British Universities & Colleges Sport

Discuss anything you like about chess related matters in this forum.
Neill Cooper

British Universities & Colleges Sport

Post by Neill Cooper » Sat Sep 09, 2017 5:13 pm

Commenting on the terribly sad news of Peter Poobalasingam's death, David Sedgwick raises the issue of British Universities & Colleges Sport's decree stopping chess from taking part in subsequent World University Chess Championships.

It appears that BUCS has a change of heart as they do list chess for this year's European Universities Championships 2017. The qualification event is listed as this year's BUCA championships. There is, however, no indication as to whether any British University chess teams will be going to the European Championships.

Alex Holowczak

Re: British Universities & Colleges Sport

Post by Alex Holowczak » Sat Sep 09, 2017 5:31 pm

Neill Cooper wrote:Commenting on the terribly sad news of Peter Poobalasingam's death, David Sedgwick raises the issue of British Universities & Colleges Sport's decree stopping chess from taking part in subsequent World University Chess Championships.

It appears that BUCS has a change of heart as they do list chess for this year's European Universities Championships 2017. The qualification event is listed as this year's BUCA championships. There is, however, no indication as to whether any British University chess teams will be going to the European Championships.
Teams went in 2016, and finished in mid-table.

In 2017, I'm afraid I know as little as you do. I know the qualified teams were arranging to pay entry fees but I don't actually know which teams are finally going. I looked a week or so ago about who was playing from all of the different countries on the official website, but I couldn't find that answer out either.

The qualifiers were Warwick, Oxford, Bath and Cambridge. They are entitled to enter teams into either the men's or women's section, or both. Warwick were trying to raise a women's team, but I don't know if they ultimately succeeded.

Neill Cooper

Post by Neill Cooper » Sat Sep 09, 2017 6:07 pm

Thanks Alex, great to know that they have been allowed to take part.

Alan Llewellyn

Post by Alan Llewellyn » Sat Sep 09, 2017 9:05 pm

I have been to three universities, Dundee 1989-1990 uclan 1992-95 and manchesters old UMIST college 1996 and while in Dundee I wasn't playing chess much and was into wargamming instead, the other two didn't have chess clubs that I could find and I did ask around. UMIST did put me in touch with a Manchester league club the White Horse or swan which became the withingtons peoples club and amalgamated after I left. I only played 1 league game for them, but found them an incredibly friendly club.

Lucy Head

Post by Lucy Head » Tue Sep 12, 2017 4:33 pm

Warwick university are sending two teams of two players each to the European Universities' Championship in Spain. They were meant to be an Open team and a Women's team, but unfortunately the second board of the women's, who lives in the UAE, left it too late to obtain a visa so had to drop out. With some last minute organisation, the Women's top board has now transferred to the Open section and another male player will make up the team.

Alex Holowczak

Post by Alex Holowczak » Tue Sep 12, 2017 7:25 pm

Lucy Head wrote:With some last minute organisation, the Women's top board has now transferred to the Open section and another male player will make up the team.
Interesting. The regulations refer explicitly to a men's competition and a women's competition.

Lucy Head

Post by Lucy Head » Tue Sep 12, 2017 10:27 pm

It seems slightly complicated the arrangements, but the second board for the Warwick women's team only dropped out over the last week and as Louise Head as top board, is all paid for and entered to do this, the president of the Warwick uni chess club has contacted the tournament organisers, who have agreed, under the circumstances, to let her play, with the second board now being male. She can play in the Women's Blitz, which is an individual tournament. Until they get there next Tuesday 19th, they aren't 100% sure how this is going to work out, but I hope all will be well for them.

I note on chess results that Oxford are sending two teams and also Cambridge. No list of players as yet. Wish it was standard play.

Alex Holowczak

Post by Alex Holowczak » Tue Sep 12, 2017 10:39 pm

It really should have occurred to me to look on Chess-Results. :oops:

I'm glad that the organisers have come up with a pragmatic solution given the circumstances. The women's event only appears to have 6 entries including Warwick, which might have been a factor. A double round robin is near enough to 11 games...

Oxford entered two teams because BUCA is a team of 4, but the European Universities is a team of 2. In 2016, they organised the event as an individual event with the top 2 scores counting towards the team score. So there was no harm in sending a team of 4. The regulations changed without anyone noticing though for 2017, so BUCS and I thought that given our qualifier was a team of 4, it wasn't unreasonable for two Oxford teams to go.

I wonder how many others were caught out. There are 22 teams on the team sheet, but 5 of them are sending two teams.

I'm glad that the UK universities are supporting the event though in general. It would be good to have a few more countries represented, but hopefully they'll follow in future.

Mick Norris

Post by Mick Norris » Thu Sep 21, 2017 9:57 am

Live games today from 2:30 pm UK time

Team ranking has an interesting order as far as the 2 Warwick teams are concerned :)
Any postings on here represent my personal views

Kevin Thurlow

Post by Kevin Thurlow » Thu Sep 21, 2017 10:02 am

Oxford's Federation seems to vary as well!

Ural State Mining University are taking it seriously.

Stewart Reuben

Post by Stewart Reuben » Tue Sep 26, 2017 1:44 am

Alex >Warwick were trying to raise a women's team, but I don't know if they ultimately succeeded.<

I hope they invited Cathy.