A game in Leyland Congress vs a.sainsbury

Discuss anything you like about chess related matters in this forum.
Roger de Coverly

Re: An interest recent game in my club champ

Post by Roger de Coverly » Thu Sep 07, 2017 12:18 pm

Jonathan Bryant wrote:Lucena

I reached this position in the Major Open at Llandudno. Black to move obviously. I realised that the bridging Rc2 fails to .. Rh8 so that Kc1 is met by Rh1 mate.

A few moves later I got this position where Rc2 now wins.

Alan Llewellyn

Post by Alan Llewellyn » Thu Sep 07, 2017 12:45 pm

I have been censored
Last edited by Alan Llewellyn on Sun Sep 10, 2017 12:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Alan Llewellyn

Post by Alan Llewellyn » Thu Sep 07, 2017 12:47 pm

are there exceptions

Jonathan Bryant

Post by Jonathan Bryant » Thu Sep 07, 2017 12:55 pm

e.g. Black to play below is =.

Although the short side / long side distinction is irrelevant to Philidor because the defending king stays in front of the pawn.

IM Jack Rudd

Post by IM Jack Rudd » Thu Sep 07, 2017 1:04 pm

It also depends on how far advanced the pawn is. Once the pawn has reached the seventh, it's usually too late.

JustinHorton

Post by JustinHorton » Thu Sep 07, 2017 1:57 pm

There was a little bit of Lucena in one of yesterday's games, maybe Vidit
"Do you play chess?"
"Yes, but I prefer a game with a better chance of cheating."

lostontime.blogspot.com

Roger de Coverly

Post by Roger de Coverly » Thu Sep 07, 2017 3:45 pm

JustinHorton wrote:There was a little bit of Lucena in one of yesterday's games, maybe Vidit
Black (Vidit) played 70. .. Rd5 and White resigned.

JustinHorton

Post by JustinHorton » Thu Sep 07, 2017 3:52 pm

Yeah, kind of echoes of Lucena rather than Lucena per se
"Do you play chess?"
"Yes, but I prefer a game with a better chance of cheating."

lostontime.blogspot.com

Jonathan Bryant

Post by Jonathan Bryant » Thu Sep 07, 2017 5:05 pm

JustinHorton wrote:Yeah, kind of echoes of Lucena rather than Lucena per se

I think technically the pawn has to be on the 7th for it to be a Lucena position. So maybe Black Approaches Lucena is the pedant’s choice?

Martin Benjamin

Post by Martin Benjamin » Thu Sep 07, 2017 11:42 pm

Roger de Coverly wrote:
Jonathan Bryant wrote:Lucena

I reached this position in the Major Open at Llandudno. Black to move obviously. I realised that the bridging Rc2 fails to .. Rh8 so that Kc1 is met by Rh1 mate.

A few moves later I got this position where Rc2 now wins.

Roger - maybe I am tired and missing something obvious, but I don't understand. In the first position, Rc2 is still winning, I think. After Rh8, Black can play Rc5 and build a bridge, as one way to win, of which there appear to be several.

Roger de Coverly

Post by Roger de Coverly » Fri Sep 08, 2017 12:18 am

Martin Benjamin wrote: Roger - maybe I am tired and missing something obvious, but I don't understand. In the first position, Rc2 is still winning, I think.
The Shredder tablebase confirms that I took fright of a ghost. Kb1-c1 loses after Black has played Rb8-h8, but there are several other winning ideas.

If anyone plays through the game from the Major Open, there are several other errors. In particular when I simplify to a 5 man R+P v R ending, it's actually drawn if my opponent plays the correct first move. The alternative of simplifying to K+P v K is totally winning.

Without annotations, this is it.

Alan Llewellyn

Post by Alan Llewellyn » Fri Sep 08, 2017 2:11 am

I have been censored
Last edited by Alan Llewellyn on Sun Sep 10, 2017 12:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Jonathan Bryant

Post by Jonathan Bryant » Fri Sep 08, 2017 8:24 am

Roger de Coverly wrote: ... there are several other errors. In particular when I simplify to a 5 man R+P v R ending, it's actually drawn if my opponent plays the correct first move. The alternative of simplifying to K+P v K is totally winning.
Ah yes. When you take the pawn the king reaches a key square.

I’d known about the concept of key squares for a while but never realised how much they simplify the king and pawn process until Angus French demonstrated it to me. E.g. there’s nothing to left calculate after 74 ... Rxe4 (instead of ... Rd7) 75 Kxe4 Kc5, 76 Kd3 Kb4.

The game in Bristol I mentioned above reached a similar drawn Rook + knight’s pawn v Rook ending as your opponent could have gone for. I went into it knowing full well my opponent wouldn’t know how to defend it though.

One of the things I remember from my rook and pawn versus rook splurge a few years ago is that in your game if something like

71 Kf3 (instead of Kf2) Rd4, 72 Ke3 Rd7

it might look hopeless but you actually need the king to be cut off by three files with a knight’s pawn behind half way. White draws by 73 Rg1 and defending from the front.

Needless to say, I don’t play anywhere near enough for this knowledge to be particularly useful in practical play. Or, to put it another way, I might in theory have played the ending more accurately but because you’re much the better you reach the position in the first place and I wouldn’t.

Tim Spanton

Post by Tim Spanton » Fri Sep 08, 2017 12:47 pm

Going back to the opening, surely it's a Nimzowitsch English, not a Botvinnik English?

Roger de Coverly

Post by Roger de Coverly » Fri Sep 08, 2017 3:04 pm

Tim Spanton wrote:Going back to the opening, surely it's a Nimzowitsch English, not a Botvinnik English?
A key point, I thought, of the Botvinnik approach was to put the Knight on e2 (e7 if Black). That masks to some extent the hole on d4, since Bg4 is no longer a pin on the Knight on f3. Black might still play it, but f3 may be possible. Nimzowitsch would play against a Sicilian without playing d4 and chuck in c4, even when he appeared to modern eyes to be playing a Grand Prix Attack.

If you search the structure c4,Nc3,d3,e4,Nf3,g3,Bg2 the first games appear in the 1920s with the usual stars of that era giving it a go.

In the Botvinnik structure with the Knight on e2, the earliest game is one by Staunton, admittedly played as an anti-Dutch Stonewall. There are also games in the 1920s and later, pre-dating Botvinnik.