London chess-FIDE open

Discuss anything you like about chess related matters in this forum.
John McKenna

Re: London chess-FIDE open

Post by John McKenna » Fri Sep 22, 2017 12:52 am

soheil_hooshdaran wrote:I've found an email on a website and emailed that, but I am not sure if I emailed the right person.
As Roger said, you need to concentrate on getting the visa- as soon as possible - with it you will be ready be on your way, so to speak.

This is the advice to Iranians on the UK Gov. website for visa applications -

"You can apply for a visit visa at any UK Visa Application Centre (VAC), anywhere in the world, including the application centres in Tehran, Turkey... "

John McKenna

Post by John McKenna » Fri Sep 22, 2017 10:11 am

(continued from above)

"Important Information -

Appointments to make an application in Tehran are released weekly. If you are unable to secure an appointment at the Tehran Visa Application Centre,you will have the following options:

Save your application and return later to see whether an appointment has become available or new appointments have been released. Your application will be saved for up to 250 days...

If you have secured an appointment at the Tehran Visa Application Centre,you will need to register on the website of our commercial partner, VFS BEFORE you attend the Visa Application Centre. Failure to register will delay your appointment.

If you have secured an appointment at a Visa Application Centre in Turkey, you will need to register on the website of our commercial partner, Teleperformance. Please note there is an additional fee to use the VAC in Adana and Antalya, Turkey. This fee will be added to your visa fee during the payment process."

NickFaulks

Post by NickFaulks » Fri Sep 22, 2017 11:17 am

John McKenna wrote:"You can apply for a visit visa at any UK Visa Application Centre (VAC), anywhere in the world "
That sounds helpful. We once planned to take a Filipino friend on a brief Eurostar trip to Paris, only to be told with evident relish by a French consular official that they would have to travel to Manila to obtain a visa.
If you want a picture of the future, imagine a QR code stamped on a human face — forever.

John McKenna

Post by John McKenna » Fri Sep 22, 2017 11:54 am

The advice you quoted me quoting is for Iranians, Nick.

It may not apply to citizens of all other countries.

John McKenna

Post by John McKenna » Fri Sep 22, 2017 2:06 pm

John McKenna wrote:The advice you quoted me quoting is for Iranians, Nick.

Regarding the above visa application info - it would seem that all nationalities are equal now -

"The immigration rules are applied in the same way to all UK visa applications lodged around the world and where a UK visa applicant can show they satisfy the immigration rules, their visa will be granted, whatever their nationality...

We strongly advise all UK visa applicants not to book travel until they have received their visa. However, we do understand that there are, from time-to-time, exceptional circumstances which require urgent travel. We aim to provide an efficient service to all applicants and whenever possible will ensure that those needing to travel urgently receive a result on their application as quickly as possible. Those with urgent travel requirements are advised to purchase the optional Priority Visa service."
(UK Gov.)

soheil_hooshdaran

Post by soheil_hooshdaran » Fri Sep 22, 2017 2:53 pm

My question is how to go about it.
I emau=iled the consulate and still got no answer.

Roger de Coverly

Post by Roger de Coverly » Fri Sep 22, 2017 3:01 pm

soheil_hooshdaran wrote:My question is how to go about it.
You might do better to ask on an Iranian site. There would be limited experience on a British site of how to apply for a visa to visit Britain.

John McKenna

Post by John McKenna » Fri Sep 22, 2017 3:31 pm

Yes, other Iranians who have visited the UK fairly recently should be able to offer better advice than this forum.

Note that Consulates may no longer process visa applations anymore. The work has been increasingly transferred to new Visa Application Centres (VACs).

For a list (by country) from which you can find the nearest VAC see -

https://www.gov.uk/find-a-visa-application-centre

NickFaulks

Post by NickFaulks » Fri Sep 22, 2017 10:37 pm

John McKenna wrote:The advice you quoted me quoting is for Iranians, Nick.

I was talking about the French authorities. We know what they're like.
If you want a picture of the future, imagine a QR code stamped on a human face — forever.

John McKenna

Post by John McKenna » Sat Sep 23, 2017 10:02 am

"I was talking about the French authorities... "

The thought had crossed my mind, Nick.

The Eurocentric expectation is, of course, that all non-European visitors to this region should avail themselves of a Schengen visa first and a UK visa second.

soheil_hooshdaran

Post by soheil_hooshdaran » Sun Sep 24, 2017 2:18 am

Roger de Coverly wrote:
soheil_hooshdaran wrote:My question is how to go about it.
You might do better to ask on an Iranian site. There would be limited experience on a British site of how to apply for a visa to visit Britain.
Iran is behind you in this respect. Chess forums are just beginning to appear and are not frequented by professionals. We mostly use telegram channels, where you cannot make threads, unfortunately.

soheil_hooshdaran

Post by soheil_hooshdaran » Fri Sep 29, 2017 5:51 am

John McKenna wrote:(continued from above)

"Important Information -

Appointments to make an application in Tehran are released weekly. If you are unable to secure an appointment at the Tehran Visa Application Centre,you will have the following options:

Save your application and return later to see whether an appointment has become available or new appointments have been released. Your application will be saved for up to 250 days...

If you have secured an appointment at the Tehran Visa Application Centre,you will need to register on the website of our commercial partner, VFS BEFORE you attend the Visa Application Centre. Failure to register will delay your appointment.

If you have secured an appointment at a Visa Application Centre in Turkey, you will need to register on the website of our commercial partner, Teleperformance. Please note there is an additional fee to use the VAC in Adana and Antalya, Turkey. This fee will be added to your visa fee during the payment process."
The problem is, I won't be is Iran until Oct 16

John McKenna

Post by John McKenna » Fri Sep 29, 2017 8:01 am

That could indeed be a problem since any delay jeopardizes obtaining a visa in time.

Many a chessplayer's journey has foundered on that particular rock.

The first Persian ambassador to Europe (1599-1602) travelled via Moscow and had intended to visit the British Isles but never quite made it past parts of what is now known as the 'Schengen' area -

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Persian ... 80%931602)

soheil_hooshdaran

Post by soheil_hooshdaran » Tue Oct 03, 2017 4:49 pm

Do the organizers provide the participants with accommodation?
What will the accommodation and feedsng cost?

LawrenceCooper

Post by LawrenceCooper » Tue Oct 03, 2017 5:00 pm

soheil_hooshdaran wrote:Do the organizers provide the participants with accommodation?
What will the accommodation and feedsng cost?
Not unless you are a titled player being offered conditions.

For a rough guide to accommodation costs: https://www.hotelmap.com/pro/MUQEP Food is obviously extra and can range from a few quid for a Tesco Meal Deal to £10 upwards for an evening meal.