Tournament play and 'so-called bio-rhythms'

Discuss anything you like about chess related matters in this forum.
David Robertson

Re: Tournament play and 'so-called bio-rhythms'

Post by David Robertson » Sat May 21, 2016 9:19 pm

Another blokey thread. Anyone giving any thought to how it is for women? Hhmm, I didn't think so.

MartinCarpenter

Post by MartinCarpenter » Sat May 21, 2016 11:15 pm

Hating/liking mornings is gender neutral surely?
(Prepared to be corrected if there some subtle difference :))

Stewart Reuben

Post by Stewart Reuben » Sat May 21, 2016 11:56 pm

Thn why not start every round at 9am? Or perhaps the first in the afternoon to allow people to get there and then rounds 2-9 in the morning. That wiould interfere with the biorhythms only for Round 1 and 2, rather than round 9.
Commonly players say they prefer to play in the afternoon. Thus round 9 in the morning to fit in the prizegiving, to enable the organisers to pack everything away and the players to travel.
There is the alternative of playing two rounds on some days. e.g. 1, 2, 2, 2, 2. Or
1, 2, 1, 2, 1, 1, 1. What amazes me is that some idiot organisers then choose the 1 round per day at 2pm and the 2 rounds per day at 10am and 4pm. That satisfyingly confuses the biorhythms thoroughly.

Quite a number of German tournaments are played in the morning, particularly in the old East Germany. This is definitely preferred by the organisers for senior events. One reason is that there is time for sightseeing in the afternoon and preparation in the evening.

There is at least one British school for teenagers that starts lessons in the afternoon because the biorhythms of the students favour that. It is well-known that teenagers are late-sleepers.

In Spanish-speaking events they often have play in the evening and, guess what, the last round in the morning. Karpov preferred play starting at 5pm.

When I used to play poker in Vegas, I would arrive from Britain Monday. Tuesday and Wednesday do nothing. Thursday start playing seriously.

MJMcCready

Post by MJMcCready » Sun May 22, 2016 10:03 am

David Robertson wrote:Another blokey thread. Anyone giving any thought to how it is for women? Hhmm, I didn't think so.
How is it a blokey thread? There is no mention of gender difference.

Richard James

Post by Richard James » Sun May 22, 2016 10:13 am

Stewart Reuben wrote: There is at least one British school for teenagers that starts lessons in the afternoon because the biorhythms of the students favour that. It is well-known that teenagers are late-sleepers.
Yes, Hampton Court House.

I'm their chess consultant, and have been since the school opened. I'm currently there doing private tuition after school two afternoons a week.

Richard Bates

Post by Richard Bates » Sun May 22, 2016 12:24 pm

MartinCarpenter wrote:Hating/liking mornings is gender neutral surely?
(Prepared to be corrected if there some subtle difference :))
I would tentatively speculate that the point being made is that women have enough scientifically established, and yet largely undiscussed, issues resulting from an internal body clock/calendar that pages of discussion about the pseudo scientific problems of men are a bit incongruous.

On the flip side probably better this than pages of exclusively men launching into uninformed debate about "women's problems"!

NickFaulks

Post by NickFaulks » Mon May 23, 2016 12:33 pm

Looks like David Howell had bio-rhythm trouble this morning.
If you want a picture of the future, imagine a QR code stamped on a human face — forever.