Broadcasting plans for the world championship 2016

Discuss anything you like about chess related matters in this forum.
Paolo Casaschi

Broadcasting plans for the world championship 2016

Post by Paolo Casaschi » Wed Sep 14, 2016 9:38 am

At a press conference in Baku Agon outlined some details about their broadcasting plans for the world championship 2016. People that debated the quality of the broadcast at the candidates might find the press conference interesting (just skip the first 7 minutes or so with the speech of the Russian sponsor).

Some of the features are described already on the world chess website, where you can already subscribe to their pay per view offer.

Dewi Jones

Re: Broadcasting plans for the world championship 2016

Post by Dewi Jones » Fri Sep 16, 2016 9:23 am

Jesus, this will be terrible, but even putting that aside, if they are going to do the press conference and presentation in English why not get a native English speaker to make the presentation. If not, then do the presentation in the presenters language with a translation for thicko journalists. Every single time I see a chess press conference it's an embarassing stumble through some diconnected sentences.

Dewi Jones

Post by Dewi Jones » Fri Sep 16, 2016 9:30 am

How may tines can one man say "it's exciting" to a sea of goldfish faces and obtain no reaction whatsoever before he dies of embarassment?

MJMcCready

Post by MJMcCready » Fri Sep 16, 2016 12:14 pm

There certainly is huge room for improvement. Apart from the fact that some questions are difficult to understand because of the poor level of English they are expressed in, sometimes the journalist doesn't know very much about chess and asks a question that doesn't really have an answer. I seem to remember at the last world championship match an Indian journalist asked Magnus why an illness clause had been inserted into the contract and asked for an explanation, to which Magnus simply said he would not discuss the contract.

IanCalvert

Post by IanCalvert » Fri Sep 16, 2016 1:00 pm

I thought the EG Capital sponsor speech was thoughtful and impressive... Maybe he should stand for FIDE President??

I must declare an interest as a mathematician, chess player and a long-standing respector of the best of investment bankers, Russian or otherwise

Richard Bates

Post by Richard Bates » Sat Sep 17, 2016 11:32 pm

IanCalvert wrote:I thought the EG Capital sponsor speech was thoughtful and impressive... Maybe he should stand for FIDE President??

I must declare an interest as a mathematician, chess player and a long-standing respector of the best of investment bankers, Russian or otherwise
He appeared to have been told that the last time the World Championship was in New York was in 1990. Does that mean that FIDE still don't recognise the PCA matches?

Kevin O'Rourke

Post by Kevin O'Rourke » Wed Sep 21, 2016 4:55 pm

bring back channel 4 or BBC with Mr Snow :-)