Penalties for mobile phone cheating

Discuss anything you like about chess related matters in this forum.
Chris Rice

Penalties for mobile phone cheating

Post by Chris Rice » Tue Mar 28, 2017 11:01 am

The St Petersburg Championships are going on at the moment which has reached its final round, round 11. However, in Round 10 the tournament was marred by a scandal. It appeared that from the start, the participants were suspicious of Dmitry Fraiman, who brilliantly defeated Sergei Lobanov and Yevgeny Levin. There was a high match up rate with the first line of Stockfish 8. In February 2017 he had shared the second place in tournament "C" of the Moscow Open.

The tournament arbiter, Andrei Yegorov, began to follow the participant, and it turned out that Fraiman repeatedly left the playing room during the games. Before the start of round 10 game Yegorov asked all participants to hand over their mobile phones. Prior to this, players were not forbidden to be in the playing hall with the telephones switched off.

However, Freiman ignored the demand and taking his jacket, left the room. Andrei Yegorov followed him and found Freiman in the toilet with the phone on, while several moves had already been made on the board and immediately he was awarded a loss.

However, what I find incredible is that the guy is still playing in the final round! Dmitry Fraiman plays Grandmaster Kirill Alekseenko. Sure he's going to be closely monitored but what kind of a message does this send to other cheaters? He should have been thrown out of the tournament and hit with a subsequent ban.

http://ruchess.ru/news/all/evgeniy_alek ... eterburga/
Last edited by Chris Rice on Tue Mar 28, 2017 11:21 am, edited 1 time in total.

NickFaulks

Re: Penalties for mobile phone cheating

Post by NickFaulks » Tue Mar 28, 2017 11:16 am

The Anti-Cheating regulations cover this, but seem to be almost universally ignored. I wonder whether ACC even still really exists.
If you want a picture of the future, imagine a QR code stamped on a human face — forever.

Kevin O'Rourke

Post by Kevin O'Rourke » Tue Mar 28, 2017 4:06 pm

how can i film my game using my phone? not allowed to be on

Roger de Coverly

Post by Roger de Coverly » Tue Mar 28, 2017 4:42 pm

Kevin O'Rourke wrote:how can i film my game using my phone? not allowed to be on
You can't unless you can get an arbiter to declare the phone a camera. Even then, filming is not generally allowed after the first few minutes of the game other than by special dispensation.