NEW LONDON LEAGUE VENUE

Discuss anything you like about chess related matters in this forum.
Alex McFarlane

Re: NEW LONDON LEAGUE VENUE

Post by Alex McFarlane » Wed Aug 16, 2017 10:25 am

I don't understand this post.
NickFaulks wrote:Then we could have all the fun of Guideline III.5.
Stewart was clearly referring to Adam's post about using increments. With those conditions III.5 or III.6 would be redundant.

As if defending Stewart wasn't bad enough( :D ) I also have to agree to some extent with Roger!
When I do arbiter courses and this is discussed I often refer to an example from a junior international match where I knew the decision the arbiter was going to make but I did not know what my decision would have been if I was the arbiter. I may well have agreed but being able to calculate a few obvious but extra moves ahead meant the decision was much less clear.

With Mike's example I advise arbiters to consider how the player with king is defending. If he keeps the king in the centre then it is drawn but if the king goes to the edge then he risks losing before 50 moves have been played.

Roger de Coverly

Post by Roger de Coverly » Wed Aug 16, 2017 10:35 am

Mike Gunn wrote:In my experience any player who doesn't know how to mate with King and Rook against King is unlikely to find the method by randomly trying different approaches in less than 2 minutes!
It may well be only the defender who is down to less than 2 minutes, not the attacker.

Stewart Reuben

Post by Stewart Reuben » Wed Aug 16, 2017 2:09 pm

In the days of shillings, or even later, it used to be possible to lose on time with king + rook against a bare king. In the European Muscular Dystrophy Team and Individual Championship, a player wasn't succeeding in mating with K+R. His time was running out. I intervened (interfered?) after about 40 moves and dvised him to offer a draw.
Thus calamity was avoided.

Reg Clucas

Post by Reg Clucas » Wed Aug 16, 2017 5:20 pm

Roger de Coverly wrote:
Mike Gunn wrote:In my experience any player who doesn't know how to mate with King and Rook against King is unlikely to find the method by randomly trying different approaches in less than 2 minutes!
It may well be only the defender who is down to less than 2 minutes, not the attacker.
Indeed - after all, the player with the rook is hardly likely to want to claim a draw!

Nick Grey

Post by Nick Grey » Wed Aug 16, 2017 6:03 pm

One of the advantages of the London League is the alternate quickplay or slow play option. In slow play you have plenty of time for your 50 moves and your opponent is likely to resign a lost rook and king v king ending.

Some really strange things happen with quickplay compared with slow play. Personally I prefer slow play for that reason to play my own game and own moves.

Looking forward to the new venue particularly if it is free tea/coffee - the absence of the bar at Golden Lane was not very nice last season.