Statistics in chess

Discuss anything you like about chess related matters in this forum.
Nick Grey

Re: Statistics in chess

Post by Nick Grey » Sun May 07, 2017 3:20 pm

That's not cricket. One batsman & one bowler.

There are far more footballers, clubs & leagues than cricket. Far more cricketers than chess players that have a grade or part grade.

One major difference is not allowing girls & boys on the same team from a certain age. Very good reasons for this. But it is fantastic that growth in the women's game in most sports is increasing.

Is it increasing in female chess from say 13+? I don't think so. I agree with Adam on the university part particularly as many of these clubs set up without playing ECF chess which is why these students that do play chess in this area approach their local adult chess club.

My first secondary school statistics lesson started off as "there are lies, damned lies, and statistics". Many of the comments on numbers on this forum are worse than diane abbott's.

I suspect that White's advantage is non-existent at 140 ECF & below from supposedly evenly matched players. But that is really difficult to prove unless ECF would make a grading file available for analysis.

With Richard passing away I doubt that there will be any significant analysis of this years grades(if not passed at ECF Finance Council).

Roger de Coverly

Re: Statistics in chess

Post by Roger de Coverly » Sun May 07, 2017 3:29 pm

Nick Grey wrote: But that is really difficult to prove unless ECF would make a grading file available for analysis.
It certainly exists because it's the data uploaded for the archive of results at www.ecfgrading.org.uk

One problem is that the record of the colours is an optional data item.