London Chess Classic FIDE Open

Discuss anything you like about chess related matters in this forum.
Tim Harding

Re: London Chess Classic FIDE Open

Post by Tim Harding » Fri Dec 16, 2016 10:30 pm

John McKenna wrote: My money, if I was a betting man, would all be on Bacrot to be the ultimate winner of the Open, by the way.
Bacrot played the Scotch Four Knights and offered a draw at move 5 which Gupta accepted. This enabled Sebastien Maze to finish joint first on 7 (impressive 5/5 finish after losing to Keith Arkell) and Gupta tied 3rd-9th with 6.5.

From Gupta's point of view, I suppose refusing the draw with Black against such an experienced opponent would be much too big a risk and he can be satisfied with a decent prize to conclude a good year, especially considering he won Reykjavik outright. Probably his main regret for 2016 would have been missing the Baku Olympiad; I'm not sure why he didn't go (illness?). His round 3 loss to Hector cost him here.

I also note that Hawkins finished with four straight wins after his double loss in the middle of the event.
Tim Harding
Historian and FIDE Arbiter

Author of 'Steinitz in London,' British Chess Literature to 1914', 'Joseph Henry Blackburne: A Chess Biography', and 'Eminent Victorian Chess Players'
http://www.chessmail.com

Leonard Barden

Post by Leonard Barden » Fri Dec 16, 2016 10:57 pm

The best English performance in the Fide Open was clearly by Mark Hebden, 6.5/9 and a 2554 performance at age 58. Hawkins also had 6.5/9 but only a 2439 TPR. Several of the English players faded in the closing rounds.

John McKenna

Post by John McKenna » Sat Dec 17, 2016 11:46 am

"Bacrot played the Scotch Four Knights and offered a draw at move 5 which Gupta accepted. This enabled Sebastien Maze to finish joint first on 7 (impressive 5/5 finish after losing to Keith Arkell)... " (Tim Harding, above)

Leonard, with the greatest of respect, that's France 2, England 1, thanks to Keith.

Our best at the Classic were frying bigger fish but, apart from a good showing from well-respected forumite, IM Richard Bates, where were the young lions?

Vet GMs Mark Hebden & Keith Arkell are still leading the charge, carrying the English standard, into battle in the Open fields.