Room rate per week for the room that you play in

Discuss anything you like about chess related matters in this forum.
Nick Grey

Re: Room rate per week for the room that you play in

Post by Nick Grey » Tue Jan 17, 2017 9:54 pm

We were getting no new members - got more by moving back to Kingston - & able to run a second team.
It is quicker for me to get from my house to Kingston & back than Asda because public transport is better & less of a walk (1 mile).

Quaker hall was excellent for lighting & running multiple teams but then again commercial pressure for shops & housing.

Only advantage to me was the ability to do late night food shopping. And that we managed to increase club funds that we knew we would have to pay for rent when we moved.

Anyway hope to see you in Kingston next week if you are in the Surbiton team.

Kevin Thurlow

Re: Room rate per week for the room that you play in

Post by Kevin Thurlow » Wed Jan 18, 2017 10:45 am

"Nick Grey wrote:
(except when we were at a shopping centre on A3 Roehampton)

I thought that was a great venue. Spacious, good lighting, free parking, bus stop outside, nobody hustling you to leave. Shame you abandoned it."

I guess you didn't play in the canteen area then, where shoppers wandered in to make loud phone calls? I assume that room was used in an emergency.

Admittedly, it was helpful to do shopping while there!

Redhill has a good venue. It's spacious, well-lit, with carpet (probably wasted on some chess players!), water heater, so tea and coffee are freely available. Car parking is free and the railway station is nearby. I hope visitors aren't disturbed by the Scottish Country Dancing that happens on the ground floor - it would be worse if they were above us. We played on a different day a couple of times and found the Line Dancers were much more noisy. I cannot remember what we pay, but the Church gives us a good rate as we have been there a long time, and haven't been troublesome. Falling membership does make it relatively expensive though. There's a Wetherspoons a couple of minutes' walk away.

In the dim distant past, LP Rees was an estate agent in Redhill, and when he moved to new offices, he designed them so that they could be used for the chess club. He insisted this was free, the club insisted on paying, so the club gave him a suitable fee (so it would be in the accounts), and then exactly the same sum was donated by Mr Rees every year.