Copyright

Discuss anything you like about chess related matters in this forum.
soheil_hooshdaran

Copyright

Post by soheil_hooshdaran » Mon Jul 18, 2016 12:40 pm

Hi
Is it infringement of Copyright to use examples or games in books or megazines for our training classes?

Roger Lancaster

Re: Copyright

Post by Roger Lancaster » Mon Jul 18, 2016 2:08 pm

This has been tested and I think the answer is no, the moves themselves are not subject to copyright, but annotations etc by the players and/or others may well be. (But, in any case, pursuing a legal action for breach of copyright in a foreign court is likely to be very expensive and in all likelihood non-productive).

soheil_hooshdaran

Post by soheil_hooshdaran » Mon Jul 18, 2016 2:42 pm

Roger Lancaster wrote: pursuing a legal action for breach of copyright in a foreign court is likely to be very expensive and in all likelihood non-productive.
If the only way of getting permission from an author is to accept the authority of a foreign court, I will accept it.

Roger Lancaster

Post by Roger Lancaster » Mon Jul 18, 2016 4:49 pm

Soheil, I believe you are in Iran. The point I was trying to make was that, realistically, no-one from (for example) England will want to bring a legal case across national boundaries unless they have more money than sense. The practical answer if you are using someone else's annotations etc is, in my experience, to acknowledge that these are the thoughts of that person. Where difficulties have arisen is where Mr A repeats Mr B's analyses in a manner which suggests they originated with Mr A.

soheil_hooshdaran

Post by soheil_hooshdaran » Mon Jul 18, 2016 9:26 pm

Roger Lancaster wrote:Soheil, I believe you are in Iran. The point I was trying to make was that, realistically, no-one from (for example) England will want to bring a legal case across national boundaries unless they have more money than sense.

I meant, what if I bring the case to their country?
The practical answer if you are using someone else's annotations etc is, in my experience, to acknowledge that these are the thoughts of that person. Where difficulties have arisen is where Mr A repeats Mr B's analyses in a manner which suggests they originated with Mr A.
That quoting the source was always a norm.

Roger Lancaster

Post by Roger Lancaster » Tue Jul 19, 2016 8:28 am

Sorry if I misunderstood you but I assumed your "training classes" were within Iran. But the short answer, as I've already said, is to acknowledge sources - that's standard practice everywhere, not just in chess circles.

soheil_hooshdaran

Post by soheil_hooshdaran » Tue Jul 19, 2016 11:42 am

Yes my training classes are within Iran, but I am not about to neglect an author's intellectual rights to his own work

Ian Thompson

Post by Ian Thompson » Tue Jul 19, 2016 6:45 pm

soheil_hooshdaran wrote:Hi
Is it infringement of Copyright to use examples or games in books or megazines for our training classes?
The answer, I think, depends on what you intend to do.

If you were to bring a copy of the book to the class and discuss it with the students, perhaps demonstrating the games and analyses on a demonstration board, that would be fine.

On the other hand, if you were to copy large parts of the book and give the copies to your students to use during the class that would breach copyright.