Chess Book Idea

Discuss anything you like about chess related matters in this forum.
Joshua Gibbs

Chess Book Idea

Post by Joshua Gibbs » Mon Feb 20, 2017 3:50 pm

Ive had an idea for a chess book or software -

tactics puzzles organised by organised by openings and pawn structures

as far as I am aware noone has ever done that

Angus French

Re: Chess Book Idea

Post by Angus French » Mon Feb 20, 2017 3:57 pm

Gennady Nesis wrote a series of books: Tactics in the Sicilian / French / King's Indian / Grunfeld. Maybe others.

John Moore

Post by John Moore » Mon Feb 20, 2017 5:00 pm

Gennady Efimovich Nesis was one time Correspondence Chess World Champion. As some wit remarked at the time, they fully expected the next Russian Correspondence Champion to be called E X Odus and so on and so forth.

Paul Dargan

Post by Paul Dargan » Mon Feb 20, 2017 5:05 pm

For some reason I thought Tactics in the Grunfeld was by Rowson?? but prepared to be wrong as I play neither the Grunfeld or d4

Paul

Geoff Chandler

Post by Geoff Chandler » Mon Feb 20, 2017 6:09 pm

'Sacrifices in the Sicilian ' by David Levy may have been the first in this field. (good book).

https://www.amazon.com/Sacrifices-Sicil ... 4871878112

Coming up with a new idea for a chess book is difficult.

How about a book called 'New Ideas for Chess Books.'

JustinHorton

Post by JustinHorton » Mon Feb 20, 2017 6:46 pm

There's also Minev's French Defense: New and Forgotten Ideas which is essentially along these lines.
"Do you play chess?"
"Yes, but I prefer a game with a better chance of cheating."

lostontime.blogspot.com

Matt Fletcher

Post by Matt Fletcher » Mon Feb 20, 2017 10:02 pm

I had a chess book idea a couple of years back that I don't think I've ever seen in quite this form - I don't think I've mentioned it on the forum before (but please accept my apologies if I'm repeating myself).

My thought was that I'm graded somewhere round 180, so typically when I play people 190-200, I find that if I play as well as I possibly can I'll get a draw, whereas if I put a foot wrong I'll lose. But there are people graded 210-220 who do the same to the 190+ guys, and people above them, etc - as well as people at 160-odd who struggle against players of my level, and so on down.

So my idea for a book, or maybe video series, was to play series of short matches (probably 3 games, with expected score maybe 2-1 to the stronger player) between people who are one 'level' apart (say 15-20 ECF), noting down in detail their ideas as they play. The book would then be edited highlights of their thoughts, with the best of the 3 games also analysed + annotated by a strong player, key points / tactics from the other games noted and referenced, and some conclusions drawn as to where the 'lower-rung' player needs to focus to build him/herself up to the next level. My thought was that the lowest 'level' might be something like 100 (possibly slightly higher) and moving up to IM standard, or even higher, with a chapter (or a video) for each level.

Does anything like this exist? (Chess master vs Chess amateur and Grandmaster vs Amateur are what I'm aware of, and neither of them are quite this). I suspect it would be very hard to set it up properly and quite a lot of work for a lot of people which may be why it hasn't been done.

Richard James

Post by Richard James » Mon Feb 20, 2017 10:19 pm

John Moore wrote:Gennady Efimovich Nesis was one time Correspondence Chess World Champion. As some wit remarked at the time, they fully expected the next Russian Correspondence Champion to be called E X Odus and so on and so forth.
I think that was me, in Addicts' Corner, although I probably wasn't alone.

John Moore

Post by John Moore » Tue Feb 21, 2017 7:21 am

Ah Richard - now you have jogged my memory, I am sure that you are right and I rather regret "some wit"!

Mark Ashley

Post by Mark Ashley » Tue Feb 21, 2017 7:33 pm

Joshua Gibbs wrote:Ive had an idea for a chess book or software -

tactics puzzles organised by organised by openings and pawn structures

as far as I am aware noone has ever done that
In addition to those already mentioned, New in Chess did a series of books titled Tactics in the opening, each edition covering specific openings.

Also, Joel Johnson I think has self published some books on pawn structures and the tactics flowing from them (Formation attacks)