Is Merseyside leaving the NCCU?

Discuss anything you like about chess related matters in this forum.
John Reyes

Is Merseyside leaving the NCCU?

Post by John Reyes » Wed Jul 05, 2017 5:56 pm

Just been looking at the NCCU Minutes

you need to have a read on it

http://www.nccu.org.uk/wp/wp-content/up ... 100617.pdf
Any postings on here represent my personal views only and also Dyslexia as well

David Robertson

Re: Is Merseyside leaving the NCCU?

Post by David Robertson » Wed Jul 05, 2017 9:21 pm

I'm completely baffled why everyone hasn't already left the NCCU. It has long been the most egregiously useless organisation, administered by the most self-important and preposterous individuals. The NCCU exists to do nothing at all, badly.

By contrast, the Merseyside CA is merely relatively useless - though it seems to have found a use for itself by asking what use the NCCU has. Providing an answer will doubtless keep the NCCU busy with meetings for the next decade

Useless.

Andrew Zigmond

Post by Andrew Zigmond » Wed Jul 05, 2017 9:28 pm

David Robertson wrote:I'm completely baffled why everyone hasn't already left the NCCU. It has long been the most egregiously useless organisation, administered by the most self-important and preposterous individuals. The NCCU exists to do nothing at all, badly.
A statement I find very hard to disagree with. Although I am in the minority of Northern chess players who realises the NCCU actually exists.
Controller - Yorkshire League
Chairman - Harrogate Chess Club
All views expressed entirely my own

Kevin Thurlow

Post by Kevin Thurlow » Thu Jul 06, 2017 7:45 am

"I'm completely baffled why everyone hasn't already left the NCCU. It has long been the most egregiously useless organisation, administered by the most self-important and preposterous individuals. The NCCU exists to do nothing at all, badly. "

Thanks for some early morning entertainment. Perhaps the ECF could have an "egregiously useless organisation" of the year award? There are candidates in the South...

Nick Grey

Post by Nick Grey » Thu Jul 06, 2017 9:17 am

Perhaps the ECF could have an "egregiously useless organisation" of the year award?

We would have a chance of winning that! We have been called a lot worse over the last few weeks.

Michael Farthing

Post by Michael Farthing » Thu Jul 06, 2017 9:24 am

In reviewing those 145 organisations that have a place on Council I was unaware of what "Friends of Chess" and the "National Youth Chess Association" do (though I have no reason to believe it is insignificant - I just don't know). Other than these two bodies I was unable to find even a potential rival to the NCCU for this new coveted award.

LawrenceCooper

Post by LawrenceCooper » Thu Jul 06, 2017 9:30 am

Michael Farthing wrote:In reviewing those 145 organisations that have a place on Council I was unaware of what "Friends of Chess" and the "National Youth Chess Association" do (though I have no reason to believe it is insignificant - I just don't know). Other than these two bodies I was unable to find even a potential rival to the NCCU for this new coveted award.
https://friendsofchess.wordpress.com/

http://www.ncjs.co.uk/nyca.html

Ihor Lewyk

Post by Ihor Lewyk » Thu Jul 06, 2017 10:37 am

I am rarely surprised to see the regular snide remarks towards chess volunteers from Mr Robertson. But why do ECF representatives really need to show this is acceptable by joking about it as well, instead of putting him in his place?

It is appalling to keep belittling the efforts of others, especially when they are actually doing something constructive to organize chess. Look at the NCCU website and it might surprise you how much is done by so few.

http://www.nccu.org.uk/

Andrew Zigmond

Post by Andrew Zigmond » Thu Jul 06, 2017 11:20 am

I suppose the questions that need to be asked here are;

a) what does the NCCU do?
b) what do the other county unions do and how does the NCCU compare?

Of course you could add a third question, namely what should a county union do?

The NCCU are perhaps not helped by their association with a forty year old and counting feud. Their two flagship events are the internal county championships (where all but three counties have long ceased to participate) and a NCCU club championship where the majority of the entries seem to be from Lancashire/ Manchester with a few from Yorkshire, Cumbria and Northumbria. One Merseyside club does compete and possibly they would be able to do so even if the MCA left - I might be wrong on this but I think there is no bar to Manchester clubs entering, it's just full county affiliation that is the sticking point.
Controller - Yorkshire League
Chairman - Harrogate Chess Club
All views expressed entirely my own

Michael Farthing

Post by Michael Farthing » Thu Jul 06, 2017 11:27 am

Ihor Lewyk wrote:I am rarely surprised to see the regular snide remarks towards chess volunteers from Mr Robertson. But why do ECF representatives really need to show this is acceptable by joking about it as well, instead of putting him in his place?

It is appalling to keep belittling the efforts of others, especially when they are actually doing something constructive to organize chess. Look at the NCCU website and it might surprise you how much is done by so few.

I apologise for my part in this. As Andew says, irritation about the feud clouded my judgement.

Mick Norris

Post by Mick Norris » Thu Jul 06, 2017 11:30 am

Ihor Lewyk wrote: Look at the NCCU website and it might surprise you how much is done by so few.

That's entirely their choice though, isn't it? They have been offered extra help and decided against accepting it

I'm not sure what Merseyside are doing as a county; do they compete as a county at junior level?

Liverpool are coming to Manchester in a few weeks for the match to celebrate the 200th anniversary of the formation of the original Manchester Chess Club; fortunately we didn't need to ask any Union or the ECF about arranging that :roll:
Any postings on here represent my personal views

Ihor Lewyk

Post by Ihor Lewyk » Thu Jul 06, 2017 11:42 am

Michael Farthing wrote:
Ihor Lewyk wrote:I am rarely surprised to see the regular snide remarks towards chess volunteers from Mr Robertson. But why do ECF representatives really need to show this is acceptable by joking about it as well, instead of putting him in his place?

I apologise for my part in this. As Andew says, irritation about the feud clouded my judgement.
Thank you for doing so.

Gareth T Ellis

Post by Gareth T Ellis » Fri Jul 07, 2017 8:06 pm

Merseyside is staying in the NCCU for now, having a volunteer to captain a county team.

IanCalvert

Post by IanCalvert » Sat Jul 08, 2017 5:18 pm

Gareth T Ellis wrote:Merseyside is staying in the NCCU for now, having a volunteer to captain a county team.
As a junior player for Formby in the late 1960's and someone born in Manchester, I do hope Mersyside players can have dual citizenship especially when playing against the awesome Yorkshire Heffalumps!

Steve Emmerton

Post by Steve Emmerton » Sun Jul 09, 2017 3:39 pm

As a member of a club in Staffordshire I have no particular gripe about the NCCU. All I would say is that you could replace the name NCCU with MCCU and your comments would pretty much reflect how we feel a bit further South !!! Be interesting to hear what people have to say about the other Unions.