Let's Bring Back the Old Rules

Discuss anything you like about chess related matters in this forum.
Geoff Chandler

Re: Let's Bring Back the Old Rules

Post by Geoff Chandler » Tue Aug 29, 2017 12:45 pm

Hi Stewart,

I have often played 1.e4 Ng6 2.f3 e5 3.f5! a Latvian in reverse.

The anti repetition rule would need tidying up.
Can you repeat a position on say move 39 if it already appeared on move 28.
Three fold rep can be claimed without consecutive moves but what about the 'new' law.

And what happens if repeating is the only legal move.

Also the 'new' stalemate rule also needs clarifying.

White to play.

1.Kf2.

Does White lose because he has stalemated the Black King
or does White win because he has stalemated the Black King.

I like both rules as they are. One of the first things I checked before
carrying out a sac-sac mate combo is: "If this does not work have I got
a perpetual." which shows you how much faith I have in my combinations.

Botvinnik honestly admits that in his famous win v Capablanca
at AVRO 1938. He saw he had at the very least a perpetual so here....

....he played 30.Ba3,

Kevin Thurlow

Post by Kevin Thurlow » Tue Aug 29, 2017 1:06 pm

" Then Jersey perceived the benefit and applied separately. FIDE accepted them, but recommended Guernsey and Jersey should amalgamate as one FIDE federation. So they did for some years.
Then the two islands fell out. So Jersey applied to join separately. By now federations had to be represented at the UN to join. But Jersey were allowed in because their application had been previously accepted. "

Apparently (I was told by a Guernseyman), before one Olympiad, Jersey contacted Guernsey and said "We have selected our 5 players for the team, who is your one?" This might have caused a falling-out...

For the uninitiated Guernsey vs Jersey ("Donkey" vs "Crapaud" in the local insulting slang, crapaud is French for toad) is a bit like Celtic vs Rangers, or Manu vs Man City, or Arsenal vs Tottenham, but much more serious. It's not really like that any more, and when Guernsey put a team in the 4NCL, it was a mixed Channel Island team and they even let me in.

Roger de Coverly

Post by Roger de Coverly » Tue Aug 29, 2017 1:09 pm

Kevin Thurlow wrote: It's not really like that any more
I thought there is a story that whenever GCI face JCI in the Olympaid, that FIDE assign their most experienced arbiter(s), just in case.

Kevin Thurlow

Post by Kevin Thurlow » Tue Aug 29, 2017 1:14 pm

"I thought there is a story that whenever GCI face JCI in the Olympaid, that FIDE assign their most experienced arbiter(s), just in case."

That might be true!

But I think both sides have nice people playing for them.

NickFaulks

Post by NickFaulks » Tue Aug 29, 2017 1:42 pm

Kevin Thurlow wrote:"I thought there is a story that whenever GCI face JCI in the Olympaid, that FIDE assign their most experienced arbiter(s), just in case."

That might be true!
I haven't heard that, and it sounds like an urban myth. They meet on a low board, so would normally expect the sort of arbiter who neither knows the rules nor speaks a word of English.
If you want a picture of the future, imagine a QR code stamped on a human face — forever.

IM Jack Rudd

Post by IM Jack Rudd » Tue Aug 29, 2017 2:50 pm

If people could post on this thread without putting their entire post in bold, that would be great.

NickFaulks

Post by NickFaulks » Tue Aug 29, 2017 6:37 pm

Who is that aimed at? I don't think it's me, but in my browser I can't see anyone else either.
If you want a picture of the future, imagine a QR code stamped on a human face — forever.

Nick Grey

Post by Nick Grey » Tue Aug 29, 2017 6:52 pm

Geoff - your reversed Latvian has 2 illegal moves. 1 for each player.

IM Jack Rudd

Post by IM Jack Rudd » Tue Aug 29, 2017 9:31 pm

NickFaulks wrote:Who is that aimed at? I don't think it's me, but in my browser I can't see anyone else either.
It was Geoff Chandler; I reformatted his posts so as to stop their hurting my eyes.

Geoff Chandler

Post by Geoff Chandler » Wed Aug 30, 2017 2:25 am

Sorry Jack,

My eyesight is going, I now have to wear reading glasses but keep losing the bloody things.

I put it on bold as it helps check it in the preview (and even then it's not too good.)

1.e4 Nf6 2.f3 e5 3.f4, (sigh)

No more bold.

Julie Denning

Post by Julie Denning » Wed Aug 30, 2017 4:22 pm

Stewart Reuben wrote:John told me he asked Jersey to join with Guernsey in the application but, at that time, the Jersey players were totally uninterested. So Guernsey went it alone. Then Jersey perceived the benefit and applied separately. FIDE accepted them, but recommended Guernsey and Jersey should amalgamate as one FIDE federation. So they did for some years.
Then the two islands fell out. So Jersey applied to join separately. By now federations had to be represented at the UN to join. But Jersey were allowed in because their application had been previously accepted.
Both the Isle of Man and Northern Ireland have subsequently applied, but stood no chance. I can't see thereever being a 6th British Isles federation. The IOM might hve been successful had they applied when I first suggeted it. Gibraltar would also like to join.
Thus we have the odd fact that two of the very biggest prize money opens in the world, Gibraltar and the IOM, are held under the umbrella of the ECF.
If you attend the Olympiad, you will find that, when Guernsey meets Jersey, there is a great deal of interest.

We have got splendidly away from the original thread.
The early part of this tallies with my memory from the time. The latter part was after I'd lost contact with the club, although my father was still a member. Your account from John Bisson is no doubt correct, save for one detail. You say "then the two islands fell out" as if this was a new thing. As Kevin Thurlow alludes to in a later post, there's absolutely nothing new in that! There's always been great rivalry between Guernsey and Jersey

Julie Denning

Post by Julie Denning » Wed Aug 30, 2017 4:27 pm

Kevin Thurlow wrote:"

For the uninitiated Guernsey vs Jersey ("Donkey" vs "Crapaud" in the local insulting slang, crapaud is French for toad) is a bit like Celtic vs Rangers, or Manu vs Man City, or Arsenal vs Tottenham, but much more serious. It's not really like that any more, and when Guernsey put a team in the 4NCL, it was a mixed Channel Island team and they even let me in.
Dammit Kevin, you've figured out the code. I can no longer use the pseudonym "ex-pat Donkey" without being identified!

Kevin Thurlow

Post by Kevin Thurlow » Wed Aug 30, 2017 5:52 pm

After about 40 visits to the islands, you do notice these things!

John Clarke

Post by John Clarke » Thu Aug 31, 2017 11:53 pm

My dad grew up on Guernsey in the 1930s. I asked him once if the inter-island rivalry depicted in The Book Of Ebenezer Le Page (regarded as the great Guernsey novel) really was that intense. "Oh yes!" was his reply.

I get the impression it's been a bit of an old-money/new-money thing in recent decades. Guernseymen like to think they'd have been above anything as vulgar and soul-selling as the Bergerac TV series. Like to ....
"The chess-board is the world ..... the player on the other side is hidden from us ..... he never overlooks a mistake, or makes the smallest allowance for ignorance."
(He doesn't let you resign and start again, either.)