about a ten minute level walk to the centre of town. Surrounding streets have unrestricted parking away from the town centre.

The North Wales Open next year will also be at that venue on June 30th, July 1st and 2nd.

Andrew Zigmond

Post by Andrew Zigmond » Mon Jul 04, 2016 7:06 pm

If this is confirmed I'm already looking forward to it (with one caveat which I'll come to). From a personal point of view Llandudno seems to be easily accessible (Harrogate - Leeds - Manchester Piccadilly followed by a two hour run down to Llandudno). I did have a look at what booking.com had to offer but they've not got dates for August 2017 yet which is very inconsiderate of them. I have fond memories of being able to stay right by the coast at Aberystwyth and I might be able to do so again.

I've just realised that while I appreciate fully the reason for the changed schedule my usual travel down on the Wednesday, spend a day sight seeing then play the weekender won't work as well. I might see if the accommodation is cheap enough to squash in weekender and U140 through the week.

EDIT - typing error corrected.
Last edited by Andrew Zigmond on Wed Jul 06, 2016 4:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Controller - Yorkshire League
Chairman - Harrogate Chess Club
All views expressed entirely my own

MartinCarpenter

Post by MartinCarpenter » Mon Jul 04, 2016 8:28 pm

Tons of accommodation up/down that bit of coast - the train connects quite a lot of places in of course - although it'll be fairly busy in late July/August. Llandudno specifically really is brilliantly placed geographically.

Gives everyone a year to work out how to pronounce it :)
(Although Llandudno really isn't very hard by Welsh standards.).

Mick Norris

Post by Mick Norris » Mon Jul 04, 2016 8:33 pm

MartinCarpenter wrote:Tons of accommodation up/down that bit of coast - the train connects quite a lot of places in of course - although it'll be fairly busy in late July/August. Llandudno specifically really is brilliantly placed geographically
Yes lots of beautiful places to see round there
Any postings on here represent my personal views

Jon Mahony

Post by Jon Mahony » Tue Jul 05, 2016 2:11 pm

Andrew Zigmond wrote:If this is confirmed I'm already looking forward to it (with one caveat which I'll come to). From a personally point of view Llandudno seems to be easily accessible (Harrogate - Leeds - Manchester Piccadilly followed by a two hour run down to Llandudno). I did have a look at what booking.com had to offer but they've not got dates for August 2017 yet which is very inconsiderate of them. I have fond memories of being able to stay right by the coast at Aberystwyth and I might be able to do so again.

I've just realised that while I appreciate fully the reason for the changed schedule my usual travel down on the Wednesday, spend a day sight seeing then play the weekender won't work as well. I might see if the accommodation is cheap enough to squash in weekender and U140 through the week.
Yes I think that'll be one for me too, as soon as the new annual leave is out next Feb I shall be pouncing and booking up both weeks, with a view to cancelling one if I decide I aren't playing the full 2 weeks.
"When you see a good move, look for a better one!" - Lasker

Mick Norris

Post by Mick Norris » Tue Jul 05, 2016 3:05 pm

Manchester Piccadilly is about 2 hours 10 min from Llandudno by train, but a very picturesque journey I imagine (only driven there not been by train)
Any postings on here represent my personal views

Alan Walton

Post by Alan Walton » Tue Jul 05, 2016 3:16 pm

Mick Norris wrote:Manchester Piccadilly is about 2 hours 10 min from Llandudno by train, but a very picturesque journey I imagine (only driven there not been by train)
I used to use this train quite alot going to university at Bangor; unfortunately the picturesque part of the journey is after Llandudno Junction (where you change for Llandudno); otherwise you get the sights of Rhyl and all the factories along the north coast outside Chester

Roger de Coverly

Post by Roger de Coverly » Tue Jul 05, 2016 3:54 pm

Jon Mahony wrote: I shall be pouncing and booking up both weeks, with a view to cancelling one if I decide I aren't playing the full 2 weeks.
Didn't you notice the announcement earlier this year? The British in 2017 has been cut down to 9 or perhaps 10 days.