9 World Championships...

Discuss anything you like about chess related matters in this forum.
Steven DuCharme

9 World Championships...

Post by Steven DuCharme » Thu Mar 02, 2017 2:10 pm

Classic-Rapid-Blitz x Men-Women-All Thoughts?
I float like a pawn island and sting like an ignored knight :mrgreen:

Roger de Coverly

Re: 9 World Championships...

Post by Roger de Coverly » Thu Mar 02, 2017 2:16 pm

Steven DuCharme wrote:Classic-Rapid-Blitz x Men-Women-All Thoughts?
Until such time as the standard of play and the number of potential participants is about the same as for a women only event as a men only event, there would seem little point in separate "men" and "all" competitions.

Stewart Reuben

Post by Stewart Reuben » Sat Mar 04, 2017 1:41 am

I have never heard of a men's only chess event taking place.
Of course there have been many events where only men participated But never won where only men could enter.

LawrenceCooper

Post by LawrenceCooper » Sat Mar 04, 2017 7:59 am

Stewart Reuben wrote:I have never heard of a men's only chess event taking place.
Of course there have been many events where only men participated But never won where only men could enter.
I would be surprised if every event that has a girls/women's section has had an open and not a men's event alongside.

Stewart Reuben

Post by Stewart Reuben » Sat Mar 04, 2017 10:37 am

Lawrence >
I would be surprised if every event that has a girls/women's section has had an open and not a men's event alongside.

You could be right. But find an example.
Remember the best example, where Judit Polgar won the World BOYS U14 Chess Championship. Or the Men's Olympiad, where women played from the very first one. It took some convincing to change the name to the Olympiad. I wouldn't have minded the Open Olympiad, although that could also be the cause of a misunderstanding.
They used to speak of a woman attaining the men's grandmaster title. They no longer do so.
1984 Maia Chiburdanidze was asked, 'Do you like playing in men's events?'
You will understand better than most the question: Does the WGM title still serve a useful purpose?

Steven DuCharme asked, I think, how many different World Championships there are:
Standardplay
Rapid
Blitz
50+
65+
U8, U10, U12, U14, U16, U18, U20
World Team
World 50+ team, World 65+ team
World Students
World Amateur, there are different sections now and it is confusing. I started it with U2200 or unrated.
There is no official bullet chess championship.
I don't think there is an offficial World online championship.
There could be a World Blindfold Championship, open to both sighted and unsighted players.
Various championships for the disabled. Blind, deaf (the IOC doesn't have that one), IPCA and disabled.
Many of these have separate women's events. A disabled woman 50+, U2200 could hold 13 World Championship titles simultaneously.
The Olympiad is a federation WC, in all but name.

I expect I have forgotten some.