The White Horse club of manchester (then known as Withington Peoples club)

Discuss anything you like about chess related matters in this forum.
Alan Llewellyn

The White Horse club of manchester (then known as Withington Peoples club)

Post by Alan Llewellyn » Sat Sep 09, 2017 9:35 pm

In 1996 while studying at the UMIST university I was told about the chess club, the White Horse or White swan and I went there for a few weeks played some friendlies against some of their players and was kindly invited to play for their 3rd team in division 1 or 2 of the Manchester league. In the game I lost a pawn and the game was adjudicated as a loss despite me having small chances to draw. I am not sure who we played we went north of Manchester so it could have been Bolton or Heywood.

Anyway if anyone from the club remembers my brief visits or can tell me why the club subsequently amalgamated , I remember the well known Alan Smith used to go to the club and we briefly said hello. You see what happened was I had a breakdown living away from home and was subsequently incarcerated in a hospital. I only found out the result of the adjourned game 20 years later when I found my grading had been recorded as a different alan llewellyn from Withington club and the result was obviously a loss.

Alan Llewellyn

Re: The White Horse club of manchester (then known as Withington Peoples club)

Post by Alan Llewellyn » Sat Sep 09, 2017 9:49 pm

I went to another club in Manchester held in a bowling green pub, I didn't like it but the White swan club which I subsequently went to was an extremely friendly club more like the ones I was used to in Cumbria, like the Barrow-in-Furness and Ulverston clubs.

David Pardoe

Post by David Pardoe » Sun Sep 10, 2017 5:05 pm

I think the People`s club just lost members and disbanded. Some of the players joined other local clubs like Chorlton and Stockport.
There is no doubt room for another chess club in Withington area if a volunteer can be found to run it. There used to be a very good club which met at Manchester Bridge Club in Withington, but they too disbanded. They couldn't get the numbers, but the venue was fine.
I think central Manchester could do with a club, so that players could meet casually at lunchtimes, and maybe one evening. Loads of pubs have rooms for hire I think. One other option is online chess and GAMEKNOT offer a good site with monthly competitions, split by grade.
I prefer the old traditional OTB chess personally....
BRING BACK THE BCF

Mick Norris

Post by Mick Norris » Sun Sep 10, 2017 5:55 pm

Any postings on here represent my personal views

Alan Llewellyn

Post by Alan Llewellyn » Sun Sep 10, 2017 9:04 pm

well I cant volunteer I moved out of the area completely, I was brought up in Barrow-in-Furness region you see and only moved to live in Manchester in 1996 to go to university but I pulled out of uni a few months later studying a post grad at UMIST. Now I would love to go back to live there but would only go with my fiancée.

Alan Llewellyn

Post by Alan Llewellyn » Sun Sep 10, 2017 9:07 pm

I just wondered what happened clubs in my region have been going hundreds of years see

Alan Llewellyn

Post by Alan Llewellyn » Sun Sep 10, 2017 9:12 pm

and although it was called the peoples club that wasn't anything to do with me mick that's not why I was asking because I am a traditionalist where clubs are concerned with my priority being my own families lives- I want friends but my time is for my wife first not chess.

Alan Llewellyn

Post by Alan Llewellyn » Sun Sep 10, 2017 9:17 pm

The Barrow Club has got the balance between friends and family right which is why its been going so long. It is not a social club but an affiliation of sorts.

MartinCarpenter

Post by MartinCarpenter » Mon Sep 11, 2017 7:28 pm

Peoples also had Lloyd Powell who's back playing chess for Spirit of Atticus & Graham Burton for 3C's.

They were still just going when I arrived in Manchester a bit over 10 years ago, but didn't last long. Chorlton is as central as it gets these days which is a bit silly in some ways.

Alan Llewellyn

Post by Alan Llewellyn » Mon Sep 11, 2017 10:26 pm

I met an economist, at the club, who worked for john major(he was still pm then) and had a quick discussion about the merits of a 2% inflation target, I don't know if he influenced John but that policy is still with us today and is largely responsible for our successful economy.

Alan Llewellyn

Post by Alan Llewellyn » Mon Sep 11, 2017 10:33 pm

he said that the treasury was pushing hard for a 0% target, hitting the money supply figures to get 0% inflation hits the money in the business managers pocket thus hitting investment for 6.

Alan Llewellyn

Post by Alan Llewellyn » Mon Sep 11, 2017 10:37 pm

the trickle no-where effect

John Reyes

Post by John Reyes » Tue Sep 12, 2017 10:46 am

Alan Llewellyn wrote:I went to another club in Manchester held in a bowling green pub, I didn't like it but the White swan club which I subsequently went to was an extremely friendly club more like the ones I was used to in Cumbria, like the Barrow-in-Furness and Ulverston clubs.

the club you was talking about was South Manchester chess Club and they played at the Albert Club in Didsbury

I used to play for the Peoples chess club, but the history of how there was formed, not that is a story!!

Alan smith is still playing as well as some of the other
Any postings on here represent my personal views only and also Dyslexia as well

Alan Llewellyn

Post by Alan Llewellyn » Tue Sep 12, 2017 3:19 pm

John reyes, why did they become like a social club sounding name, whats the story behind them forming. ive had other clubs do that on me, the ulverston chess club became the leave them laughing ulverston chess collective I kid you not. I was the ulverston club secretary and the next thing I knew we were defunct.

John Reyes

Post by John Reyes » Tue Sep 12, 2017 3:30 pm

Alan Llewellyn wrote:John reyes, why did they become like a social club sounding name, whats the story behind them forming. ive had other clubs do that on me, the ulverston chess club became the leave them laughing ulverston chess collective I kid you not. I was the ulverston club secretary and the next thing I knew we were defunct.

well what happen was that the White Swan was playing there on a Tuesday, but Melih Kancelik wanted to sent up a chess club in the area and they views was ok and for the people. We playing in the Manchester league and I did play for them for a season and we just miss out of winning the cup final vs Stockport 3 that season as well.

then they had discussed about joint up as the white swan was in A division and had a Strong team and the peoples was in Division D with players under the 120 and below, so it did make sense to join up.

we wanted the name to be the Peoples Chess club, but then they agreed on the Withington Peoples chess club.
Any postings on here represent my personal views only and also Dyslexia as well