Chessbase 12 question

Discuss anything you like about chess related matters in this forum.
LawrenceCooper

Chessbase 12 question

Post by LawrenceCooper » Sat Jun 04, 2016 11:14 am

I'm sure that the answer will be glaringly obvious to many people but does anyone know why when I'm printing a game or analysis from Chessbase 12 that pieces are showing on diagrams as letters and not symbols? :oops: When I use "position set up" the pieces are also shown as letters and yet when I input or view games they show as normal symbols. Better still, does anyone know what I can do to stop it happening? :?

Roger de Coverly

Re: Chessbase 12 question

Post by Roger de Coverly » Sat Jun 04, 2016 1:04 pm

LawrenceCooper wrote:but does anyone know why when I'm printing a game or analysis from Chessbase 12 that pieces are showing on diagrams as letters and not symbols
There are a number of background tricks associated with getting diagrams. One of them is using special fonts to replace letters with chess figurines. So it's sometimes necessary to have chess fonts installed. There used to be a Windows utility which would display the various installed fonts and what they look like. It's probably still there, only buried deeply.

Perhaps rerunning the Chessbase or Fritz installation would repair matters.

LawrenceCooper

Post by LawrenceCooper » Sat Jun 04, 2016 1:18 pm

Roger de Coverly wrote:
LawrenceCooper wrote:but does anyone know why when I'm printing a game or analysis from Chessbase 12 that pieces are showing on diagrams as letters and not symbols
There are a number of background tricks associated with getting diagrams. One of them is using special fonts to replace letters with chess figurines. So it's sometimes necessary to have chess fonts installed. There used to be a Windows utility which would display the various installed fonts and what they look like. It's probably still there, only buried deeply.

Perhaps rerunning the Chessbase or Fritz installation would repair matters.
Thanks, it has only recently started to happen so I obviously accidentally did something to change it. It also occurs in "position set-up" but despite finding various plausible solutions nothing seems to work yet. I do have Chessbase 12 on another computer which doesn't have this problem but it won't recognise my printer without inserting the cd and it doesn't have a cd drive or portable disc drive that works :roll:

Ian Kingston

Post by Ian Kingston » Sat Jun 04, 2016 2:36 pm

It sounds like one or more of the ChessBase fonts has gone missing or you've inadvertently changed the fonts used for printing. In the Page Setup dialog (with a game window open, choose File > Print > Page Setup) choose the Fonts tab. The Notation option should have a font name beginning 'FigurineCB', and the DIagrams option should show something beginning 'DiagramTT'. If you can reset those options you should be OK. If you can't find the fonts, you'll need to reinstall them.

If neither of those works, then I'm stumped.