Entry vs registration

Discuss anything you like about chess related matters in this forum.
soheil_hooshdaran

Entry vs registration

Post by soheil_hooshdaran » Mon Jun 19, 2017 2:18 pm

Hi.
Why would I they get two fees to let you play in zone 3.1?
Entry vs registration

Roger de Coverly

Re: Entry vs registration

Post by Roger de Coverly » Mon Jun 19, 2017 2:31 pm

soheil_hooshdaran wrote: Entry vs registration
I presume you mean this event.
https://www.fide.com/images/stories/FID ... ATIONS.pdf

The relevant rules being
1.1 National Federations in Zone 3.1 may enter two invited players (one man and one woman). Federations may register additional players who will be considered extra players
The registration fee US$ 100 for each participant and each accompanying person including
accreditation, bulletins and transportation from the airport to the accommodation (29 June Arrival and 8 July Departure)
3.1 In accordance with FIDE regulation an entry fee of US $ 150 is required for each player.
Their National Federation must pay this amount to the organizing Committee.
The simple answer is that FIDE Regulations allow it. The more complex answer is that charging a registration fee in excess of the cost of the services provided helps balance the books of financing the event.

It's not unknown for Federations to treat the hosting of international events as a fund raising opportunity. They make it compulsory to stay at "official" hotels, but then charge high season prices for accommodation booked at low season or bulk discount prices.

LawrenceCooper

Post by LawrenceCooper » Mon Jun 19, 2017 2:54 pm

I think all the FIDE/ECU events that I've registered teams and players for have both. The entry fees tend to go the ECU/FIDE and the registration fees to the organisers.

David Sedgwick

Post by David Sedgwick » Mon Jun 19, 2017 2:55 pm

I don't know much about Asian Continental events.

However, for the equivalent African Continental events, the registration fee goes to the organisers and the entry fee goes to FIDE.

http://africa-chess.org/files/2017_Zone ... evised.pdf is a recent example.

Edit: Lawrence beat me to it.