Antics at a North London Club

Discuss anything you like about chess related matters in this forum.
Michael Flatt

Antics at a North London Club

Post by Michael Flatt » Wed Apr 26, 2017 12:12 pm

I wonder, has anyone experienced the ritual abuse meted out by members of a North London club to a visiting player who, after the game, pointed out to his opponent the unwelcome disruptive tactic employed in the later stages of a game which might have been considered gamesmanship?

A handful of player across the room and not engaged in the match, each in turn, directed comments at the visitor loudly in a manner intended to humiliate him and without thought of their greater disruption to the remaining unfinished games.

It must be a common practice in the club as one member who, must have been intent in escalating the situation, shortly afterwards furtively placed a "trophy" adjacent to the said player's board which he had vacated; it took the form of a white mug displaying an image of angry face and the words, "Mr Rage".

Would the incident described above be sufficient for other players in North London to recognise the club in question?

Roger Lancaster

Re: Antics at a North London Club

Post by Roger Lancaster » Wed Apr 26, 2017 12:51 pm

Currently living just outside North London, I've no idea which club this is (and it'll be interesting to see if there are any rebuttals of what Michael has posted) but, if it's true, I'd certainly welcome knowing in case we ever have to play there.

Clive Blackburn

Post by Clive Blackburn » Wed Apr 26, 2017 1:07 pm

I have played for a couple of North London clubs (many years ago now) and various Midlands clubs since then but I certainly never experienced barracking of that sort in any chess club!

Where were the club officials when all this was going on?

Where was the two match captains?

Chess players want to their team to win of course but In my experience they would never resort to the kind of behaviour described here.

Angus French

Post by Angus French » Wed Apr 26, 2017 1:36 pm

Michael, has the club of the visiting player made a complaint to the controller of the relevant league?

Michael Flatt

Post by Michael Flatt » Wed Apr 26, 2017 2:26 pm

Angus,

I raised with the league secretary the nature of the distraction during the game that I found objectionable and requested that he remind clubs of the rules of match play. I did not raise the question of the home players behaviour which I found unnecessary and disrespectful.

My match was against the home team's captain. He made no reply to my comment after the game. It was the other players in the room who seemed to take it upon themselves to respond on his behalf.

My opponent withdrew without speaking and motioned for another member of the club to join him outside the room, where I presume they discussed the incident. On their return, neither of them spoke to me nor my captain who was absorbed in his own game.

Had I not needed to wait for a colleague whom I had promised a lift, I would have left immediately. After the incident nothing else was said but the "trophy" mysteriously appeared next to board with the logo directly in my line of vision. I believe it was intended to provoke an argument.

I doubt that I will ever return to that club.

John Upham

Post by John Upham » Wed Apr 26, 2017 2:36 pm

Would this incident be described as "sledging" or is it worse than that ?

I don't for one moment think that there is any excuse for it.

John
British Chess News : britishchessnews.com
Twitter: @BritishChess
Facebook: facebook.com/groups/britishchess :D

Roger Lancaster

Post by Roger Lancaster » Thu Apr 27, 2017 1:02 pm

I've since identified the club in question - a small club whose existence is unlikely to be known to many on this site - and it's up to Michael whether he identifies them. However, having said earlier that "I'd certainly welcome knowing in case we ever have to play there", I now find that we already do!

PS: Just to answer Michael's later point, I'm unaware of our players undergoing similar experiences there.
Last edited by Roger Lancaster on Fri Apr 28, 2017 10:02 am, edited 1 time in total.

David Williams

Post by David Williams » Thu Apr 27, 2017 3:23 pm

It would probably take about a minute to identify the clubs that Mr Flatt has played away at recently. There's no anonymity here, and I doubt if it was ever intended.

Michael Flatt

Post by Michael Flatt » Thu Apr 27, 2017 4:20 pm

This post was to invite players to share any similar experiences at that club.

It had been a very enjoyable game up to a certain point, but its finish was spoiled by outside circumstances.

I suggest that the club remove the special "trophy" from their cupboard and resist "ganging-up" to abuse a visiting player.

I have certainly learned something from the experience.