Where are the chess sets?

Discussions regarding the 70,000 Free Chess Sets for Schools in England.
John Upham

Re: Where are the chess sets?

Post by John Upham » Fri Oct 16, 2009 2:34 pm

These are boxes. Can anyone see any sets or boards? :shock:
British Chess News : britishchessnews.com
Twitter: @BritishChess
Facebook: facebook.com/groups/britishchess :D

Carl Hibbard

Post by Carl Hibbard » Fri Oct 16, 2009 2:37 pm

John Upham wrote:These are boxes. Can anyone see any sets or boards? :shock:
Ten set's in each box, perhaps the 130 boxes quoted by Peter Wilson in that picture - roll up boards inside as well probably?
Cheers
Carl Hibbard

Carl Hibbard

Post by Carl Hibbard » Fri Oct 16, 2009 5:35 pm

Carl Hibbard wrote:
John Upham wrote:These are boxes. Can anyone see any sets or boards? :shock:
Ten set's in each box, perhaps the 130 boxes quoted by Peter Wilson in that picture - roll up boards inside as well probably?
This is to be applauded although it's still less than 2% of the 8,000 schools promised and doesn't yet require a parade :!:
Cheers
Carl Hibbard

John Upham

Post by John Upham » Fri Oct 16, 2009 6:16 pm

I think you'll find that the picture is that of boxes being loaded onto a lorry at the HP premises in Basingstoke rather than turning up at a depot in East Sussex.

Carl Hibbard

Post by Carl Hibbard » Fri Oct 16, 2009 6:18 pm

John Upham wrote:I think you'll find that the picture is that of boxes being loaded onto a lorry at the HP premises in Basingstoke rather than turning up at a depot in East Sussex.
The image is named "load" of course - why you wait until less than 24 hours before the AGM is of course anyone's guess :lol:
Cheers
Carl Hibbard

John Upham

Post by John Upham » Fri Oct 16, 2009 6:22 pm

Carl Hibbard wrote: The image is named "load" of course - why you wait until less than 24 hours before the AGM is of course anyone's guess :lol:
Don't forget that there is no timestamp on this image and that 500 sets were produced long, long ago.

Perhaps this image had been available for some time to be published one day before the AGM. I did predict very good news just before the AGM don't forget!

Carl Hibbard

Post by Carl Hibbard » Fri Oct 16, 2009 6:25 pm

Is say 200 schools in a 12 month period considered acceptable I have to ask :?:
Cheers
Carl Hibbard

Carl Hibbard

Post by Carl Hibbard » Fri Oct 16, 2009 6:38 pm

John Upham wrote:Don't forget that there is no timestamp on this image and that 500 sets were produced long, long ago.
July 2008 those 500 sets were produced in case anyone wonders why I am being a little sarcastic this evening

:cry:
Cheers
Carl Hibbard

Matthew Turner

Post by Matthew Turner » Fri Oct 16, 2009 9:40 pm

I don't know what to think about this. We seem to know that 500 sets were produced, but it would seem that 350 have already been distributed (so 150 are left). The photo shows 37 large boxes which appear to be at least big enough to hold ten sets (why produce boxes that held less than 10 sets?)
Therefore, there are two possibilities
1. Holloid has produced more than the initial sets
2. There is a deliberate attempt to mislead.
I cannot really believe that the ECF would go to the effort to getting a lorry to deliver empty boxes, so it would seem to me that Holloid have produced more sets - Interesting?

John Anderson

Post by John Anderson » Fri Oct 16, 2009 10:43 pm

Maybe they are not unloading the lorry. It might be the boxes only contain one set in each (of the wrong size!) and that they are sending them all back to China! 8-)

Carl Hibbard

Post by Carl Hibbard » Sat Oct 17, 2009 1:31 am

Matthew Turner wrote:I don't know what to think about this. We seem to know that 500 sets were produced, but it would seem that 350 have already been distributed (so 150 are left). The photo shows 37 large boxes which appear to be at least big enough to hold ten sets (why produce boxes that held less than 10 sets?)
Therefore, there are two possibilities
1. Holloid has produced more than the initial sets
2. There is a deliberate attempt to mislead.
I cannot really believe that the ECF would go to the effort to getting a lorry to deliver empty boxes, so it would seem to me that Holloid have produced more sets - Interesting?
I am taking the post from Andrew Martin (via Peter Wilson...) at face value...

130 "boxes" of 10, perhaps 150 so some have been made yes to distribute to 150 schools in one LEA
Cheers
Carl Hibbard

Matthew Turner

Post by Matthew Turner » Sat Oct 17, 2009 8:17 am

There is still an important question to be asked. Who has paid for the production of these sets?

Neill Cooper

Post by Neill Cooper » Sat Oct 17, 2009 8:33 am

Where is the press release or other description of what is happening? Just a single line which says very little.
Where is Chris Majer's statement about what has happened?

Carl Hibbard

Post by Carl Hibbard » Sat Oct 17, 2009 9:22 am

Matthew Turner wrote:There is still an important question to be asked. Who has paid for the production of these sets?
For once I don't see an issue, I am really happy that Holloid actually paid for sets to distribute to one LEA so perhaps 150 schools are good to go!

Sorting it all out the day before the AGM is of course a giant arse covering exercise

So good news but that's your lot for this year - generate some more free publicity on the back of this and see how it goes

The chances of getting 7,850 further boxes of ten sets are still slim to zero in my opinion
Cheers
Carl Hibbard

Carl Hibbard

Post by Carl Hibbard » Sat Oct 17, 2009 9:28 am

Neill Cooper wrote:Where is the press release or other description of what is happening? Just a single line which says very little.
Where is Chris Majer's statement about what has happened?
To be honest I really don't think Chris knows - the biggest mistake in this entire fiasco was to hand the entire project over to Holloid and so now everything is secret and we have a written "understanding" that sets will be produced, when and where remains a mystery :?

So now this just runs and runs, you cannot afford to hassle Holloid and upset them - so you sit tight and hope things turn out right

I have been very critical of this project of course but I just don't see how else you can play it
Cheers
Carl Hibbard