What makes a tournament international?

Discuss anything you like about chess related matters in this forum.
soheil_hooshdaran

Post by soheil_hooshdaran » Thu Jun 09, 2016 5:48 am

Hi
Do I have to invite foreign players?

Sean Hewitt

Re: What makes a tournament international?

Post by Sean Hewitt » Thu Jun 09, 2016 7:25 am

soheil_hooshdaran wrote:Hi
Yes.

soheil_hooshdaran

Post by soheil_hooshdaran » Thu Jun 09, 2016 9:20 am

Do they need to be invited or does it suffice that they are present at the event? How many foreign foreign players need to be present?
And do they need to be registered at their federation?

John McKenna

Post by John McKenna » Thu Jun 09, 2016 9:30 am

Two big international tournaments have taken place in Iran this year -

http://en.chessbase.com/post/chess-in-a ... road-oasis

http://en.chessbase.com/post/2016-khaza ... 58-players

Did you consider going to either and getting the answers you are seeking, straight from the horse's mouth, in your own language?

soheil_hooshdaran

Post by soheil_hooshdaran » Thu Jun 09, 2016 4:08 pm

John McKenna wrote:Two big international tournaments have taken place in Iran this year -

http://en.chessbase.com/post/chess-in-a ... road-oasis

http://en.chessbase.com/post/2016-khaza ... 58-players

Did you consider going to either and getting the answers you are seeking, straight from the horse's mouth, in your own language?
I was in the US then, but they have lots of money, and they are not organizers.
I wanna see if I can get some foreign student to play in the event just to make it international.
I remember years ago there were. just a few foreigners at those events.

IM Jack Rudd

Post by IM Jack Rudd » Thu Jun 09, 2016 4:11 pm

Are you trying to organize a title-norm tournament?

If the answer is no, then you don't particularly need foreigners - the tournament can still be rated even if everyone is from the same country.

If the answer is yes, then you need foreigners and titled players. It might be an idea to solve both problems at once by inviting foreign GMs.

Keith Arkell

Post by Keith Arkell » Thu Jun 09, 2016 5:40 pm

soheil_hooshdaran wrote:Hi
This is a question I have also mused over. I mean, compare these two hypothetical events:

1) A 5 round FIDE rated weekend Open in which there are a sprinkling of players who aren't from the host nation.

2) A 9 round FIDE rated Open, with one game per day, played over 9 days. By chance all entrants are from the host nation.

In neither case are any players specially invited. For example, perhaps, instead, the carrot is a good prize fund.

Which of these, if any, are 'International'? My instincts have always said number 2 is and number 1 is not. This isn't based on any logical reasoning. It was always 'weekenders' or 'Internationals', the latter being the longer ones, and those you travelled abroad to play in.

I've never been sure how to categorise the Paignton Premier, for example. It is a week long 7 rounder, open to all. It used to only be ECF graded but then at some point they started FIDE rating it.

Roger de Coverly

Post by Roger de Coverly » Thu Jun 09, 2016 5:54 pm

Keith Arkell wrote: Which of these, if any, are 'International'?
#

I wondered if Soheil was using "international" as a proxy for FIDE rated. If it's the latter then it need to satisfy a check list of whatever requirements the Iranian Federation and FIDE impose as a condition of rating it.

Another anomaly is the Bunratty Open. This isn't FIDE rated, but has a world renown far greater than a weekend tournament in the west of Ireland.

The Guernsey tournament is like Paignton a seven round affair. This styles itself as the Guernsey International Chess Festival and has a long history of players from the Netherlands and elsewhere taking part as well as those from the British Isles. It's now FIDE rated, but I think described itself as International even before FIDE rating restrictions were relaxed. I'm thinking back to the period when FIDE rated meant players of 2200 and above and at least 9 rounds.

LawrenceCooper

Post by LawrenceCooper » Thu Jun 09, 2016 6:12 pm

You could probably have a titled tournament which satisfies all the criteria involving players all from the same club, or at least from the same 4NCL team.

soheil_hooshdaran

Post by soheil_hooshdaran » Sat Jun 11, 2016 1:25 am

IM Jack Rudd wrote:Are you trying to organize a title-norm tournament?

If the answer is no, then you don't particularly need foreigners - the tournament can still be rated even if everyone is from the same country.

If the answer is yes, then you need foreigners and titled players. It might be an idea to solve both problems at once by inviting foreign GMs.
I don't know. Mr Reuben said that if it is to count towards an IO title, it must be an international event. Not sure what he meant by "international"

Roger de Coverly

Post by Roger de Coverly » Sat Jun 11, 2016 9:55 am

soheil_hooshdaran wrote: I don't know. Mr Reuben said that if it is to count towards an IO title, it must be an international event. Not sure what he meant by "international"
FIDE's regulations for Organiser titles are
https://www.fide.com/component/handbook ... w=category

The lower level title requires attending seminars and passing an exam, rather more than it does actually running anything.
With effect from January 15th 2012, there will be no more direct application for the title of International Organizer. All candidates shall be required to attend and pass an examination in the Seminar for Organizers. The awarding of the title through exams should be combined with some minimum experience.
There might be an implicit requirement that "minimum experience" requires the events to be FIDE rated.

Ian Thompson

Post by Ian Thompson » Sat Jun 11, 2016 10:00 am

soheil_hooshdaran wrote:
IM Jack Rudd wrote:Are you trying to organize a title-norm tournament?

I don't know. Mr Reuben said that if it is to count towards an IO title, it must be an international event. Not sure what he meant by "international"
Have you read the FIDE regulations on the subject? If not, why not? The regulations don't say a tournament has to be "international" to count, they say it has to be "titled". What that means is unclear, because it doesn't appear to be defined anywhere.

NickFaulks

Post by NickFaulks » Sat Jun 11, 2016 10:52 am

A tournament is international if it is not stated in the entry form that foreigners may not play. If you wish to emphasise that, put the word "international" somewhere in the title.
If you want a picture of the future, imagine a QR code stamped on a human face — forever.