Chess Tour of GM Jacob Aagaard

Discuss anything you like about chess related matters in this forum.
soheil_hooshdaran

Chess Tour of GM Jacob Aagaard

Post by soheil_hooshdaran » Mon Apr 17, 2017 8:13 pm

Hello.
What is it about?
He is going to Tehran and Telegram channel of Iranian chess federation gives no clue about what is it about.

I need to start my travel tommorow if I am to be in Tehran on Wednesday

Ian Thompson

Re: Chess Tour of GM Jacob Aagaard

Post by Ian Thompson » Mon Apr 17, 2017 8:26 pm

soheil_hooshdaran wrote:Hello.
What is it about?
He is going to Tehran and Telegram channel of Iranian chess federation gives no clue about what is it about.

I need to start my travel tommorow if I am to be in Tehran on Wednesday
There's some information here. I saw no publicity at the tournament though, so don't know whether the events did take place.

John McKenna

Post by John McKenna » Tue Apr 18, 2017 12:16 am

NB: There is an online registration form for the events in the tour in the link in the post above.

Below is an extract from Chessbase India -

http://chessbase.in/news/jacob-aagaard-in-india/

.. Aagaard will then visit the 17th Bangkok Club Open Chess Championship on 9th April before going to Manila on the 11th and then Singapore on 12th. Jakarta, where he will be a guest of the Utut Adianto Chess School from 13-15 April, will certainly be a tour highlight. Then it will be back to Kuala Lumpur a visit to the National Scholastics Championships before departing to Teheran on 16th of April.

soheil_hooshdaran

Post by soheil_hooshdaran » Tue Apr 18, 2017 7:37 am

Somebody should tell them it is "Tehran".
Actually, the secretress of the federation said to me that the class is free. I don't know why, since apparently no book royalty will be paid to foreign authors, to the best of my knowledge.

soheil_hooshdaran

Post by soheil_hooshdaran » Tue Apr 18, 2017 11:11 am

If only I knew what he is talking about. it is 932 km to Tehran

Brian Towers

Post by Brian Towers » Tue Apr 18, 2017 12:11 pm

soheil_hooshdaran wrote:Somebody should tell them it is "Tehran".
Why do you think it is Tehran?
Surely it is تهران ?

Which is correct, Munich or Muenchen? Rome or Roma? Prague or Praha? Peking, Beijing or something else altogether?

Having lived in Munich for several years it always cracks me up when foreigners call their main football club "Bayern Munich". Logically it should be "Bayern Muenchen" or "Bavaria Munich". I suppose "the meaning is the use" as Wittgenstein said.
Ah, but I was so much older then. I'm younger than that now.

soheil_hooshdaran

Post by soheil_hooshdaran » Tue Apr 18, 2017 1:01 pm

yes I was telling the sound
it is تهران or as written in ancient times, طهران

soheil_hooshdaran

Post by soheil_hooshdaran » Tue Apr 18, 2017 4:14 pm

Oh, an IM friend of mine asked GM Aagaard about the subject of the lecture, and Jacob said not sure, but probably 4 modes of decision-making in chess. What is it? The IM didn't know himself

Not sure if it is worth going in the face of the long distance...

soheil_hooshdaran

Post by soheil_hooshdaran » Thu Apr 20, 2017 8:01 am

I went to Tehran and returned from it by plane- it is some 100 minuts from Shiraz to Tehran by plane. Just my sudden decision costed me about 90 pounds, almost my 1 month of salary, but worthy yet.

Jacob was a nice guy. I learnt from him in the 4-5 hours not just chess (it was a lecture), but also about the whole life. He was very careful about the cultural differences.

It was just that my ear was a bit heavy and I missed some of his, as well as, his translators' word (the fedration assigned him two official translators who nomally tried to summarize his words, and Jacob noticed that and thanked them!)

I hope to have Jacob in Shiraz

John McKenna

Post by John McKenna » Thu Apr 20, 2017 11:46 am

Nice post, above, about your trip to Teh(e)ran (either spelling is allowed in English) to hear GM Aagaard's lecture.

"My ear was a bit heavy" is an interesting expression. Normally in English we'd say "my eyelids were/are heavy" if having trouble staying awake. The nearest way of expressing having a problem with hearing a talk due to fatigue would be something like "my ears are/were dull/ed".

soheil_hooshdaran

Post by soheil_hooshdaran » Fri Apr 21, 2017 3:49 pm

I am unilaterally-deaf