An interesting final position in a game

Discuss anything you like about chess related matters in this forum.
Robert Stokes

An interesting final position in a game

Post by Robert Stokes » Tue Feb 21, 2017 10:43 am

This thread is a postscript to my one entitled "Winning on time". In that thread I described a game that I had won on time despite having a clearly poorer position. I also said that had my opponent offered a draw shortly before the end I would have accepted it. Having looked at the final position when my opponent's flag fell I think his last move was a mistake and I may then have won unless he was very careful.

I, playing white, had pawns on h3 and h7, rook on f7 and king on g4.
My opponent playing black, had pawns on f4 and g5, rook on h4, bishop on f8 and king on d6.

Black had just played 78 . . . R h6 - h4+. (I think he should have played B f8 - e7 to secure his position.) My obvious reply is 79 K x g5. His rook can't give check on g4 and so must play 79 . . . , R x h3 otherwise the king can take it. There then logically follows (to my mind) 80 R x f8, R x h7 81 R x f4 and I hope I am correct in saying that a draw would then be inevitable.

However! I think it possible that a player graded about 110 would play 79 . . . , B e7 with the triple intention of securing the bishop, giving check, and preventing my king taking his rook on g4. I would then play 80 R x e7. If he takes my rook, I take his, and my pawn queens next move. If he does not take my rook, he must play 80 . . ., R x h3 otherwise he loses it. I would then play 81 K f6 securing my rook, with no check available on f3, and getting my king nearer to the action. A draw may still result but it may not.

In view of this possibility i suggest that it would be wrong for an arbiter to declare it a draw. Do you agree?

Roger de Coverly

Re: An interesting final position in a game

Post by Roger de Coverly » Tue Feb 21, 2017 11:06 am

Robert Stokes wrote: I, playing white, had pawns on h3 and h7, rook on f7 and king on g4.
My opponent playing black, had pawns on f4 and g5, rook on h4, bishop on f8 and king on d6.

If Black had earlier made an Appendix G claim and his flag fell in that exact position, you would be asking the arbiter to make a slightly difficult decision. Given that it's eminently possible for White to win by normal means ( the blunder line you analyse for instance), I would expect the win to be awarded. To get the draw, the line with the liquidation would have to be played over the board with the flag still standing.

Kevin Thurlow

Re: An interesting final position in a game

Post by Kevin Thurlow » Tue Feb 21, 2017 11:23 am

Black cannot make a draw claim in that position as it's not his move!

With the rook on h6, I would tell the players to carry on as it should clarify itself fairly quickly. Appendix G5 claims are not adjudications.