2017 Laws of Chess: FIDE Handbook discrepancy

Discuss anything you like about chess related matters in this forum.
Alex Holowczak

Re: 2017 Laws of Chess: FIDE Handbook discrepancy

Post by Alex Holowczak » Wed Jul 05, 2017 10:52 am

Geoff Chandler wrote:Just makes the rule you are not allowed to hold onto or play with or juggle captured pieces.
And the penalty for that if you do?

David Sedgwick

Post by David Sedgwick » Wed Jul 05, 2017 11:10 am

Alex Holowczak wrote: White was reaching over the board to try to grab his own Queen, because his next move was going to be a8=Q. At first, I thought the hands may have clashed, but that isn't the case. I don't think I consider white reaching over the board to be distracting in this case, because I don't think it contributed to Black's decision to promote to the upside-down Rook. I think that decision was caused by the Queen not being there.

If you mean it was distracting for white to have moved the Queen, then I think I could agree with that. The problem was that the arbiter didn't observe the Queen was missing, so couldn't make that decision. Perhaps it would be more accurate to say that the arbiter made the correct decision in accordance with the Laws, based on what he saw.
I was going to respond to this, but I see from Mike Klein's article that the Black player has lodged an appeal to the Chess Federation of Canada.

As I almost always recommend refraining from public comment while an appeal is pending, I shall follow my own advice for once.

Geoff Chandler

Post by Geoff Chandler » Wed Jul 05, 2017 3:22 pm

Alex Holowczak wrote:
Geoff Chandler wrote:Just makes the rule you are not allowed to hold onto or play with or juggle captured pieces.
And the penalty for that if you do?
You have to eat them.