London chess-FIDE open

Discuss anything you like about chess related matters in this forum.
Roger de Coverly

Re: London chess-FIDE open

Post by Roger de Coverly » Fri Sep 15, 2017 4:32 pm

Christopher Kreuzer wrote: It is strange that you have to ferret around in the pdf of the rules to find the exact timetable.
Indeed. There doesn't appear to be anything directly on the website. Indeed the way the "ticket" times are presented almost implies a double round on the final Saturday.

Weekend tournament players are used to the problem, but if I use my nearest station, the earliest I could arrive on a Sunday morning could be around 30 minutes or more after the round started.

Roger de Coverly

Post by Roger de Coverly » Fri Sep 15, 2017 4:38 pm

Christopher Kreuzer wrote:
Is the point being made that running a tournament in London carries additional risks of defaults because a number of people chose to commute great distances rather than stay in a central hotel?
The point being made is asking why the organisers are forcing players to register getting on for 24 hours before the event starts. It isn't common UK practice to do this and isn't required for the 5 day events starting on the Monday. The Nigel Short row in the Isle of Man about re-pairings didn't help as FIDE ruled against the common UK practice of pairing everyone who entered and having a secondary pairing for those without an opponent or those entering on the day.

John McKenna

Post by John McKenna » Fri Sep 15, 2017 4:44 pm

".. Indeed the way the "ticket" times are presented almost implies a double round on the final Saturday..."

More usual is a single round with an earlier start on the final Sat!?

Christopher Kreuzer

Post by Christopher Kreuzer » Fri Sep 15, 2017 4:47 pm

I get you now. You are saying that it is the Sunday morning round that could be a problem (this was not clear in your initial post, as you talked about the functioning of road and rail transport on the Saturday). And that the registration being a day beforehand could be a problem (quite reasonably, some people might only intend to arrive on the Saturday for the 1630 start). If I was playing (I won't be as it is too expensive) then I could go after work to register. But I suppose the organisers want to know well in advance who is not going to be there.

Roger de Coverly

Post by Roger de Coverly » Fri Sep 15, 2017 4:53 pm

Christopher Kreuzer wrote: But I suppose the organisers want to know well in advance who is not going to be there.
I would email them Friday evening, but that by no means guarantees that I would be able to show up Saturday afternoon. If they get pairings out by midnight on Friday, that at least enables preparation for the first round.

Arguably the people they really want to confirm their attendance are foreign players, particularly those who received free entry.

John McKenna

Post by John McKenna » Fri Sep 15, 2017 4:57 pm

Chris, are you sure about that 16:30 start on the 1st Sat? Seems to me a bit late for a Sat.

Roger de Coverly

Post by Roger de Coverly » Fri Sep 15, 2017 5:11 pm

John McKenna wrote:Chris, are you sure about that 16:30 start on the 1st Sat? Seems to me a bit late for a Sat.
The first Saturday is a rest day in the Classic with it being reported that the first round is going to be somewhere else. The implication then is that the regular venue isn't available until the Saturday. Playing at the same time every day is the popular structure for one round a day British events.

John McKenna

Post by John McKenna » Fri Sep 15, 2017 5:21 pm

Thanks, Roger, I'll take that under advisement and plead the 5th if I am asked to confirm anything.

soheil_hooshdaran

Post by soheil_hooshdaran » Fri Sep 15, 2017 5:48 pm

Who should I email to send me invitation? I can find no email on http://www.londonchessclassic.com/

John McKenna

Post by John McKenna » Fri Sep 15, 2017 6:13 pm

Presumably you mean for the purpose of obtaining a visa?

soheil_hooshdaran

Post by soheil_hooshdaran » Fri Sep 15, 2017 8:30 pm

Yes, I need an invitation to go to the Embassy to obtain visa.

Nick Grey

Post by Nick Grey » Fri Sep 15, 2017 9:34 pm

Of course if there is a bomb or other terrorist incident on a transport route it will cause a problem. As will other unscheduled items like frozen points and signals, strike action etc.

My day today - New Malden to Wimbledon - announcement incident on district line suggest to travel into waterloo. No stay on train to Clapham Junction. 49 bus to High Street Kensington. Let manager know who was working from home that I'm in and not on that tube. A little work, shopping, eat and leave early. Bus to Kensington Olympia. Oh that's nice got the Classic to look forward too (my next holiday from work). Train to Clapham Junction and then to New Malden.

Organised 3 more fixtures for the season. So only Kingston v Richmond A teams in Thames Valley League One to go for me.

Had some nice journeys helping others that do not know their way around last year. The only default I experienced was against a foreign woman player and even then they organised a game for me - only my opponent was a bit weaker so only got credit on ECF and not Fide. More highlights on seeing people having been so ill for a few months before.

Nice to know brochure is out and hopefully pick up a few tomorrow and get to our chess club. And seeing you at the South v North of River match tomorrow and hopefully no transport issues. And also during London Chess Classic.

Roger de Coverly

Post by Roger de Coverly » Sat Sep 16, 2017 8:24 am

soheil_hooshdaran wrote:Who should I email to send me invitation?

There's an 8 page entry form at
http://www.londonchessclassic.com/downl ... y-Form.pdf
but it doesn't give any names or mention the process for getting a visa invitation.

You are probably expected to use
Enquiries: [email protected]

David Sedgwick

Post by David Sedgwick » Sat Sep 16, 2017 9:26 am

soheil_hooshdaran wrote:Who should I email to send me invitation?
Roger de Coverly wrote:You are probably expected to use
Enquiries: [email protected]
That is my understanding.

soheil_hooshdaran

Post by soheil_hooshdaran » Mon Sep 18, 2017 8:43 pm

Oops...he emailed me saying that I should first register....I thought it works the other way around