Who may J'adoube ?

Discuss anything you like about chess related matters in this forum.
E Michael White

Who may J'adoube ?

Post by E Michael White » Tue Sep 19, 2017 9:16 am

Lets say W hurriedly moves his R, leaving it placed brexitwise 52% on f4 and 48% on f5 and then forgets to press his clock.Who may j'adoube the R ?
FIDE Law 4.2.1 wrote: Only the player having the move may adjust one or more pieces on their squares, provided that he first expresses his intention (for example by saying “j’adoube” or “I adjust”).
So W cant j'adoube it. What about B ?
FIDE Law 6.2.5 wrote: 6.2.5 Only the player whose clock is running is allowed to adjust the pieces.
and B can't either.

JustinHorton

Re: Who may J'adoube ?

Post by JustinHorton » Tue Sep 19, 2017 9:42 am

White, because common sense says so.
"Do you play chess?"
"Yes, but I prefer a game with a better chance of cheating."

lostontime.blogspot.com

Graham Borrowdale

Post by Graham Borrowdale » Tue Sep 19, 2017 12:39 pm

JustinHorton wrote:White, because common sense says so.
And white, because he still has the move, not having pressed the clock.
Whether he adjusts it to f4 or f5 would depend on whether he were a remainer or a brexiter.

E Michael White

Post by E Michael White » Tue Sep 19, 2017 3:55 pm

Graham Borrowdale wrote:And white, because he still has the move, not having pressed the clock.
since 2001 the laws state that B has the move when W has made his move, not completed it by pressing the clock.
FIDE Laws 2001 - 1.1 wrote: .................. A player is said to 'have the move', when his opponent's move has been made.
What would Boris do as W? Possibly stand up and shout, "That was f4 or f5", as appropriate".

Ian Thompson

Post by Ian Thompson » Tue Sep 19, 2017 6:16 pm

E Michael White wrote:Lets say W hurriedly moves his R, leaving it placed brexitwise 52% on f4 and 48% on f5 and then forgets to press his clock.Who may j'adoube the R ?
Neither player because it should be dealt with under Law 7.4.1 (displaced pieces).

Nick Grey

Post by Nick Grey » Tue Sep 19, 2017 7:32 pm

Stop clock and call the arbiter. Who makes decision normally by looking at the move recorded on the scoresheet.
I'm pretty sure most players and arbiters have not got good enough eye sight to judge whether 52/48%.

After Brexit perhaps ECF ought to go it's own way and leave Fide?

Or is that too much like "what have the Roman's done for us"?

Michael Farthing

Post by Michael Farthing » Tue Sep 19, 2017 7:48 pm

I assume that all contributors to this thread are discounting the obvious, and nearly always practised, answer in the interests of maintaining a fun piece of pointless debating?

Paul McKeown

Post by Paul McKeown » Wed Sep 20, 2017 1:40 pm

Is this thread for real?

Joey Stewart

Post by Joey Stewart » Thu Sep 21, 2017 10:31 am

Attend enough rapidplay events and you will see this happen for real, usually during time scrambles, and always with the piece ending up on the preferable square.

Not sure what would happen now that the "illegal move" rule is in place - the offended player would be in his rights to claim a win, but I would imagine he would be met with staunch resistance by the piecexit player who would complain most bitterly that the piece being 48% on one square is grounds to restart the entire game.
Lose one queen and it is a disaster, Lose 1000 queens and it is just a statistic.

Graham Borrowdale

Post by Graham Borrowdale » Thu Sep 21, 2017 10:57 am

Joey Stewart wrote: .. I would imagine he would be met with staunch resistance by the piecexit player who would complain most bitterly that the piece being 48% on one square is grounds to restart the entire game.
Very good! If the rook on f4.52 were a pawn in a race in a blitz finish it would most likely arrive on f6 next move.

Paul, where is your sense of humour - most posts on here are tongue in cheek!