What should happen in this situation?

Discuss anything you like about chess related matters in this forum.
Mick Norris

Re: What should happen in this situation?

Post by Mick Norris » Thu May 19, 2016 2:28 pm

David Williams wrote:Don't you just hate it when minor incidents escalate into foul language, enquiries, internal disputes and respected individuals parting company with their club.
I do hate it when serious incidents and issues are swept under the carpet or ignored by people, but that's chess for you
Any postings on here represent my personal views

Richard Bates

Post by Richard Bates » Thu May 19, 2016 7:27 pm

NickFaulks wrote:
Richard Bates wrote:For a contrary view on the whole thing, frankly I don't see why reminding somebody to press their clock should be considered cheating anyway...
Just so we know, where do you stand on saying to a teammate "your queen's en prise"?

edit : or "your scoresheet's wrong, you've only played 29 moves"?
1) Clear cheating
2) Grey area. Not sure.

David Williams

Post by David Williams » Thu May 19, 2016 9:03 pm

Richard Bates wrote:For a contrary view on the whole thing, frankly I don't see why reminding somebody to press their clock should be considered cheating anyway...
I'm guessing you wouldn't do it yourself.

Andy Ward

Post by Andy Ward » Sat May 21, 2016 12:46 am

David Blower wrote:Player A and Player B are playing chess. Player B makes his move, but does not press his clock.

A teammate of player B watching the game, tells player B that he should press his clock after his move.

Player A now claims the game due to assistance from a teammate.

If you are an arbiter in this situation what would you do?
Play not according to technicalities but the spirit of the game, and I don't think your actions really fit that description. I saw a recent league cup final between one club and another 2 divisions lower. The lower side had a mobile phone ring off 3 times during play, and another repeatedly moved the pieces with one hands and pressed his clock with another (yes, the same player in a previous post of mine). On neither board did the higher team claim defaults, and they went on to draw one game and lose the other, losing the title with it. Why, because they wanted to win over the board and not by a technicality.

I feel you should have done likewise.